Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

sandyhill wrote:Any opinions on the quality of the ch7 telecasts? With Bruce back, its like going back in time - Unfortunately in more ways than one. The ch10 broadcast used to make ch9 look good - now ch7 is making ch10 look good. ....
And now the sh1t has started to hit the fan, hence providing Mr Newman with the perfect opportunity to ridicule ch7 on the Footy Show, following the HUNpoll showing 96% to 4% preferred ch9's (former) coverage to ch7 (and yes, I know these polls are hugely unreliable, but when its 96% ...)

And from todays HUN -

Seven's footy has no spark
April 13, 2007 (HUN)

IF CHANNEL 7 was an AFL team, right now it would be Melbourne. Two terrible losses from two weekends of the new season. Under-performing senior players. Off-field staff in panic. Doom here. Gloom there. Shambles best describes Seven's efforts to date in its return to football, and no amount of spin from the network can convince anyone otherwise.

The problems that have beset Seven have become problems for the AFL. Take it as fact that if a call about this matter hasn't yet been made from the game's headquarters to the game's most traditional broadcaster, then it will be very soon.

Head commentator Bruce McAvaney is still accurate, still the most-researched caller, still regularly capable of accompanying a game high-point with beautiful commentary. But . . . McAvaney seems to lack what he once exuded every time the cameras rolled for a big event -- an infectious bounce in his voice and tangible excitement in his body-language. In general, a spark. (I agree - very flat so far) Maybe his mind is carrying the very obvious problems associated with the network's match-day coverage. Maybe he peaked for the Sydney Olympics and still pines for the years he missed calling the game. Whatever, something's not quite right with one of Australian sports broadcasting's greats -- maybe greatest. But it's not too late. It's only Round 3. You would almost predict McAvaney will return to his best.

Dennis Cometti, like McAvaney, is largely the same standout caller he has been for the past 15 years. The Cometti-isms are still there, but there's little or no chemistry with McAvaney. Again, it's not too late.

For David Schwarz, though, well, what's happening there? He clearly suffers coming in to this prestigious role after Friday night footy viewers had five years of Garry Lyon and Dermott Brereton, and whether you like or dislike either of that duo, every time they spoke the viewer became more knowledgeable about the game. Schwarz talks in cliches, states the obvious, tells us nothing we don't already know. Simply, he just doesn't work as a special-comments man on prime-time TV.

Tim Watson is more difficult to assess. His views on the game remain essential listening, but because of Seven's demands that he spend half a game in the main commentary box and half on the boundary, he has been cast as an awkward-looking bit player. Then there's the boundary rider, Rick Olarenshaw. He would be a future TV talent if he devoted himself to the craft, but he can't because he manages footballers. He even interviewed one of them post-match last week, Brisbane Lion Michael Rischitelli. The boundary-riding role, though, really needs to be filled by a sports medicine expert. Seven barely acknowledged Brock McLean's ankle problem in Round 1.

OK, the solution to the Seven mess? Easy. Get Wayne Carey to break his contract with Channel 9, install him as the special-comments man, give him licence to assert his swagger over the entire coverage. If that doesn't re-excite McAvaney, nothing will. Treat Friday night footy as Nine did -- as a moving news story with many angles to cover. Get a reporter into the losing team's rooms. Ditch the long-range camera. Most importantly, give us a reason to get excited about turning on the TV every Friday night.

And do it before the AFL forces you to.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Can't argue with most of that article. Other than McAvaney and Cometti, the coverage is a joke. Tim Watson is hopeless, Rick Olarenshaw looks like a 3rd rate amateur with a rod up his arse (no idea why he got a guernsey in the first place) and the director has clearly never watched a footy telecast in his life. Terrible choices of camera angles, maybe the cameramen are crap as well so the choice isn't there to be made.

And to top it all off, they're delaying it at unprecendented levels. I'd forgive everything wrong with Seven's coverage if they were showing the footy live or near live, but Friday night is still on a 3 hour delay, and Sunday's game is now delayed by 2 hours.

