Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
russ13
Bronze

Post by russ13 »

Just when was I using peak NRL data & average for the AFL?

I posted the Roy Master's article to highlight that about $100 million (you say it is $75 million -I can accept that) of the AFL deal was contra & that the cash amount that the AFL were to receive was only about $20 million a year more than the NRL's TV contract.

BTW is there any surety that the AFL games will get better FTA treatment in Queensland & NSW?

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

russ13 wrote:Just when was I using peak NRL data & average for the AFL?
As I said - from Roy Masters. You don't remember the great 'Rugby League surges further ahead in South-East Queensland' thread you started. Just to refresh your memory, you posted a (predictabley) innacurate article from Roy on page 9 of that thread. Here was my post in reply in 1/4/05 (page 10) -
Interesting thread this. Just to pick up on a few points. Roy Masters - I remember him from a few years back when The Age (stablemate of the SMH), had him briefly as a columnist. Went down like lead balloon in Melbourne. His journalist motto must be 'Never let the facts get in the way of a good story' (usually applicable to News Ltd).

In this case, he used minimun figure (192,000) for Brisbane Lions ratings, but average (301,000) for Broncos. Correct comparison (on averages) was 245,000 for Lions and 301,000 for Broncos. Also remember that 33,000 also attended Lions game in Brisbane, so comparision really should be 278,000 to 301,000. ....

OK - So it was comparing average to minimum, rather than peak to average, but the point remains the same.
russ13 wrote:... I posted the Roy Master's article to highlight that about $100 million (you say it is $75 million -I can accept that) of the AFL deal was contra & that the cash amount that the AFL were to receive was only about $20 million a year more than the NRL's TV contract.
AFL TV rights under new 5 year contract -
$156m per year made up of cash $140m contra $16m
NRL 6 year contract
$100m per year including contra.
I can't recall the NRL contra amount (only that it "included contra", and am not even sure if these details have been made public. My guess would be around the $10m mark (the present NRL Foxtel contract was revealed in the current ch7 court case against News Ltd/ch9 as being over $20m per year contra!). Anyway, this makes a cash difference somewhere around $50m per annum, not $20m.

Rus, if you know the cash/contra split up for NRL, feel free to inform us - from a reliable source of course (ie NOT Roy Masters).
russ13 wrote:...BTW is there any surety that the AFL games will get better FTA treatment in Queensland & NSW?
Good question, Rus (I mean that too). The short answer ATM appears to be - NO. In fact, it may be worse on FTA than at present. As Yob and I have alluded to on previous posts here, it is apparent there will be a much stronger pay TV element to this agreement (presumably as appears increasingly likely, it isn't matched by ch7/10). Though there is some talk of SBS involvement, I doubt it will happen. I guess we'll have to wait and see what transpires (this year at least will remain the same) but there is no 'surety' at all from what I've read.

As already mentioned, Foxtel have a much lower take-up rate (% of population) in Vic/WA/SA/Tas as compared to NSW/Qld. This has been attributed to the lack of quality AFL games on Foxtel under the present TV rights. Unfortunately, the new agreement may be out to change this - at the expence of the quantity and/or quality of FTA coverage, which is a concern (unless you have pay TV, which I happily don't).

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I think regardless of the coverage into NSW and QLD, I think they should be quite coy about the loss of watchers in Western Australia especially if the teams spiral downwards and if the Force is a success in crowd numbers and increase in Foxtel subscriptions.

The addition of some Eagles and Dockers games having to be watched through Foxtel will further the gain Rugby Union could take hold of...they have just added Rockingham to the premier division and the money that the Force will have to build Rugby into a major player will be significant.

After a decade of abandoning WA and SA, despite record crowds and Dockers membership hitting 30,000 and over 1000 more then at the same time next year...the threat of Super 14 eating away at the AFL market is real, especially the normal blanket coverage it gets during Pre-Season, having to be the bridesmaid, for Force's first ever match.

