Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Waz wrote:Bring back Bruce!!!
I think you'll get that SPECIAL wish. But not if young Mr Packer gets his way! This was the back page headlines in todays HUN, even knocking off the Spring Carnival. I didn't miss Packers reference to the AFL as a sport, but thats how its been marketed up north. I also note the possiblity of FTA games being reduced from 5 to 3, with the remainder on Foxsports. I hope it doesn't happen, but who knows? Will have to wait and see what sort of money they (ch9) put up to match Jame's mouth -

Packer's pledge: I want footy on Nine
Damian Barrett
27oct05

JAMES Packer yesterday labelled the AFL Australia's premier sport and vowed his Nine Network would do all it could to retain the game's broadcast rights. Speaking publicly for the first time about the rights battle, Packer, executive chairman of PBL, warned Nine remained determined to defeat the Channels 7 and 10 alliance.

The concession from the NRL rights holder that AFL was No. 1 indicates PBL-led Nine is ready to fire its best shot in the rights war. "We want to keep them if we can," Packer said yesterday. "I am not quite sure how the bid will play out tactically, but . . . the AFL is the premier sport of Australia and we would love to have it on our network, and we will try hard to end up with it on our network."

Nine's commercial relationship with the AFL strengthened yesterday with confirmation of yesterday's Herald Sun report outlining AFL deals with betting agency Betfair, which is half-owned by PBL, and Tabcorp. Industry sources yesterday said the Betfair deal -- which, when combined with the Tabcorp contract, would reap the AFL more than $7.5 million over five years -- strengthened the PBL-Nine position with the AFL.

Packer's pledge comes as the Seven-Ten consortium continued a legal challenge of aspects of the AFL's first offer of refusal presented two weeks ago. While the next deal is still expected to be completed by late December, the legal maneuvering is set to slow negotiations for the rights deal that is expected to incorporate the 2007-11 seasons.

In its contractual first rights obligations delivered to the Seven-Ten bid two weeks ago, the AFL placed a $140 million-a-year price tag on its post-2006 rights to broadcast the game. It is expected the offer will be rejected -- a standard procedure in TV rights negotiations -- which would allow Nine to submit its best offer. The AFL must then offer last rights to the Seven-Ten alliance.

Nine has formed an alliance with Foxtel, with a 4-4 split of games on free-to-air and Pay-TV understood to be its preferred position. It would, however, probably switch to a 5-3 arrangement if the AFL demanded. The Seven-Ten consortium has settled for 5-3.

Crucial to the next deal will be the AFL's stance on coverage of matches into New South Wales and Queensland on Friday nights. The AFL ideally wants live, or near-live, coverage, which the Seven-Ten deal is best equipped to deliver. Nine, committed to an NRL double-header on most Fridays, would argue Foxtel could best broadcast that slot into the developing markets.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

I can't see channel 9 retaining the rights unfortunately. But it would be great as I believe they're by far the leading broadcaster out of them, ten & fox, quality wise. Also, channel 9 broadcast to Foxtel Digital in widescreen digital while Channel 7 & 10 have refused to sign an agreement at this stage therefore we can only view in shitty 4:3 format - not good considering I just purchased a Plasma & upgraded to Foxtel Digital. :evil:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

sandyhill wrote:
Waz wrote:Bring back Bruce!!!
I think you'll get that SPECIAL wish. But not if young Mr Packer gets his way! This was the back page headlines in todays HUN, even knocking off the Spring Carnival. I didn't miss Packers reference to the AFL as a sport, but thats how its been marketed up north. I also note the possiblity of FTA games being reduced from 5 to 3, with the remainder on Foxsports. I hope it doesn't happen, but who knows? Will have to wait and see what sort of money they (ch9) put up to match Jame's mouth -

Packer's pledge: I want footy on Nine
Damian Barrett
27oct05

JAMES Packer yesterday labelled the AFL Australia's premier sport and vowed his Nine Network would do all it could to retain the game's broadcast rights. Speaking publicly for the first time about the rights battle, Packer, executive chairman of PBL, warned Nine remained determined to defeat the Channels 7 and 10 alliance.

