Athens Olympic Stadium

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
2004:The year of Greece
Bronze

Post by 2004:The year of Greece »

Another Greek in your Forum!! :D 8) :!: :twisted:

First of all let's calm down..Dear Aystralians,the reason for which many Greeks have been registered in your forum is that you made some really unfair comments about our country and our nation..Someone wrote that we are athirld-world country!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

Is it possible for <<a third-world contry>>to organise OLYMPIC GAMES??Of course not...We are in the 23rd place of the most rich countries in the wolrd,despite the problems we have faced so many years..We are member of the European Union and our economy the last 10 years is growing at least 4% per year!! :P ...Also our coin is Euro ,which is one of the stronger ones in the world...In addition,the infrustructure program is HUGE!!!The public works are uncountable and every day a new infrustructure is inauguraeted...

In addition,the biggest and most dangerous terrorist group was arrested two years ago.

So,we respect our country and your strong economy but DONT underestimate our country...Our venues are fantastic and you will understand that if you visit Athens...We cant stand and uneerstand the well-intensioned Criticism but we cant stay pathetic when you make such offensive comments...

We demand respect as you do..

And dont forget...

<<Heroes are fighting as Greeks and Greeks as Heroes>>

Winston Churchill

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

jimbo43 wrote:>Dont come onto our site,trash it,and then have the fricken nerve to call

First of all, it'd be nice if you knew how to spell in your native tongue...
"fricken"????

Fricken isnt even a word,its not meant to be.Its a euphemism.So however its spelt bears no meaning.

Anyway,Im glad to see some common sense entering the fray.

As for Athens' venues,Ill look closer and give my opinion on them all as the games get closer.

Some venues(at a quick glance) are very similar to Sydney though.
-Velodrome
-Tennis Centre
-Whitewater kayak course

marin
Bronze

Post by marin »

Well I am a born and bred Greek, however I am not interested in any name calling, or offensive posting in this forum.
As someone who has travelled to Australia twice and once spent a month in the country I have nothing but the best memories, and evryone was courteous and nice to me. So much for personal experience.
On the subject of the Athens stadium, I trully believe it is looking absolutely wondeful, and now that everyhting is in place, everyone can see Caltrava's dream. It is a very unified complex that its main inspiration are three colours, white, blue and ochre. This is in keeping with our mediterrenean environment, and with our classical and byzantine heritage.
To answer some of the comments made, I think the whole concept was white and simplicity and light reflection. I am sure that once the Opening Ceremony is under way everyone will be in awe.
As far as temporary seating is concerned, the main stadium will remain as is with 75,000 seats and used as football ground/athletics track for future purposes.
Temporary seating has been placed in the softball, baseball, beach volleyball, hockey, equestrianism venues. In general it tends to double the capacity of the venues, for example in the baseball venue from 4000 to 8000 seats. I think that this is prudent because I do not think that a sport such as baseball can attract huge numbers in Athens.
For me the best venues of these Olympics are
1.OAKA main complex
2.Kallimarmaro (1896 stadium)
3. Equestrian centre (absolutely mind boggling)
4. The general area of Faliro (beach Volleyball and sailing)
5. Kanoe/Cayak slalom venue
6. Also for you Australians, the open air pool won't be a problem (I am looking forward to the Thorpe-Phelps clash). Hope to see Thorpe triumph with backshots of the spacecraft-like velodrome on TV.

Also look out for the road cycling on the first day, (takes in the historical centre of Athens) and of course shot put in Olympia and Marathon run.

Your triathletes will enjoy the Vouliagmeni course. It is very beautiful.

I hope and pray that the gods will smile on us, and the rowing venue will remain windless. It is a very good venue technically, but I have to admit that the location is problematic. Everyone in Athens knows that the particular area can get windy in August. However the choices for building such a venue were fairly limitted.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

In defence of my "third world" comments,I only made them AFTER this forum suddenly became bombarded with your fellow Greeks making racial and inflamatory comments directed towards Australians.
Dont expect friendly replies when you use words such as morons or slander our country or our nation's history or culture.

Anyway,Im willing to apologise for my 3rd World comments.

marin
Bronze

Post by marin »

I am also glad that sense prevailed! Personally I only want to defend what we have achieved and possibly correct some misconceptions. It is only natural.
As far as your comments Dan, the tennis centre is nothing new or ground breaking, and the reason why it looks like Sydney's is because it was disigned by the same man.

I will disagree though with your view on the Velodrome, I think it looks unique. As I said we will all have a better chance to see it as a backdrop of the pool.

Also the slalom/cayak venue is unique in that it uses salt water and it is much bigger than that of Sydney.

The biggest plus of the Athens games for the spectators is that the main complex houses many sports, namely, Track and Field, Tennis, Cycling, Basketball, Gymnastics, Aquatics all under one complex. That I think is a bonus.