We always focus on NSW and QLD, but Rugby Union is certainly going to fight to grab a big part of WA's winter market, if successful we could see a large chunk of juniors switch codes - have known people who have played Rugby since I was 12.

So are the AFL just going to think that its safe in WA, or will it actually get up and actually do something in Western Australia before the chunk of its market is lost.

Not likely, the aspect of the AFL's problems is that is way to NSW/QLD focus for my liking and it abandons the traditional area's and shows no regards to a competition like the WAFL and SANFL...especially with fixture scheduling.

Because of this, you will likely see the beginning of a decline in football in Western Australia...it will always be our number one sport, but juniors, rankings on tv and crowd attendance could all suffer...but namely Juniors.

All because of the ignorance of the AFL and its obscession with NSW/QLD...which although doing very well, are we getting the rewards we have put in?

That question won't be answered for another 16 years.

russ13
Bronze

Post by russ13 »

Sandy

Channel 10 in Brisbane have a half-hour program called Queensland Rules. It was screened every Saturday arvo. They have announced that the show will be cancelled if Channel 10 don't have the rights to screen AFL games this year.

Without starting a new thread on TV ratings here are the lions TV ratings in South-East Queensland:
Brisbane Lions Average Qld. TV Ratings

1 St Kilda (Thu Night - Gabba) 234,000
2 Port Adelaide (Sat Night - AAMI) 184,000
3 Sydney (Sat Night - Gabba) 168,000
4 Hawthorn (Sat afternoon - MCG) 134,000
5 West Coast (Sun afternoon - Gabba) 115,000
6 Essendon (Sat Night - Docklands) 195,000
7 Western Bulldogs (Sat Night - Gabba) 199,000
8 Adelaide (Sat Night - AAMI) 181,000
9 Richmond (Sat Night - Gabba) 161,000
10 Kangaroos (Sat Night - Gabba) 156,000
11 Fremantle (Sat Night - Subiaco) 182,000
12 Carlton (Sat Night - Docklands) 193,000
13 Geelong (Sun afternoon - Gabba) 165,000
14 Melbourne (Sat Night - Gabba) 164,000
15 Collingwood (Sat Night - Gabba) 211,000
16 West Coast (Sat Night - Subiaco) 217,000
17 Essendon (Sat Night - Gabba) 177,000
18 Western Bulldogs (Sat Night - Docklands) 168,000
19 Hawthorn (Sun afternoon - Gabba) 128,000
20 Sydney (Sun afternoon - Telstra) 120,000
21 Port Adelaide (Sat Night - Gabba) 149,000
22 St Kilda (Sat Night - Docklands) 108,000

Average: 169,000

2004 average: 175,000

Sat Afternoon games average: 134,000
Sat Night games average: 165,000
Sun afternoon games average: 132,000

Here are my comments on another site about TV ratings in this area:
...To summarize (for the Brisbane region):

1) Not one home & away AFL game made the top 10 watched programs for any week;
2)Not one home & away AFL game made the top 100 TV programs for the season;
3) NRL GF got 778,000 to the AFLs 341,435 (last year's AFL GF got 590,000);
4)10 RL programs were in the top 25 for the years & the all beat the AFL GF which came in at 24th on the list.
5) The RL programs came 1st, 2nd ,3rd,4th, 5th,6th 8th,equal 10th (Anzac Test), 18th & 22nd.

Egan

Do you know anything about football-particularly the rugby codes?

I ask this question because I my view the Western Force RU team is virtually no threat whatsoever to AFL in WA. This is because of a number of factors including:

1) a third of the Super 14 season is over before the AFL start;
2)the Super 14 is over in early May;
3)RU games will only ever be played every fortnight whereas AFL games can be played every week in WA. Union is heavily dependant on interstate & overseas teams-the AFL in WA isn't;
4)just a cursory glance over the playing talent reveals they have very few exciting of talented players in their squad. Bookmakers have installed them as equal rank outsiders to win the competition.

It is two years since the 2003 RUWC in Australia. This event was to be the watershed when RU was supposed to takeover everything in Australia.

