Rugby internationals 2004

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ok MES although I havent been there yet and have no idea how big rugby needs to be, is built for rectangular sports, so of course it can hold rugby union events.

Hmm Perth is neck and neck with Melbourne, even the austadiums poll is tighting up.

In regards to Subiaco Oval, the best Waltzing Matilda rendition was during a Wallabies v Sth Africa match at Subiaco Oval sell out.

The atmosphere was subdued because it was not a classified Test match. So it lost its prestige and honour.

Tri nations will be completely different

Just think of Perth Rugby Union World Cup.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:The atmosphere was subdued because it was not a classified Test match. So it lost its prestige and honour.
eh? :?

You've lost me! Do you mean the NZ Maori or the South African game?
Last edited by james_ on Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

james wrote:The pic (borrowed from austadiums.com) shows that ME Stadium pitch is 132m long. So that leaves room for 16m deep in-goal areas. IRB laws require that in-goals don't exceed 22m, so ME Stadium is suitable for rugby.
It doesn't leave room for a 16m ingoal. That would mean chalk lines right on the boundary. But our point that MES could accomodate Rugby League and Union stands.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I read in The Australian newspaper today...

"The ARU has denied a report in The Australian that it has been forced to play the World Cup final re-match between the Wallabies and England in Brisbane in June because of the unavailability of Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

"An ARU spokesman said Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne were considered, but Suncorp Stadium was always the preferred option."

Go Brisbane! :D

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

james_ wrote:I read in The Australian newspaper today...

"The ARU has denied a report in The Australian that it has been forced to play the World Cup final re-match between the Wallabies and England in Brisbane in June because of the unavailability of Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

"An ARU spokesman said Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne were considered, but Suncorp Stadium was always the preferred option."

Go Brisbane! :D
According to ABC radio, the ARU wanted it at Telstra Stadium, but the Swans vs. Magpies special match was already booked on that date.

ARU with a little bit of spin I suspect.

Do you honestly believe they would give up an 83,500 house for a 52,000 one?

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Dale wrote:According to ABC radio, the ARU wanted it at Telstra Stadium, but the Swans vs. Magpies special match was already booked on that date.

ARU with a little bit of spin I suspect.

Do you honestly believe they would give up an 83,500 house for a 52,000 one?
With $45m in the bank its not like they need the money that the extra gate receipts would generate! :wink:

Besides, Sydney are already playing host to the All Blacks Test.

I agree, however, with you suspicion of spin!