The concession from the NRL rights holder that AFL was No. 1 indicates PBL-led Nine is ready to fire its best shot in the rights war. "We want to keep them if we can," Packer said yesterday. "I am not quite sure how the bid will play out tactically, but . . . the AFL is the premier sport of Australia and we would love to have it on our network, and we will try hard to end up with it on our network."

Nine's commercial relationship with the AFL strengthened yesterday with confirmation of yesterday's Herald Sun report outlining AFL deals with betting agency Betfair, which is half-owned by PBL, and Tabcorp. Industry sources yesterday said the Betfair deal -- which, when combined with the Tabcorp contract, would reap the AFL more than $7.5 million over five years -- strengthened the PBL-Nine position with the AFL.

Packer's pledge comes as the Seven-Ten consortium continued a legal challenge of aspects of the AFL's first offer of refusal presented two weeks ago. While the next deal is still expected to be completed by late December, the legal maneuvering is set to slow negotiations for the rights deal that is expected to incorporate the 2007-11 seasons.

In its contractual first rights obligations delivered to the Seven-Ten bid two weeks ago, the AFL placed a $140 million-a-year price tag on its post-2006 rights to broadcast the game. It is expected the offer will be rejected -- a standard procedure in TV rights negotiations -- which would allow Nine to submit its best offer. The AFL must then offer last rights to the Seven-Ten alliance.

Nine has formed an alliance with Foxtel, with a 4-4 split of games on free-to-air and Pay-TV understood to be its preferred position. It would, however, probably switch to a 5-3 arrangement if the AFL demanded. The Seven-Ten consortium has settled for 5-3.

Crucial to the next deal will be the AFL's stance on coverage of matches into New South Wales and Queensland on Friday nights. The AFL ideally wants live, or near-live, coverage, which the Seven-Ten deal is best equipped to deliver. Nine, committed to an NRL double-header on most Fridays, would argue Foxtel could best broadcast that slot into the developing markets.
Awesome. Another 7.5 million to go to the Bulldogs, Demons and Kangaroos!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

cam wrote:I can't see channel 9 retaining the rights unfortunately. But it would be great as I believe they're by far the leading broadcaster out of them, ten & fox, quality wise. Also, channel 9 broadcast to Foxtel Digital in widescreen digital while Channel 7 & 10 have refused to sign an agreement at this stage therefore we can only view in shitty 4:3 format - not good considering I just purchased a Plasma & upgraded to Foxtel Digital. :evil:
Sorry I far prefer Channel 10

Then the Eddiewood Channel.

But thats because I don't want to continually see Eddie go spastic every Friday Night, that ruin a good game of footy...

Sorry, the sympathy runs out with your tv purchase...

Forever_Queensland
Bronze

Post by Forever_Queensland »

i have no idea how Ch9 would work a 5-3 deal with Foxtel. they'd have 2 NRL Games Friday Nite; one live, one delayed; as well as a Sunday Arvo game.

I hope it goes to 7 and 10, then 9 can put all its efforts (not much really) into advertising League

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Forever_Queensland wrote:i have no idea how Ch9 would work a 5-3 deal with Foxtel. they'd have 2 NRL Games Friday Nite; one live, one delayed; as well as a Sunday Arvo game.
Probably the same way it does now with 9 broadcasting the 2 Saturday games that 10 does now.

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

The latest in this now long running tug of war - They aim to have it wrapped up by Christmas. Looks like whoever 'wins' will be paying up big for the privelage.

Nine deal could lead to extra $15m
15 December 2005 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

CHANNEL 9's bid to continue broadcasting AFL matches could be as much as $15 million a year higher than its rivals. While Nine, in partnership with Foxtel and News Limited, is yet to officially submit an offer for the football rights beyond 2006, it is understood its bid will be significantly nearer the $140 million per annum asking price set by the AFL. An alliance of Channels 7 and 10, which owns the crucial rights to bid last, has told the AFL it is prepared to spend up to $120 million a year for all eight weekly matches.