Look what has happened since:

1) No RU game made the top 100 TV programs in Australia in 2005;
2) Southern states are refusing to take RU tests live;
3) RL test (screened after a 2 hour delay) now out-rate RU test shown live in Queensland & NSW. The Anzac Test out rated the last Bledisloe Test by 100% in Brisbane & nerrly the same in Sydney;
4)Reports are in that actual playing numbers have dropped;

5)the aggregate crowds to the 2005 Super 12 games have fallen to below 400,000.

Union in Australia is all hype & no substance. They barely have 120 pro-players. Their new talent is very thin on the ground & they have an ageing national squad that has won 2 games in the last 10 played.

The last time the British & Irish Lions played a WA side (2001) the WA side was beaten 114 to nil. I believe the WA side may have had a couple of ring-in from the eastern states. My bet it will take more than a basically transported team to improve RU's standard in the short term. The WA AFL teams are nearly world's best.

If I was a impressionable junior (potential) footballer in WA it is pretty obvious who I would pick to aspire to be-it won't be union in that location

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

You were not in WA prior to, or leading up to the Force's admission into the competition.
If I was a impressionable junior (potential) footballer in WA it is pretty obvious who I would pick to aspire to be-it won't be union in that location
Talent in Western Australia is increasing with the Schoolboys having a record number of players playing from WA.

Just wait and see my friend, Rugby in WA is massively hyped at the moment and will be the godsend for ARU.

Like i state and people off the forum agree with me, people view Union as their second sport or first sport, has wide appeal from the main sectors of society in Western Australia - that is the AFL population, Soccer Population etc etc...view the culture and the future of Rugby Union from Eastern States Stats...at your peril.

I am 100% confident RU in Perth is going to be huge...its not just a one year hype...

If you also notice the culture in WA, the fact is because there is so few games, the games will be hyped up and thus people will flock there...rely on hype to get crowds for all sporting events.

Union is more popular in WA then many on this forum fail to accept...

Union may seek significant damage on Aussie Rules...

I am not saying it will...just stating that it could very well do so, because of the underlying support...especially if the Dockers are successful this year...we will be getting closer to an AFL lock out at Subiaco Oval.

For Force games, people will be able to just rock up on the night for most of the games...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Egan wrote: I am 100% confident RU in Perth is going to be huge...its not just a one year hype...
Remains to be seen...obviously :)
Egan wrote:
If you also notice the culture in WA, the fact is because there is so few games, the games will be hyped up and thus people will flock there...rely on hype to get crowds for all sporting events.
Way to build your house of cards on sand, man. When I am King of my very own football club I'll be avoiding hype like the plague. Publicity? You need that. But taking it the next step and treating ordinary club matches as 'events' is a sure fire way to lose credibility. It works fine when the team's winning but not-living up to your own hype isn't just ordinary failure - it will full-on back fire on you, you'll be a laughing stock, the try-hard club. Just like the Sydney Kings became - they've never recovered the credibility they now richly deserve.
Egan wrote:
Union is more popular in WA then many on this forum fail to accept...
That's probably true, you've slowly brought me around to that way of thinking.
Egan wrote:
Union may seek significant damage on Aussie Rules...

I am not saying it will...just stating that it could very well do so, because of the underlying support...especially if the Dockers are successful this year...we will be getting closer to an AFL lock out at Subiaco Oval.

For Force games, people will be able to just rock up on the night for most of the games...
Not at the prices the Force are charging for shi.tty views at Subi. I wouldn't rock up on a whim - I'd need to save up for a couple of weeks before committing to a game.

There's some weird logic in what you're saying about lock-outs at subi. That the 40k capacity is damaging for the two AFL clubs because its too small I accept, but wouldn't it also follow that a successful Force side would also be victim of the same capacity problem?

I'll nail my colours to the mast on the Force - I hate them. They've been unbelievably arrogant - who the bloody hell would charge such large amounts to watch football at a stadium that provides only 1/4 or so of the fans with half-decent views (and no excellent views) of the pitch? I hope their pricing policy bites them on the arse. The emperor has no clothes IMHO.