Regarding the seating of the main stadium, it looks like they have left some out for the Opening Ceremony although I do not know whether this is for the entrance of the Athletes or because the space is needed for the actual ceremony. One thing is for sure, no more inside pictures from now til August 13...journalistic embargo as I hear. After the ceremony they have a week to lay down the grass, and change it from a stage to the track and field venue. Did the same happen in Sydney?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

To all the new found greeks, welcome to the forum w Its great to see so many greeks coming up to the olympics. Tell me sailing sold out? how could this be. I read this ages ago, never thought it was big in greece.

Although Mike D, your comments are a little over the top
What makes ME laugh, Egan, is your inferiority complex.
In general, your attitude has made Aussies a real joke before the eyes of the world! Come see what's being said about you in Europe, and you will feel really embarrassed (which is quite normal for you, I suppose).
I can take criticism, even cruel or unfair one, but not from the Australians, for Christ's sake! So, get a life and try to forget your poor knowledge about Athens. You must be good in something else, so try it and leave Athens alone if you' re not able to see some obvious things, about the major differences between the 2 Olympiads. Every problem has a reason, so learn first, before you judge. Otherwise, shut the hell up!
And please, don't miss the opening ceremony. Just make a comparison with the outrageous Hollywood kitsch you presented 4 years ago, and see what's the difference between a country with history and a country with cangaroos...
Mate have you ever heard of democratic right to free speech? We before you submitted these posts had not had a Greek on the forum so we where purely getting our information from the media and their views on the Athens Olympics.

With stadiums looking like deserts, the strikes galore and the lack of ticket sales I thought this could be a shambles. But in reality this was my view and is not the whole of a nation. The problem is you come on one forum and think that all of Australia is having a go at the Greeks where simply looking at what they are doing and we welcome those who actually are in Greece and Athens to give us a more accurate picture. I personally was not having a go at greeks in general more the way they have handled the olympics.

It is perfectly fair to ask why they have made such obvious errors of judgement?
It is true they cancelled the roof or planned construction due to delays - this should never happen in an olympic games whether its good or bad any proposed developments should not be taken back
They are expected to have delays? Due to the fact barely any of the stadiums have had test events, I know the Hockey Stadium and the canoe course have had test events.

Mate I perfectly hope it is better then Sydney and Im expecting all of Australia too, we do not have the bad picture of greece as your making it out to be, where just stating our concerns.

I am a passionate Australia who loves the Olympics but also respects the views of other nationalities, it would be good to see that you respect my right to have a view that has been given to us by the media whether wrongly or badly. It is then your role to educate us on what is really happening in the Greek Capital as the local.

Guys lets relax this is a forum that has passionate debates then everyones friends, we normally don't get that personal so if we can refrain from personal insults to others on the forum that would be great. Just passionately pursue your point and then respond to the other allegations.

Guys once again welcome to the forum, everyones welcome to the forum. London Greek you are perfectly allowed to post and thanks for coming.

No hard feelings guys, great to see a lively debate once again surface on austadiums. :wink:

marin
Bronze

Post by marin »

OK then! In the interest of lively debate, I will try and answer any questions you might have!
In fact I think it is quite nice to talk to people who were the previous hosts and share views.

As far as test evets go the venues that have been tested are as follows: Agios Kosmas Sailing with international regattas in 2002 and 2003.
Goudi Pentathlon this past December
Parnitha Mountain Bike
Road Cycling Aug 2003
Canoe/Kayak Apr 2004
SEF Voleyball centre Apr 2004
Equestrian Centre March 2004
Small swimming international meeting in the big pool
Diving in the indoor poll both April 2004
Track and Field June 2004
Schinias Rowing Aug 2003 (I think this is the only problem in these Olympics)
Table Tennis and Badminton venues
Greco Roman
Wheightlifting all March 2004
I am forgetting some but all in all there aren't many venues that have not been tested.
Olympic Transport was tested this week, with simulation of the opening ceremony talink 3000 people from Olympic Village to OAKA
and back.

As far as sailing is concerned yes it is very very popular in Greece. We have genuine contenders in women's 470 with 3 times world champions Tsoulfa/Bekatorou although one of them sustained an injury about 2 months ago. We also have Kaklamanakis (Gold Atlanta) in Mistral and some others that could possibly be medal contenders.
As a point of interest the Brits have decamped for the past 7 months in the Agios Kosmas venue and practically live in it racing every day. I think they are the team to beat...

CRETE_Rulez
Bronze

Post by CRETE_Rulez »

Dan wrote: Dont expect friendly replies when you use words such as morons or slander our country or our nation's history(!!!!!!!) or culture.

Anyway,Im willing to apologise for my 3rd World comments.
excuse me,but what is the history of australia????100-400 years???or do you mean the dinosaurs that used to live on the island??

