The Western Sydney Football Club

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
nobleoz
Gold

Re: The Western Sydney Football Club

Post by nobleoz »

I laughed at the ref to the academic who suggested that AFL players would be wearing pads & helmets in 10 years. I read that article in the NRL owning News Ltd paper. An unknown Adelaide "academic" who has little to do with football is hardly to be taken seriously :roll:

More serious for consideration is the so-called Champions League, involving the Giants. Sounds good - but not sure if a 2nd NSW club would be up to standard.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

EDIT:
I thought the so-called British streak referred to (old money) was the Snowtown murders!
Last edited by nobleoz on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

nobleoz wrote:I laughed at the ref to the academic who suggested that AFL players would be wearing pads & helmets in 10 years. I read that article in the NRL owning News Ltd paper. An unknown Adelaide "academic" who has little to do with football is hardly to be taken seriously :roll:

More serious for consideration is the so-called Champions League, involving the Giants. Sounds good - but not sure if a 2nd NSW club would be up to standard.
I don't know what article you're referring to - because you never link to them. But this reminds me of this Adelaide Uni law professor who for all intents looks like he's homeless, and it's only when you get to know the guy you find out he coaches a footy team in one of the hills leagues. They take all types!

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Ruckman already wear shin pads... I suppose some might consider that a start. But whatever.

Ohh I did see that the new comp would be knock out, so Jeffles was right.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

nobleoz wrote:I laughed at the ref to the academic who suggested that AFL players would be wearing pads & helmets in 10 years. I read that article in the NRL owning News Ltd paper. An unknown Adelaide "academic" who has little to do with football is hardly to be taken seriously :roll:
Are you seriously suggesting that News Ltd give a free kick to the NRL by employig an editorial policy against its competitors?

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

No, Jeffles - it was a response to an earlier comment that News Ltd papers always favour the AFL.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

News LTD favours whatever the readers want. That's why they're the number 1 selling papers in every market.

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

I find it funny how rival sets of fans both think there is a News Agenda going on against their game. If you read LU, they'll say there's a News Ltd conspiracy to bring down the NRL so that TV rights are cheaper for Foxtel. If you read BF, they'll say there's a conspiracy from the NRL-backed News to stop the great Australian game getting the exposure it deserves. The internet is an interesting place.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

broncos wrote:I find it funny how rival sets of fans both think there is a News Agenda going on against their game. If you read LU, they'll say there's a News Ltd conspiracy to bring down the NRL so that TV rights are cheaper for Foxtel. If you read BF, they'll say there's a conspiracy from the NRL-backed News to stop the great Australian game getting the exposure it deserves. The internet is an interesting place.
Exactly. They'll print whatever sells. The Advertiser tried selling papers talking up sokkah violence at United games. They sold more papers backing 'Our Reds.' So they changed their line. Their agenda either way was to sell papers. Have a laugh and play on.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Yob not the number one selling paper in WA, the Saturday West gets more than the Sunday Times...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

In every Australian market then.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

yob wrote:In every Australian market then.
:lol: :lol:

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

Ben Buckley to move to GWS Giants as AFL CEO in charge of fight against soccer :lol:

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

nobleoz wrote:Ben Buckley to move to GWS Giants as AFL CEO in charge of fight against soccer :lol:
You can have him, he's been a disaster for football in Australia, everything he has touched has turned to sh*t. His contract at FFA is up for renewal/review this month and there is a growing voice amongst football fans for him to move along. Things really started to plateau when he took over from john O'Niell. I can't think of one single thing he has done to add-value to the sport. He will always be in my eye, Andy Dimwitiou's chief Stooge/Horse of a Trojan variety.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Did Buckley introduce the disastrous Match Review Panel to the A-League?