And a brand new club playing such a short season is no way to create, let alone cement hard core support. 4 months worth of football? How can that do long-term damage to the two AFL clubs? I doubt it will in the long run. Sure they'll shake things up in February and March 2006 but they'll never come close to eclipsing the Dockers and the Eagles, no matter how over-ambitious the ARU has bccome.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Agree with the sentiment...

The hype thing pisses me off so much, but people only go to sport here after massive publicity...even Doodemaide stated that the passion for Cricket was at a high because of the Ashes series...yet the Ashes have had no lasting effect in other cities around the country - maybe Melbourne though.

Simmo

Fremantle Dockers at inception - 16,000 members (Yobbo has got the stats on this forum

Western Force at inception - 20,000+

Dockers were still at 24,000 members up until 2001-2....it has exploded in the last year or two...and membership strength is continuing with membership probably reaching 36,000 this year.

If the Force do an Adelaide United...the Dockers have a woeful year...the mixture is right for AFL to be severely impacted on...The Dockers supporters are probably the least bandwagon of all our AFL sides as shown by the solid attendance figures this year, despite a very dissapointing season. But another dissapointing season and the media will murder them so much, the membership will definately fall...and many may switch codes if Force hype continues...

The Force are already ahead of the Fremantle Dockers in Membership at inaugural stage, Corporate Facilities are sold out and a million dollar a season sponsorship with Emirates.

The Dockers did not have this at the start...Diamond, Gold, Silver memberships the most expensive have all sold out.

The ticket prices are the same as going to a Glory game in General Admission for students..., Cheaper then rocking up to a Wildcats match in the worst seats, same price as Eagles and Dockers tickets watching football in the same stands.

Concession Prices for Membership for Perth Sporting teams
Force - Iron Membership - $140
Wildcats - Silver Membership (lowest level of membership) - $189
Perth Glory - General Admission - $156
Fremantle Dockers - Budget Membership - $150
*West Coast Eagles do not even advertise memberships because of the lock out...although apparently budget seats are cheaper for the Eagles then the Dockers...

I know its less games, but the fact is...the membership option taking out the benefits that the other Perth teams do not give its members, mean the price for the cheapest Season membeship is very comparable to other sports in the city.

So really compared to the two other minor sport teams...the Force are far cheaper...although your point about the quality of the watching is valid, I do not find Subiaco Oval a very bad spot for me to watch the game...although it would be far better to watch at a rectangular field.

Its the pricier seats which sets it apart from the other codes...they have been in such demand they have been sold out...the price structure for Iron Membership includes Public Transport worth $18 free(thats how much it would have cost from where I live to get to the Rugby) and also a free cap worth $30 plus priority purchase to the ever sold out Rugby Union Test match...

The setting up of the Force has been very West Coast Eagles like...but the difference is appeal for Union has been embraced throughout the city...

More Force shirts then you can poke a stick at are now on sale at sports shops throughout the city...

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Thanks Rus for pointing out that Friday night NRL (not to mention SOO) has attracted some higher ratings than Saturday night AFL. Who would have thought?? :roll: . Of course, as this thread is about TV rights for the whole country, not just Qld, I suppose you could look at doing a similar post on ratings for every state to make it all relevant to the thread.
As for the posts about RU in WA. Obviously I have no local knowledge at all, but Simmo's views seem more convincing than Egan's for me. Sure, there'll be hype aplenty and big crowds in attendance to start with (including no doubt those that yelled racial abuse at the WACA), but lets wait a few years and see how they're going then. And remember - RU super 14 has no FTA coverage at all. I don't think the AFL would be overly worried. Nor would I expect mass defections from AF to RU amongst seriously talented young players (other than South Africans) - far fewer playing positions (ie teams) and much less money on offer overall compared to AFL.

Meanwhile, we await the ch7/10 response (if there is one) to the ch9 bid, due at the end of this week.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Sandy, I haven't looked at the figures for a while but I believe if you take both sets of ratings (metro, non-metro) and put them together you get the NRL Friday Night Football coming out infront of the AFL Friday Night Football nationally.

