Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Post by sandyhill »

Just heard confirmed on the radio - ch 7 & 10 will be putting a joint bid for AFL FTA rights for after 2006 (when current ch 9 & 10 bid expires).

This is BIG. It means things WILL change from present setup after next season. Opens posssibility that all 3 networks might have a slice (eg Fri, Sat and Sun - one day each). If not, I would favour the joint 7/10 bid as they can more easily deliver on AFL desire to have prime time TV into NSW/Qld, including regional networks Prime & Southern Cross (as they don't have rugby commmittments). They should also be able to spend more than ch9 could on their own (just as 9 & 10 outbid ch7 for the present agreement). They also have last rights refusal (previously bought for $10m by ch7 - who also own Telstra Dome don't forget).

Don't know yet if News Ltd involved with this bid (they actually are the overall present rights holders, but sublet to ch 9, 10, Foxtel)?

However, prime time into NSW/Qld would most likely cost the AFL money to have it enforcable in the contract (it wasn't enforcable on last contract). Stay tuned - the negotiations have started, but a long way to go.

Ozabyss
Bronze

Post by Ozabyss »

This is GREAT news :D :D , piss of nein all together, and give 7 Friday and Sunday, I only hope they do accept less money so there is better coverage on Friday night and two games on Sunday (Yey), which station was reporting it Sandyhill and has there been anything yet in the papers down there about it ?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

This was reported on ABC radio earlier on, and confirmed at the top of the channel 10 news bulletin in Adelaide.

If you consider game development to be mostly about expanding coverage in the northern states, then channel 9 is not part of the equation. They're not going to bump their cash cow NRL coverage out of prime time to do the AFL a favour with game development, the $$$ just doesn't work for them.

That said, the AFL has made it clear that they're willing to accept less money in exchange for more coverage in the northern states. This puts channel 7 and 10 in the lead - 10 has already committed to expanded AFL coverage in Brisbane, and Channel 7 were very good with their coverage in the north (if i remember correctly). Channel 9 would have to put in some serious money to sway the AFL, because their committment to League means they can't out bid 10/7 on coverage, but instead on raw $$$. If it turns out they're bidding by themselves, they won't have anywhere near the cash to do this.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a certain law suit channel 7 has going at the moment suddenly disappears, if they are awarded the new broadcast rights.

All these things considered, I expect that the TV rights will be won on northern states exposure, therefore the sort of bidding war we saw last time may not be repeated. I still expect the rights to be worth a little more, because ratings have improved a lot since the last deal, especially in Brisbane. But I think a minor dollar increase and expanded coverage will be the outcome.

Ozabyss
Bronze

Post by Ozabyss »

From AFL.com.au:

AFL quiet on TV developments
5:14:38 PM Wed 16 March, 2005
Angus Morgan
Sportal for afl.com.au
The AFL has acknowledged, but declined to comment, on the announcement that the Seven and Ten Networks will jointly bid for free-to-air broadcast rights to AFL matches from the end of next season.

In a prepared statement released on Wednesday afternoon, Seven said it had notified the League that it will include Ten as a party to its right to make the final bid for the new television rights agreement for the period 2007 to 2011.

Under the current agreement made in December 2000 and expiring at the end of next year, free-to-air coverage is split between the Nine and Ten Networks.

Channel Nine covers Friday night and Sunday matches, while Ten broadcasts matches played on Saturday afternoons and evenings. Foxtel holds the exclusive live pay-television rights to three matches per round and to full replays of all matches.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou responded on Wednesday afternoon.

"The AFL has been informed that Network 10 and the Seven Network have entered into an agreement to jointly bid for the AFL’s broadcast rights post 2006," Demetriou said.

"The AFL is confident of securing an outcome which benefits our 16 Clubs and the supporters of our game and will be exploring all options for our future broadcasting arrangements.

"We do not intend to make any further comment in relation to this matter."

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

From an RL perspective I'd like to see better coverage in the southern states but Nein would still be pricks. This is unlikely.

Good news for the AFL. Ch 7 are really keen on the AFL. David Leckie must really value the sport as he was at 9 when they bid and is now at 7.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

in the paper this morning (the boradcasting story took up most of the age's front page surprisingly) they were saying that channel 10 would broadcast 3 back to back games on a saturday
this would be good for me,,,,,it would mean that they would play an interstate match...possibly one involving west coast,,,which only happens on free to air if its a friday night or a melbourne game
they said that foxtel wanted 4 games, but might only get 2(probably 3)
they were wafted over the preseason gf,.....but i spose that isnt really important in the scheme of things

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

yob wrote: and Channel 7 were very good with their coverage in the north (if i remember correctly).
I do hope you were being facetious with these comments. You surely can't be serious that Channel 7 had the interests of the game at heart in NSW whilst it had the broadcast rights. In the 80s and 90s they would show replays of our matches at 12PM THE NEXT SATURDAY before the match next weekend started.

