VB Series 2003/04

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

We just played a bad game!

Even the world champions play an off game, the more we analyse individual performances the worse off we are. We should just congratulate India, I mean it wasnt even an integral match to win, I mean Zimbabwe have no chance of getting to the Finals.

Just wait to the Finals then the real Australia will be put on show.

Very good match to watch though, and fantastic crowd.

Yob, great ground, hope the atmosphere improves during the One Day Series. That should be an Awesome match. Although i do think that Brisbane will host the third final considering we have Brett lee and they have the batting.

Australia to win 2-1

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

It would great if this series was perhaps a best of 5 (or maybe 7) match series between Australia and India (no disrespect to Zimbabwe but what's the point? It's sad really) instead of a 3 team group with only 3 match finals series. This summer's had some great matches between the two...be better if ALL of these one dayers(other than the finals) between Aus and India counted for something rather than simply being a sort of 'tugg-of-war' before the main series in the finals.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

With the bevan thing, he kept on blocking it and playing defence shots when we had to get 30 of 17 balls, in that situation, you should just smash it no matter where the feilders are or what the bowler bowls, it looked to me like bevan just didnt want to go out, to play for australia you should wanna put your balls to the wall to win a match.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan

Listen to yob. While yes this was only one game, it does bring up greater issues of depth and strategy. Sure we may bounce back etc. But don't think the World Cup will be any easier this time round.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

Pity only 35,052 turned up to what was supposedly a sell out. I can only speculate that this has something to do with the Lions' members.
yeah... i thought the crowd was a little on the low side... but then again... the ground record for a ODI is 35761 (Aust Vs SA 20.1.02)...

i remember when i was a lions member they used to charge general admission to get into the air conditioned comfort of the social club... they'd give you a little snazzy 'admit one' amusement ride style ticket and I don't think there was really any official head counts... that's the only part of the ground you could get into as a lions member.... it was a bit different for tests...

from where i was sitting there was a distinct gap in the second tier of the southern stand - in front of the legends room... a coupla hundred empty seats... maybe that was it... corporate brisbane too busy enjoying the big day out...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles I believe the strength of Australian cricket is still very strong, am not prepared to look at arguments saying "Look at the youngster coming up... this could be the end of success". The fact is Australia has brought cricket to a new standard. India even admitting "We have tried to play like Australia". This was one match, we took an even worse squad to India and we still won the final in front of 100,000 people. India beat us in the first match and there was continued doomsay.

I think analysing the adhoc bad game, is nothing that should be seen to deeply. Australian Cricket is still as strong as ever.

World Cup and easier? No I said we would still win the finals of this series, i thought that was obvious saying we would win 2-1. The rise of New Zealand and India at the last World Cup was obvious, expect England, Pakistan to do well and Sth Africa not to get knocked out, we cant rule out the hosts West Indies either.

I think the next Cricket World Cup will be a mouth watering month of great cricket. Quality sides and yes i think it will be a very hard struggle this time to win the World Cup. But I do think we where at our very peak in Sth Africa. With the great innings against India being of great standard.

What a match.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Yesterday's match was a cracker! Brett Lee villain to hero. It also highlighted some inadequacies in the middle order but I don't wanna argue again.