As I said, it's been a while and I'd have to look it up properly, which frankly I can't be arsed doing.

But I just thought I'd put it out there.

Carry on.

russ13
Bronze

Post by russ13 »

A little off the subject but here are the Irish TV numbers for 2005:

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusiness ... 4396.shtml

Ozabyss
Bronze

Post by Ozabyss »

Seven and Ten have come back:

HUN today:
Seven, Ten to match AFL bid
05 January 2006 Herald Sun
From AAP

CHANNELS 7 and 10 say they have won the fight for the licence to broadcast the AFL from 2007 to 2011 after matching Channel 9's $780 million bid for the rights.

"Network Ten and the Seven Network today advised the Australian Football League (AFL) that both networks have accepted the terms for television rights for the 2007-2011 football seasons," the companies said in a statement.

Executive chairman of Network Ten, Nick Falloon, said that since acquiring the rights in 2001, AFL had become an important feature of Ten's programming schedule.

"We are excited about continuing our successful AFL relationship for seasons 2007-2011," Mr Falloon said.

Seven Network Limited executive chairman Kerry Stokes said the company was pleased to be back in football.

"We have made great advances in news and public affairs, breakfast television and primetime over the past 18 months and can't wait for football to be back on Seven in 2007," Mr Stokes said.

Ten and Seven had first and last agreement with the AFL for television coverage for the 2007-2011 football seasons.

Seven and Ten's original bid for the AFL rights was $740 million.

But PBL made the higher offer of $780 million on December 23.

It was the last business decision made by media mogul Kerry Packer, who died three days later on Boxing Day.

"Ten and Seven will match the offer made by Publishing and Broadcasting Limited to the Australian Football League including the consideration, namely $780 million ($87.5 million of which is contra) over five years, with such consideration to be shared between Ten and Seven based on match allocations across all television media," they said.

Ten and Seven said they will allocate rights to all games and will further define the allocation and scheduling of matches, including the finals and grand final, with details to be released in the coming months.

The current five-year AFL broadcasting deal worth $400 million involving Nine, Ten and Foxtel runs out at the end of the 2006 season.

Meanwhile Seven had agreed to discontinue its current Federal Court action against Ten in relation to the negotiation of television rights for AFL and National Rugby League in 2000.

Seven was suing 22 parties in the Federal Court, including the AFL and the National Rugby League (NRL), for $1 billion over the 2002 demise of its pay TV sports channel C7.

It's action against the AFL was discontinued in December.

Victorian readers can find what the AFL TV rights deal means for them in tomorrow's Herald Sun print edition. Senior footy writers Mike Sheahan and Damian Barrett will dissect the bids and outline the implications for all AFL viewers.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

It is now 100% official...

Channel 7 and Network 10 have obtained the rights to AFL from 2007-2011.

:D :D :D :D
Media Release: Completion of Broadcast Rights for 2007 - 2011
4:17:55 PM Thu 5 January, 2006
Australian Football League

The Australian Football League today announced that the Channel Seven and Channel Ten Networks have exercised their rights under the first and last rights agreement to match the offer made to the AFL by PBL on December 23, 2005 to broadcast all eight games per week on Free to Air TV for five years commencing in 2007.

The AFL intends to hold discussions with Networks Seven and Ten over the coming weeks to finalise the programming schedule for the broadcast rights period. Full details of the coverage schedule will be publicly announced when those discussions have been completed.

In making the announcement, AFL CEO Mr. Andrew Demetriou said: "The AFL congratulates the Seven and Ten Networks on acquiring the rights to broadcast AFL games from 2007 to 2011. Network Ten has been a great partner since 2001, and we have no doubt that this already successful partnership will continue to flourish in coming years."

"The AFL and all Australian football fans are aware of the strong historical links between our game and the Seven Network, and we look forward to working with them again in the future."

