WAFL Attendance Figures

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Dennis rules!!!!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Unfortunately 10c weather, 100km winds, and torrential rain ( i mean melbourne and sydney standard) for half the game, it was lucky to get 1000.

Stadiums Seagull were you the quieter of the lot of the East Supporters during the last quarter in a sharks jumper and thongs?

It was so funny the shIte weather the Easties fans went physcho and generally thought they were in with a chance when they scored 2 goals in a row.

Love their optimisim...just like my Thunder optimism...nah but they did provide some better atmosphere then the Sth Fremantle Retirement Village :wink: ...they were all tucked up inside the bar as even Ducks wouldnt want to have been out on Friday night :wink:

I was wearing the 990 shirt but had to wear a jumper

Perth Derby was a whitewash and not as big as usual due to the AFL game, quite dissapointin...but PEEL LOST AGAIN :(

Have Subiaco v Swan Districts at Leederville this Friday Night, so hopefully the Swannies beat the untameable beast in Subiaco...anything under a 50 point victory for Subi I will be happy with :D

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

These figures actually turned out bigger then the estimates by journos in the paper...am quite happy with these crowds considering what it could have been.

West Perth v East Perth at Joondalup 1,992
Swan Dist v Perth at Steel Blue 1,918
South Frem v East Frem at Fremantle 1,750
Claremont v Peel at Claremont 1,245

3 WAFL games and watching the Western Derby this week...ahh why would I ever want to move to Melbourne :wink:

Compared to corresponding fixtures last year, every game except the derbies and EP v SD (East Perths form has been shocking) have increased their crowd figures...which is a great sign...and Peel Thunder have just announced they will be destroying their old clubrooms and stand and will create a new clubrooms with a small stand at the front. Should be fantastic facilities.

Expect averages at 2,500-3000 at Steel Blue Oval if Swan Districts continues its great form.

SFv EP (03,04-1697 ave), (05, 2501), +804
Sv EF (03,04-1226 ave), (05, 1684) +458
CL v WP (03,04-1664 ave) (05, 7812) +6148
SDv PT (03,04-1603 ave) (05, 1805) +315
Pv S (03,04-1456 ave) (05, 1579) +123
PT v SF (03,04-1268 ave) (05, 1434) +166
EP v CL (03.04-1991 ave) (05, 2509) +518
EFv SD (03,04-1731 ave) (05, 1459) -272
SD v P (03,04-1732 ave) (05, 1918) +186
CL v PT (03,04-1218 ave) (05, 1245) +27
WP v EP (03,04-3000 ave) (05, 1992) -1008
SF v EF (03,04-3269 ave) (05, 1750) -1519

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

West Perth has finally worked out this Joondalup/West Perth naming issue, and has designed a new logo, it will continue to be known as the West Perth Football Club, but it has included the words Joondalup to further integrate them into the local community. While they will be known as the Falcons or West Perth when talking about the club.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

That WP-EP crowd looks like a shocker to me. Isn't that derby clash supposed to be huge?

Rice Paper
Bronze

Post by Rice Paper »

Egan,

You've mentioned several times about time clashes between WAFL games and AFL games. What are the optimal times for the local league and what times should the WC Eagles and Freo play, on a home and away basis given the time differences around the country.

If you feel this passionately about it, have you contacted the WFC or the both AFL clubs to make your point?

What would be the biggest crowd a WC / Freo derby get if WA had the stadium to fit?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Egan wrote:West Perth has finally worked out this Joondalup/West Perth naming issue, and has designed a new logo, it will continue to be known as the West Perth Football Club, but it has included the words Joondalup to further integrate them into the local community. While they will be known as the Falcons or West Perth when talking about the club.

The concepts behind this logo remind me of what St Kilda did during the mid-late 80's when they had a flirtation of having the St Kilda Football Club logo but with Moorabbin Saints on it. Same goes for Frankston in the VFA (note no VFL :P ) featuring Peninsula Dolphins on the club crest.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

You could have sold 100,000 seats for the Derby last year, the Dockers and Eagles had to win to get into the final...so the derby was massive...and the year before when both sides were neck and neck 100,000 seats could have been sold, because basically Derbies are the privilege of only the home side members, so adding 30,000 Dockers memberships to the 40,000 Eagles memberships, then adding 30,000 General Public. 100,000 is quite attainable.

Up until a few years ago the WAFL had the domain of Saturday and the AFL had played Saturday Night games at 6:30pm rather then 5:40pm, this hour difference has caused caos. Then you have games on Saturday Afternoon coming which had never happened in Perth for the first 12 or so years of AFL.

Mate I am not that passionate about it, this thread is about attendance figures, and WAFL crowds have been improving, last weekends weather dented the crowd considerably. Hmm I dont think i have mentioned it that much, but its something we have lived with, and the crowds did go down when the AFL made the decision, but in the last few years the crowds have been on the way up...especially at Fremantle Oval, Steel Blue Oval and Leederville Oval.

Yob the Perth Derby was affected by Fair Weather Supporters (Most of Perth) worried about if another storm would hit, although it was a fine day, the previous night would have dented the crowd, it is a dissapointment but weather shot the crowd for both derbies or the Eagles v Geelong clash, but something has to be to blame, 3-4000 without fail for derbies every year...add East Perths crummy form.

Hopefully the biggest Derby weekend of the year Foundation Day Weekend is not a farce with weather and they get a good solid crowd.

For the Swan Districts v Sth Fremantle Clash at Steel Blue Oval on Anzac Day, I am hoping a crowd of about 3-3,500 people, especially if both sides remain unbeaten before then.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Was at Leederville Oval tonight estimate about 1900 people and Swan Districts lost by 60 points, award the premiership to Subiaco tommorow.

Will show you the photo I took with the stands conjoined on Monday...man the lights were very impressive as good if not better then the lights at Members Equity Stadium.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Again my prediction is failed only by 101 people :wink:

Subiaco v Swan Dist at Leederville 2,001
Peel v West Perth at Rushton 1,679 #
East Frem v Claremont at East Fremantle 1,569
Perth v South Frem at EFTel 1,425

East Fremantle's crowd is incredibly dissapointing, no AFL game and an absolutley fantastic day.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

South Frem v Subiaco at Fremantle 1,989
West Perth v East Frem at Joondalup 1,762
East Perth v Peel at Leederville 1,723
Claremont v Perth at Claremont 1,458

Crowds this weekend, although they dont look much at all, the crowds at these venues have increased remarkably this season.

Its a good sign.

Looking forward to the big clash on Anzac Day

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

IS the WAFL Anzac Day clash a grand final rematch like in the SANFL? I love those matches. Thank god there's an alternative to that bottom of the ladder tripe the AFL is serving up.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nope I think it has only been going a few years...was reading an act saying that 60% of ticket revenue from sporting events on Anzac Day have to go to the Anzac Day Trust.

Bassendean hosted the same corresponding fixture last year...cannot wait for it, should be mint.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

If they did program a GF replay for Anzac Day and advertise it big, the crowds will come.

Its a pity that the WAFL doesn't have a neutral venue like Adelaide Oval to play it on, that's probably one reason why the concept works here.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

This Swan Districts game will be massive 3-4000 people which is a great crowd for Perth...its the perfect WAFL ground and the perfect place for Anzac Day, cannot wait to witness the match, am so looking forward to it.

WAFL, Test Cricket are two sports the Perth public couldnt be stuffed about anymore...its highly pissing me off. :x

Soccer and Rugby Union have replaced this,