Even in the halcyon years of 1996 1997 Channel 7 Sydney were high reticent to either commit to the club not genuinely support the game. Saturday night telecasts were extremely rare, with of course Friday being non existant.

As much as the AFL may be wishing for live Friday & Saturdfay night telecasts into Sydney, the stations will just not be prepared for the incredible ratings hit they would hit if they did that. And that basically means a great deal less income from companies wanting to buy advertising space during these time slots. As much as it is all and well to say they will do it, when they are losing thousands and thousands of dollars per time slot fper weekend, they will not like it. And will opt to move AFL to the later timeslot, as they have always done.

Thankfully Queensland is far more ripe for live AFL during both time slots. I hear Channel 10 are already planning on live AFL on Saturday nights into Brisbane. This is a brave step, but one I'm very thankful the AFL and Channel 10 are doing. Channel 10 come across as being fair dinkum about their motives for supporting the code. I enjoy their refreshing attitude to commentary (Robert Walls aside.). Far better than Ian Robertson or stupid McAveney rambling on about this and that.

JF
PS:- That Caroline Wilson, what a stunner she is, hey! :wink: :twisted:

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:I enjoy their refreshing attitude to commentary (Robert Walls aside.).
i was about to cry out in outrage until i realised you were proclaiming how shocking robert walls is......i agree and have aired my views before that he is truly pathetic, and quite insulting at times

agree with all the other points as well JF
i think that channel 10 have the right idea.....and plus they dont have eddie!! :lol: :D :wink: :!:

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Not surprisingly, this dominated Melbourne TV news last night - even ch 9 led with the story (thru gritted teeth). They made it sound like ch 10 betrayed them - quite funny. Also dominated paper headlines today.

Now I WILL be watching the Footy Show tonight for Eddie (and Sam's) reaction. Should be quite interesting (for a change).

JF and co - It would be possible for the AFL to negotiate a contract that could enforce live (or near live) footy into Sydney - but it depends on how much of a financial hit the AFL is prepared to do this. The TV station bean counters will expect a (possibly hefty?) discount on the rights to have such a contract in place.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

The HUN has thrown up a figure between $650 and $750 million.

Geez Us !!!!

If this all went back to the club distribution (which it won't, but anyway) that would work out to over $3 million extra revenue, per club, per year.

But still... I would've thought mid 500 was around the mark... $750 million?!

robbieando
Bronze

Post by robbieando »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:As much as the AFL may be wishing for live Friday & Saturdfay night telecasts into Sydney, the stations will just not be prepared for the incredible ratings hit they would hit if they did that. And that basically means a great deal less income from companies wanting to buy advertising space during these time slots
While it is true that if 7 or 10 committed to Prime Time coverage of the Friday Night matches they would take a ratings hit because of it, you have to remember that the hit wouldn't be that great because Ch 9 with its FNF coverage of the NRL is already far ahead of what 7 and 10 already show. Also it has been said that Ch 7 would be willing to take that hit in Sydney just to get the rights back. Also the rights are said to have a 2 ratings point effect on channel 9's weekly rating nationwide, so even if Ch 7 lost ratings in Sydney and Brisbane on a Friday Night, they would make that up on Saturday and Sunday to make it worthwhile.

As for your point with sales of ad slots during the football coverage it doesn't make that much of a difference because the ad slots during the AFL coverage is sold on a national basis, so regardless of where the match is shown the ads are the same with only the ads for individual networks shows being different state to state.
yob wrote:But still... I would've thought mid 500 was around the mark... $750 million?!
About a year ago an article flagged the possibilty of the AFL rights going for $150 million a season so its not too surprising to read that now. I think however the AFL will get at least $120 million a season and as much as $140million. The NRL can only dream of getting anywhere near that amount.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Eddie chucked an absolute wobbly on the footy show :shock:

Ozabyss
Bronze

Post by Ozabyss »

yob wrote:Eddie chucked an absolute wobbly on the footy show :shock:
Can't wait to see it, In QLD we get the NRL show, The AFL one starts at around midnight......Just like the actual games :evil:

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

stadiumking wrote:
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:I agree with all the other points as well JF
i think that channel 10 have the right idea.....and plus they dont have eddie!! :lol: :D :wink: :!:
Eddie is actually a pretty decent commentator, when Collingwood are not playing. Gets a tad cliched at times. And raises his voice too much to try andf cultivate excitement in the broadcast. He was a bit overboard on that score on Saturday night.

But when the Pies are on the box on Nein, he is a nightmare at times. I recall a match against Port where he said in deliberately attention-seeking fashion "And its a goaaaaalll to Culllllingwooood!" as the Pies came back in the last quarter. Made you sick. He may as well have been sitting witgh Joffa and the ferals behind the goals. :roll:

JF