Worst. Coverage. EVER.

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

How many of you like watching games you already know the result of?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Saints-Premiers wrote:How many of you like watching games you already know the result of?
I just don't watch. I'd watch 4 or 5 Friday night matches a season. If they were at 7:30 or earlier, i'd watch about 20.

Doesn't help that they're usually terrible matchups between 2 shithouse Victorian clubs.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

fine let chanel 7 root AFL coverage ...but not V8's

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

the crow wrote:fine let chanel 7 root AFL coverage ...but not V8's
errr... the very same people broadcast v8 supercars as last season - "V8 Supercars tv" do every aspect of the production and channel seven just have the rights to broadcast it - EXACTLY as channel ten did.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Ch7 in damage control -
Change in the air for Seven
15 April 2007 Sunday Herald Sun

CHANNEL 7 concedes there may be flaws in its football broadcasting format and says its boundary-line special comments segment faces the chop. But Seven's Melbourne boss, Ian Johnson, said yesterday fans needed to give the coverage a chance.

"When we started doing the Nine broadcasts, in the first few weeks we had the Eddie and Collingwood presidency issue. Was Dermott Brereton talking too much? Did the reverse angles work? Did we shoot the game too tight? The criticism went on for months and months," Johnson said. "But, so far, I think we are doing a pretty good job." (of course he would say that)

He is not a "huge fan" of the special comments part of the coverage, which rotates between Tim Watson and David Schwarz, and said it would be reassessed in a few weeks. "They (the production team) thought they could get more information to the viewer, and I am not sure whether it's working," he said.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Okay. I'm going to make the call. And trust me when I say i'll have a 2 hour shower after making it.

Nine's coverage was fantastic. Not only relative to channel 7's weak effort. It had an energy of its own, an event atmosphere.

:?

Channel 7 is going to lose millions on AFL :lol:

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

The only good to come from it all is that I can now listen to better calling teams on radio, and BT on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Cometti is not and never really was all he's cracked up to be, in my opinion. Bruce hasn't made an inspiring start either.
And as much as I love the Ox, he doesn't have it for TV. Stick to radio, Neita.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Question: for what reason would Channel 7 use a simple squad list for its FNF telecast but a squad graphic on the Sunday game? I can't get my head around that one although I wonder if there's something that I'm missing.

Ricardo
Silver

Post by Ricardo »

Latest figure for the top 50 shows on fox last week.

Total Individuals
Week 17, 2007 (22/4/07-28/4/07)
Round to nearest Thousand
5 City Metro

