Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Joint Channel 7 & 10 bid for AFL rights.

Post by Jeffles »

The talk seems positive and I think I might have to revise my prediction upwards compared to what I said above.

While we're on the subject, Caroline Wilson's analysis of TV ratings in her last two appearances on Offsiders has been absolute garbage. She emphasises how much Seven needs AFL because when Seven didn't hold the AFL (2002-2006) nobody was watching Seven News and other shows. Her thesis is that the impression from viewers was that the official rights holders would have a better story on AFL so people would switch away from Seven News.

In the real world, Seven was on an upward trajectory in the early 2000s on the back of Sunrise, Today Tonight and some generational change at Nine. Seven News increased their share during a time when they didn't have the AFL and Seven News overtook Nine News in 2005, smack in the middle of a time when Nine and Ten had the AFL rights. When looking beyond news and more broadly, the only thing that saved Nine in 2006 was the Commonwealth Games, which allowed them to win the year. Take that out and Seven would have topped them. Caro is overstating or misleading the impact that AFL coverage, or a lack thereof had on Channel Seven.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6044200561
SEVEN is expected to emerge with the free-to-air AFL broadcast rights after upping its offer before the Easter holiday in a move that will give the code a combined deal of more than $1 billion.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

This article also appeared today

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6044202555

Doesn't tell us much we don't know, but the writer ultimately misses the point. I.e. something is worth what they buyer is prepared to pay the seller. Its worth is not the value placed on it by a third party.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Other than the fact it's Channel 7, it actually seems like a pretty good deal. FTA coverage doesn't change much, but importantly all games will actually be available live around the country.

I've never had a problem with 7 delaying the footy, but what has sh*t me is that I haven't been able to legally watch the game live somewhere else.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Live channel 7 coverage gives the fans what they want - the ability to mute the television and listen to Triple M.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

What's wrong with Channel 7?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

I think Yob is making a funny. Because everyone wants to Listen to 5AA and 6PR surely.
Actually I would just about always take the NIRS boys, (which I don't think you guys down south get), nothing like them yelling at the footy to improve the excitement level.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

beastjim wrote:I think Yob is making a funny. Because everyone wants to Listen to 5AA and 6PR surely.
Actually I would just about always take the NIRS boys, (which I don't think you guys down south get), nothing like them yelling at the footy to improve the excitement level.
Rob mentioned it as well. Do AFL fans not like them? I don't have an issue with any of the AFL broadcasts I've seen. Maybe that's because I'm not a hardcore fan. Just wondering what the problem was.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Channel 7's coverage is boring as bat sh*t. It's just so soft and lifestyle programmish.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Mmm I missed Rob's comment, personally I don't mind them either, but Seven is probably the worst of the three, which is weird because they have three of the best commentators in their box (Dennis, Bruce and Leigh).

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Jeffles wrote:What's wrong with Channel 7?
Main reasons why 7 suck:

1. They just love delaying the footy.
2. Pathetic use of cameras - using obscure angles in an attempt to be clever, but end up making it worse.
3. They don't broadcast in HD, meaning their use of wide angle shots are shithouse - just makes it a bunch of pixels.

And that's in addition to other, more minor things. Like the megawall, the fact they put in more ads between goals, and their complete lack of other footy programming.

DAWSONMOX
Bronze

Post by DAWSONMOX »

Beast, you can't be serious about Bruce!

Rob, you forgot to mention the fact that 7 simply can't kep up with the football, today's game just drove me insane!

Yob you are so right about Triple M. That why I wanted Channel 9 to join forces with them and do simulcasts, with 9's cameras and MMM's voices.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1dt11.html

I don't understand the 1.25 billion figure - unless there's a 0 missing in there.

St James
Bronze

Post by St James »

Rob wrote: Main reasons why 7 suck:

1. They just love delaying the footy.
2. Pathetic use of cameras - using obscure angles in an attempt to be clever, but end up making it worse.
3. They don't broadcast in HD, meaning their use of wide angle shots are shithouse - just makes it a bunch of pixels.
Sounds just like 9's League coverage.

St James.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

yob wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 1dt11.html

I don't understand the 1.25 billion figure - unless there's a 0 missing in there.
Caro. Nuff said.