Now as far as our olympic games it is our honour that an event that happened in B.C.(it is Before Christ[i don't know if you in Australia have ever heard of that]) is still going on and WILL be going on for years.That's a lot of years huh????When we were building the parthenon and building cities you were trying to figure out what fire is and put fire on your asses.So you should wash your mouth first and then talk about history.

I know that now you're very angry and you don't take pride in your ancestors,but it's OK.Greeks are different man.....If all were Greeks we would not stand out right???

When you see the Opening Ceremony,you'll wish you had never been bored,cause you will feel such an idiot that you told all those shits of the male cow(bullshits)!!!!

Cya and have a nice day....

http://www.athens2004.com/Images/Multim ... aka1_p.jpg

marin
Bronze

Post by marin »

Crete, just calm down and do not provide further incendiary comments!
As the people in the previous posts have mentioned they were only reiterating what they have been reading in their press.
It is up to us to correct the misconceptions, and provide the platform for thoughtfull debate.
There were legitimate critisisms against Athens and that was what was mainly aired.
Accept the apologies for the 3rd world comments and so forth and move on to an educated and intelligent discussion.
Personally I loathe "hotheads" and people who think insulting constitutes debate.

To all of the Australians, I am trully sorry for the unacceptable comments from Crete Rules.
If it is any consolation we are not all like this and as I said I welcome any questions and will try to feed you with as much information as possible.

O 2004 gamias sas

Post by O 2004 gamias sas »

FOR EVER ATHENS 2004 :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

OYSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :evil: :!:

LondonGreek
Bronze

Post by LondonGreek »

Come on Crete_Rulez, why did you have to make these comments now? :twisted: We had started to establish a very nice conversation with our friends from Australia and it's a pity to tarnish it again with these unecessary remarks! You saw that Dan apologised for his third world remarks and Egan was so polite before. I think some of us ought to apologise as well :evil:

Back to the subject, I feel very embarassed that we managed to delay the construction of our venues for so long. Yes, we finally finished them on time but I am just thinking how many more things we would have accomplished if we were serious. At least the final result looks very good and hopefully the organisation will live up to expectations.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Ignoring the previous idiotic post from CRETE_Rulez…

Marin, its interesting to note that the grass will be laid the week after the opening ceremony. Did they do that in Sydney any Sydney-siders know? I thought one of the commentators said it was a ground cover but then again it seemed firm and flat, like a real natural surface. Speaking of the surface, I remember seeing in pictures earlier in construction that there was a huge hole in the middle of the ground, apparently “something to do with the opening [or closing] ceremonies” I reckon it’s the drain to empty all that water out when they fill the surface with water ;) As I was saying before apparently Greek officials were “furious” after plans for the opening ceremony were released by British tabloids. They are saying the whole surface will be flooded with a "fire comet" landing and igniting huge olympic rings. Sounds a bit far-fetched to me but it there any truth in that? anyone heard? British tabloids do tend to make a lot up.

How many football stadiums will be used? Where abouts? I know for Sydney stadiums around Sydney were used (in Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra etc) unfortunately we in Perth missed out :( oh well.

This is so kool, almost like on ground correspondents in the Olympic city giving us actual facts! :) cheers guys

mike

marin
Bronze

Post by marin »

Perthsmike, I am glad you can ignore Crete Rulez!
Now for some real information. The actual lawn surface has grown not on location but elsewhere and it will be rolled out like a carpet more or less. That is what they did fro the Greek athletics Trials.
As far as the big hole in the middle there is feverish debate on the Greek forums as to its purpose. Although most people think that it will have something to do with the water, others disagree and point out that it has an elevating mechanism in the middle. Something will come out of it or something will be moved via it. We simply don't know.

There will be 4 football stadiums used for the preliminaries of the football competition. These are located in Thessaloniki (North Greece), Herakleio (Crete) Volos (Midlands) and Patra (West Greece).
They will also use the newly build home of Olympiakos on the coast of Athens (Pireus more like it) for semifinals. I will post the pictures shortly.

It seems that the report in the Mirror might have gotten part of it true, as far as the Opening Ceremony is concerned. They are still looking for the mole in either ATHOC or Jack Morton (production company) but I doubt that they will find him/her.

In any case I think it will be spectacular and different.

marin
Bronze

Post by marin »

Volos Stadium

Patra Stadium

Crete stadium

Thessaloniki Stadium

Karaiskaki Stadium (Athens-Pireus)

2004:The year of Greece
Bronze

Post by 2004:The year of Greece »

In our country dear friends ,we are very anxious about the after-olympic use of the venues...What happened in Australia?How much money do you pay in order to maintain the Olympic stadia in good condition??Also i would lbe grateful if you could tell me what other activities take place IN the past Olympic Venues in order to gain money(etc exhibitions,tournaments...)