Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Egan wrote:Imagine the Force if they got coverage on Channel 7 in Perth and people could watch them, not just those with pay tv.
Not enough to get onto FTA in the first place - so imagine is all you can do.
Egan wrote:...Rugby supporters generally go to pubs to watch the games in Perth, these numbers don't reflect pub numbers either.
The only useful conclusion - rugby union supporters are generally drunks!

The numbers actually avidly watching the game at pubs wouldn't add up to much. Bearing in mind the comparativley few that attend the S14 games, and with no FTA coverage at all, those ratings provided by Rob and Ricardo reveal what a deep hole S14 RU has fallen into.

In fairness, the RU purists (believe it or not, I know a couple) do point out that S14, with its bonus points system is only a gimmick competition, much like what 20/20 is too cricket, and they would happily ascede to its abolition - which is slowly becoming ever more likely at the expiration of the current News Ltd contract. Of course, Perth doesn't have many RU purists - thus many over there are still under the delusion that the nonense competition known as Super :roll: 14 is the real deal. In fact, S14 is to RU what the NSL was to soccer.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

sandyhill wrote:The numbers actually avidly watching the game at pubs wouldn't add up to much. Bearing in mind the comparativley few that attend the S14 games, and with no FTA coverage at all, those ratings provided by Rob and Ricardo reveal what a deep hole S14 RU has fallen into.

In fairness, the RU purists (believe it or not, I know a couple) do point out that S14, with its bonus points system is only a gimmick competition, much like what 20/20 is too cricket, and they would happily ascede to its abolition - which is slowly becoming ever more likely at the expiration of the current News Ltd contract. Of course, Perth doesn't have many RU purists - thus many over there are still under the delusion that the nonense competition known as Super :roll: 14 is the real deal. In fact, S14 is to RU what the NSL was to soccer.
I read this whole thing with the sounds and images of the fight scenes from old Batman TV series playing in my mind. BAM! POW! WHACK!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:Imagine the Force if they got coverage on Channel 7 in Perth and people could watch them, not just those with pay tv.

Rugby supporters generally go to pubs to watch the games in Perth, these numbers don't reflect pub numbers either.
I'd say that based on those figures, rugby supporters in perth generally go to the game, and there aint many others.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:
I'd say that based on those figures, rugby supporters in perth generally go to the game, and there aint many others.
As you have noted before the Foxtel penetration in Perth is very small, a bit hypocritical to use it for the AFL but not the Rugby...

And flies in the face of the study that an independent body did for the Western Force.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Of course, Perth doesn't have many RU purists - thus many over there are still under the delusion that the nonense competition known as Super 14 is the real deal. In fact, S14 is to RU what the NSL was to soccer.
It surprises me the people who have already been proven wrong about the Force continue to make up sh*t.

go to www.thewholeforce.com and realise most of the fans are 'rugby' purists.

The levels that people go to bag Union is quite sad, we should rename this -Anythingbutunion.com

The debate is always hijaked to the extreme pessimism.

We will just abandon the performance of the other Australian sides as a reason for the crowds and just bag the competition.

Despite the Waratahs being the cause of the upgrade of Aussie.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Egan wrote:
Rob wrote:
As you have noted before the Foxtel penetration in Perth is very small, a bit hypocritical to use it for the AFL but not the Rugby...

And flies in the face of the study that an independent body did for the Western Force.
can we see it?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:Despite the Waratahs being the cause of the upgrade of Aussie.
It wasn't all to do with the popularity of the Rah Rahs. An upgrade of Aussie was already privately mooted on account of, "big events," being lost interstate and to Homebush Bay. Plus, the Waratahs were threatening to leave after Souths had already vacated the SFS so the SFS were particularly desperate.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:And flies in the face of the study that an independent body did for the Western Force.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

"Independent Body, Independent Body on the Wall: How's the Forciest of them all?"
"er...you?"
"Sweet"

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Go to the Major Stadia Taskforce website and read the submission WA Rugby had with the geographic spread of Force members and there was 180,000 interested enough to attend matches.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:
Rob wrote:

40,000 Egan! That's the *national* audience.

And why do you think Foxtel penetration into Perth is poor, yet in Brisbane and Sydney it's much much higher? Because most AFL fans in Perth don't need Foxtel to follow their team, as it's on FTA every week. Rugby (union & league) fans do. If you're a union supporter, pay TV is a deadset must, because only a tiny minority of games make it onto FTA.

So for that reason, i'd expect most serious union supporters would have Foxtel.

In any case, i'll be at a pub in Northbridge tomorrow night, be interesting to see how many people are watching the rugby.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:Go to the Major Stadia Taskforce website and read the submission WA Rugby had with the geographic spread of Force members and there was 180,000 interested enough to attend matches.
Now you're just being silly Egan. Well, at least anyone who genuinely believes that is.

Just out of interest, was it another independent survey that WA Rugby conducted?

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Egan wrote:
Of course, Perth doesn't have many RU purists - thus many over there are still under the delusion that the nonense competition known as Super 14 is the real deal. In fact, S14 is to RU what the NSL was to soccer.
It surprises me the people who have already been proven wrong about the Force continue to make up sh*t. go to www.thewholeforce.com and realise most of the fans are 'rugby' purists.
I tried, but all I found were 'Sooper 14' purists like the following -
Image[/quote]
Keep in mind - you can't be a rugby 'purist' and also follow Sooper 14. One or the other but not both.
Egan wrote: ... The levels that people go to bag Union is quite sad. ...
But it feels so good, it must be right! :D 8)
Egan wrote: ... we should rename this -Anythingbutunion.com ...
Hmmm - not a bad suggestion that. Though to be fair, those S14 threads have had some excellent South African cheerleader viewpoints, in addition to our learned inciteful comments
Egan wrote: ... The debate is always hijaked to the extreme pessimism. ...
Which in this case doubles up as realism.
Egan wrote: ... We will just abandon the performance of the other Australian sides as a reason for the crowds and just bag the competition.
Bandwagoners? No, the truth about this comp is spreading fast - just hasn't yet crossed the Nullabor. I guess that'll take a couple of years.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Rob wrote: Now you're just being silly Egan. Well, at least anyone who genuinely believes that is.
I'd certainly believe it .
The questionaire would be worded "interested "
They never word questionaires like " would you like to pay way above the AFL average (already the highest here in WA) to watch RU in a venue not suited to RU .

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

This thread needs more piscatorial imagery.