Rnk Description (grouped) Channel Audience
1 LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V RABBITOHS FOX Sports 3 184,000
2 LIVE: AFL CARLTON V BRISBANE FOX Sports 1 172,000
3 LIVE: AFL RICHMOND V WEST COAST FOX Sports 1 160,000
4 LIVE & ACTIVE: AFL WEST COAST V CARLTON FOX Sports 1 157,000
5 LIVE & ACTIVE: NRL PANTHERS V RAIDERS FOX Sports 3 152,000
6 LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V SEA EAGLES FOX Sports 3 144,000
7 LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V DRAGONS FOX Sports 3 137,000
8 LIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V GEELONG FOX Sports 1 128,000
9 LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V TITANS FOX Sports 3 125,000
10 LIVE: FOOTBALL: EPL EVERTON V MAN UTD FOX Sports 2 121,000
11 LIVE: AFL PRE GAME SHOW FOX Sports 1 80,000
12 LIVE: AFL POST GAME SHOW FOX Sports 1 73,000
13 LIVE: NRL SATURDAY PRE GAME SHOW FOX Sports 3 68,000
14 LIVE: NRL MONDAY POST GAME SHOW FOX Sports 3 68,000
15 LIVE: CRICKET: ICC WORLD CUP FOX Sports 3 67,000
16 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 BRUMB V CRUS FOX Sports 2 61,000
17 AUSTRALIA'S NEXT TOP MODEL FOX8 59,000
18 RUGBY LEAGUE: TO BE ADVISED FOX Sports 3 57,000
19 LIVE & ACTIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 FOX Sports 2 57,000
20 NEW TRICKS UKTV 56,000
21 SOLITARY FOX8 53,000
22 LIVE: AFL: ON THE COUCH FOX Sports 1 53,000
23 BORDER SECURITY: AUSTRALIA'S FRONT LINE Lifestyle 52,000
24 LIVE: FOOTBALL: EPL WIGAN V WEST HAM FOX Sports 2 51,000
25 BATTLE OF BRITAIN FOX Classics 49,000
26 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 HURR V HIGH FOX Sports 2 49,000
27 NRL TEAMS FOX Sports 3 48,000
28 AFL CLASSIC SATURDAY FOX Sports 1 48,000
29 SKY HIGH Disney Channel 47,000
30 MIDSOMER MURDERS UKTV 47,000
31 FAMILY GUY FOX8 45,000
32 LIVE: MOTORSPORT: MOTOGP TURKEY FOX Sports 2 45,000
33 CRICKET: ICC WORLD CUP FOX Sports 3 44,000
34 LIVE: FOOTBALL: ASIAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOX Sports 2 43,000
35 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 FORCE V CHEE FOX Sports 2 42,000
36 LETHAL WEAPON 3 TV1 42,000
37 FOOTBALL: EPL HIGHLIGHTS FOX Sports 1 42,000
38 AMERICAN DAD! FOX8 41,000
39 EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION W 40,000
40 JOHN EDWARD CROSS COUNTRY W 40,000
41 THE SIMPSONS FOX8 40,000
42 BOXING: DE LA HOYA/MAYWEATHER 24/7 FOX Sports 1 40,000
43 INSPECTOR LYNLEY UKTV 40,000
44 LAW & ORDER: SVU TV1 40,000
45 BARGAIN HUNT Lifestyle 39,000
46 ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE UKTV 39,000
47 YOU WISH! Disney Channel 38,000
48 LIVE: NRL MONDAY PRE GAME SHOW FOX Sports 3 38,000
49 LIVE: NRL SUNDAY PRE GAME SHOW FOX Sports 3 37,000
50 THE SUITE LIFE OF ZACK & CODY Disney Channel 36,000

The AFL figures are promising, probably not exceptional for the price fox paid for them but they are decent figures nonetheless.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Actually, I would have thought the AFL figures are excellent given:

- AFL matches go for 3 hours, so the average is over a longer period of time than, say an NRL or Super 14 match;
- most AFL matches on Fox are screened up against another (generally better) AFL match on FTA;
- the pay TV penetration into WA and SA is poor.

For the AFL to have 3 of the top 4 rating shows on pay TV for the week given the above, i'd imagine the AFL and Fox to be pretty happy.

If you want disappointing ratings, look no further than:

Is it always that bad?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Imagine the Force if they got coverage on Channel 7 in Perth and people could watch them, not just those with pay tv.

Rugby supporters generally go to pubs to watch the games in Perth, these numbers don't reflect pub numbers either.

Ricardo
Silver

Post by Ricardo »

Rob wrote: If you want disappointing ratings, look no further than:

Is it always that bad?
Here are some other games involving Aus teams:
Week 16:
14 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 W'TAHS V H'LAND FOX Sports 2 69,000
17 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 CRUS V HURR FOX Sports 3 59,000
19 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 REDS V CHEETAHS FOX Sports 2 58,000

Week 13:
11 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 FORCE V SHARKS FOX Sports 3 60,890
12 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 WARATAHS V CRUS FOX Sports 2 60,651

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

Would be interesting to find out whether subscription numbers in the AFL states has increased of late. By the looks of the figures it surely has.

It seems as though 300 000 type figures for NRL are rarer so far this year or maybe there just hasnt been enough blockbusters as yet on Pay TV.