NBL Championship Series

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Jeffles
Platinum

NBL Championship Series

Post by Jeffles »

I avoided speaking about the matter for the whole year because it seems that the curse would always rear its ugly head. But now it has arrived. THE KINGS ARE IN THE GRAND FINAL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've been a fan for a long time. I remember when Steve Carfino was a player (No. 11, Mr Magic) not a commentator. Bob Turner was coach, not former chairman. And I remember when they played at the State Sports Centre, current home of the Pigs.

I've been waiting a long time. To tell you the truth I don't care what happens from here. At least ONE monkey is off the Kings back. If they were lucky enough to win and get both monkeys off, I'd be even happier.

Good luck Sydney. All the best. We've been waiting a long time.

argee
Bronze

Post by argee »

Yes. Good Luck to the Kings. Eventhough they beat my beloved Crocs. While the kings desserve to do well, I do take offence at the Sydney and Melbourne media's treatment of the team from Townsville. The Crocs have probably been the most consistent team in recent years. They have made at least the preliminary finals in three out of the past four seasons and went close to winning in 2001 when beaten by single digits in the third game against Wollongong. They have produced a League MVP (Robert Rose). They also set a win streak record of 16 games this year to pull themselves from last to third. And they regularly sell out their home games. Meanwhile, TV reporters in the southern states seemed to say the words Townsville and Crocs with a snigger when mentioned in the same sentence as the words Sydney & Kings. With attitudes like that, no wonder Queensland teams take the most pride in actually beating you people in the southern states.
But, anyway, Go Kings!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well unfortunately the Wildcats lost after leading by 11 points with 6 mins left and unfortunately lost by 4 points. But we will be back, the game at challenge stadium shall be a beauty 5000 Challenge Stadium fans rocking the house down, hopefully we can win and finally beat sydney at the entertainment centre the following saturday. Well done to the Kings and hopefully this time we can beat the kings, and may give Ricky an unprecedant 5 championship rings. Go WILDCATS, remember rest of australia we have AMAZING GRACE

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

What a great game. Kings coming back from 14 points down in the last quarter. And the highest crowd of the season - 10,500. It's a pitty the Perth leg will be played at Challenge Stadium, only 4,500 fans. Would of it been possible to play the match at the Perth Entertainment Centre or otherwise they should of played it at the Burswood Dome. Go Kings! They really deserve a premiership.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

They actually got 5000 to the Danny Green fight earlier this month. The Burswood Dome 'is unsuitbale for basketball' and the PEC no way in a million years its not utilised at all no concerts, or anything is held there its just waiting to be demolished. If we win this championship we will be the most successful side in National Basketball History. 5 Perth to 4 Adelaide from there 7th championship series in 16 seasons a formidible team considering the travel barrier that the Wildcats have had to go through this year. They travel more kms then any other Perth based team in Australia.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Argee I think the Crocs get a good run in the Sydney press. Initially they got a bit of a beating because they were a 'fluke' side in the final. But over the ast couple of years they are definitely being respected here. I certainly give them a lot of wraps.

My Kings won game 1. Good on them. A top game. Now you know why they are called the Cardiac Kids (or Cardiac Kings). Good luck lads in Perth tomorrow. The Skybar is behind you (Skybar is a pub in Redfern that has been converted into Kings HQ).

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Well a great win by the Kings to give them their first championship ever. They very much deserved it. It was unfortunate the final game wasn’t played in Sydney, It would of looked much better for the game (10,500 fans, rather than 4,700 as there were in Perth).

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

HOORAY!!!!

Just got home from the Skybar. Great atmosphere. Couldn't be there for the game but it was Jammin still tonight. Go Kings. We won't forget this one for a while.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well done Kings, just annoying that the Wildcats played so poorly over the championship series not taking anything away from the brilliant performance of the Kings. The Wildcats just didnt show there true colours. Just as a trivial matter who got the player of the Grand Final series. To confirm Perth jitters, the Perth Thundersticks got beaten in the final between them and Queensalnd Blades (LUCKY it wasnt a new south wales team) 4-3 at Perth Hockey Stadium (it seems that so many finals in Perth have been played in the last few years in all sports) . New South Wales beat western Australia in two finals this year and hopefullly we can beat you in the one that matters. The NSL grand final in front of 43,000 screaming fanz ( including me )
Congratulations Kings but remember youve got a while to get the record of the almighty Perth Wildcats 4 championships, 7 grand final series and amazing grace - three almighty characteristics of this almighty team

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The headline of Monday's Sydney Morning Herald sport section said it all "The Violet Crumbles are Dead: LONG LIVE THE KINGS!"

The sub heading was funny too. "It's no joke. After 15 years the Sydney Kings have broken through to win the NBL CHampionship"

Now that the monkey is off our back, this could be the beginning of a new era for the Kings. Watch out Australia. :D