The AFL is hopeful of finalising the post-2006 TV deals next week. Its greatest challenge is weighing the financially lucrative Nine bid against the ability of the rival consortium to televise the game at more suitable times into NSW and Queensland, and other key regional areas.

The Nine-Foxtel alliance is pushing for four matches on both free-to-air and pay-TV each week. Their proposal seems dependent on the AFL agreeing to Friday night matches being broadcast in NSW and Queensland on Foxtel, as Nine has commitments to National Rugby League double-headers in the northern states on those nights.

The preference for Seven and Ten is to share five free-to-air matches a week, leaving three for pay-TV. However, Seven and Ten have told the AFL they will broadcast all eight games if necessary.

In its first rights document sent to Channels 7 and 10 in October, the AFL requested $140 million -- cash -- per year for the next rights period. The duration of the next deal is dependent on the successful bidder. Seven and Ten are pushing for a six-year commitment, in order to evenly split finals, while Nine and Foxtel are understood to be satisfied with five.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The 9/Fox bid is entirely a cash bid. By all accounts the 7/10 bid has a significant disneyland/monopoly money component. Something around 90 million cash, the rest contra.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

This is unconfirmed internet rumour:

Apparently the AFL has accepted the 9/Fox deal. A press conference is on right now.

7/10 has 14 days to match the 9/Fox offer, otherwise it's channel 9 for 5 more years!

Apparently 700 million over 5 years - 140 million per year, cash.

#EDIT 1: Apparently SBS are on board! Live FTA in NSW and QLD! That's one way to battle our arch nemesis in Sydney, the Iron Chef! :lol:

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

yob wrote:#EDIT 1: Apparently SBS are on board! Live FTA in NSW and QLD! That's one way to battle our arch nemesis in Sydney, the Iron Chef! :lol:
:lol:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

$780 million over 5 years.

Ozabyss
Bronze

Post by Ozabyss »

yob wrote:$780 million over 5 years.
Big money, but hope 7 & 10 come back, although have 9 just blown them out of the water?

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

A bloody big Christmas present for the AFL! :shock: Ch 9 have delivered on James Packer's statement (see post 27/10 above). Looks like it'll be a very jolly Christmas party at AFL HQ.

Yob's bit about SBS involvement appears to me to be a furphy. What is apparently possible is that if ch 7 & 10 can't match this massive offer, then its still possible for ch10 to then negotiate its own deal with ch9 - but this time with ch9 holding all the aces it's so expensively paid for.

Nine, AFL agree terms
Sportal

The AFL has announced that it has accepted a five-year, $780 million TV broadcast rights offer from PBL on behalf of the Channel Nine network to telecast the game from 2007-2011.

... the league revealed that it has agreed terms with PBL to cover all eight games every week from 2007. As part of the arrangement, the Nine Network will then have the right to sublicense the rights to up to four matches per week to a pay-TV broadcaster, which it would be expected to do with the Fox Footy Channel.

But both Evans and Demetriou emphasised several times the fact that the deal is not yet over the line, rather the Channel Seven and Channel 10 alliance now has 14 days - until January 6 - to respond to the offer. Five years ago Channel Seven paid for the first and last rights, meaning Channels Seven and Ten can now claim the rights if they are willing to match PBL's offer both financially and in terms of coverage.

"The AFL Commission has this afternoon decided to accept an offer from PBL on behalf of Nine Network for the right to broadcast all eight games for five years commencing 2007," Evans said... "Final details will only be known when we receive a response from Seven and Ten. I do know coverage will be better, especially in key growth markets. The financial component was also important." (no kidding!)
Last edited by sandyhill on Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

$780,000,000

Per year - $156,000,000

Per round - $6,000,000 (26 weeks inc. finals)

Per game - $843,243.24 (156,000,000/185 games)

Per quarter - $210,810.81

Any way you look at it...it's huge money for Australian sport :shock:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I was quite stunned when I heard this...where does it leave the negotiations for the NRL rights? What will the party from the Ch10/7 consortium who doesn't get into bed as 9's junior party do? How does this affect all other sports given there will be far fewer $$$ available to all other sports?