"I would also like to recognise the enormous contribution that PBL has made to Australian football. The whole organisation, under the leadership of the late Kerry Packer, has been a great friend to our game, and we thank the PBL management team for the commitment and enthusiasm they brought to the relationship with the AFL, and in particular for the outstanding offer on December 23rd last year. We will continue to work closely with PBL and we are sure that 2006 will be another outstanding year for football on Channel 9."

Mr. Demetriou also said: "The new broadcasting rights agreement will deliver the best financial and national programming package in the history of the game, and provide an important contribution to the ongoing growth of our game."

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Egan

had a long reply worked out to your last post but it didn’t post dammit

in a nutshell my reply is:

- The Force is very expensive, not cheap like you seem to think.
you’ve been quite disingenuous with your comparisons between the Force and the other sports. You’ve picked the price of the small number of restricted viewing seats (Iron category) with the general admission prices for the other sports. Not a fair comparison at all (apples and oranges).
A genuine comparison would be between general admission at the others and the Nickel category (category C) which is $250 for an adult ($42 per match) or 200 for concession ($33 per game) for tickets behind the goals –that would be the equivalent of the category C tickets at the other sports. Are you paying $33 per match to stand behind the goals in the Shed?
a more accurate comparison would be to compare average ticket prices with average ticket prices. The average price at the Force appears to be the Silver category – $330 for an adult ($55 per game) or $265 for concession ($44 per game). Again, that’s not cheap for an average ticket. $55 per game for an adult is at luxury or ‘event’ levels, not ordinary, run-of-the-mill football matches. Figures are from here:-
http://www.rugbywa.com.au/verve/_resour ... ochWeb.pdf

compare with the Wildcats:-
http://www.wildcats.com.au/index.php?id ... 007d8f5ce8
$19 per match for an adult in the Cateogry C tickets.

$19.50 adult General Admission for the Glory (behind the goals).

compare with the Dockers:-
http://fremantlefc.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/a ... 4178ao.pdf
$24 per match in the Category C tickets (Standard)

You are paying twice as much to watch the Force as you are to watch any other club in Perth. Are they really that good?

a more accurate comparison would be to compare average ticket prices with average ticket prices. The average price at the Force appears to be the Silver category – $330 for an adult ($55 per game) or $265 for concession ($44 per game). Again, that’s not cheap for an average ticket. $55 per game for an adult is at luxury or ‘event’ levels, not ordinary, run-of-the-mill football matches.

And they come off just as badly when the most expensive Category A tickets are compared.Are they really that good? Personally I think they’re about to price themselves out of the market which will serve the bastards right.

- my opinion of the Force is pretty much dictated by their pricing policy. No matter how much goodwill there is towards this new franchise right now, that won’t count for much when it becomes apparent that the team is not strong on the pitch and the club is asking pretty ridiculous amounts for a crap Subiaco view of a substandard team. No amount of hype can cover those cracks.

- damage to AFL would be minimal, particularly as you’ve highlighted that possibility in the context of the Force “doing an Adelaide Utd” and the Dockers having another crap season.
è a) the Force have the 2nd weakest squad in the Super 14 and will be very lucky to crack the top 10, let alone reach the finals, let alone end up two games ahead of the rest of the pack like Utd have. There’s 0.1% chance of them doing an Adelaide Utd.
è b) you’ve argued that the Dockers fans are the least bandwaggoning in the AFL, but have then contrarily suggested that their members might abandon them and even switch codes after another poor season. Not likely. Particularly this year. By the time the Dockers fans will have realised their club isn’t going to make the finals the Super 14 will have been over for a few months (the Force’s season even earlier).
è c) and aren’t the Eagles bigger anyway and any collective loss to the AFL made by the Dockers could be recouped by the Weagles being AFL favourites?

dan027
Bronze

Post by dan027 »

oh great, now we once again have to put up with "special" and rex hunt again untill 2011 :roll:

Jazzamcc
Bronze

Post by Jazzamcc »

At least there will be NO Eddie McGuire :D

I hope Dennis Cometti signs back with Channel 7, he is a great commentator.

Downside of course is bloody Bruce :evil: