speaking of cheap money...Texas A&M will spend $450m on their football facilities.
Kyle Field will get an expansion from 80k to 102k seats, a complete upgrade of the facilities and stadium facade, a couple of roofs and the ability to show everyone they have a bigger dick than the University of Texas.
Full discussion, video and more pics here: http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... kyle-field
Edit: watch the video. The stadium will be very
impressive... but Aggies are weird, right-wing people
Edit edit: interesting comment from a blog
We now have a stadium that divides the fan base into 5 distinct and discernable categories:http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/5/1 ... esentation
1. Students, who will have a milling about area highly visible to visitors, where they can watch the band come in, see the team roll on their Spirit Walk, meet up with buds, etc. These guys are still expected to yell like hell.
2. Recently graduated Former Students and visiting fans. Their seats are going to be relatively similar, as will the noise output per butt in seat, sort of.
3. More seasoned and well off Former Students, who will get to enter through the “Oh My God!” entrance, be able to see what you can aspire to for parking, seating, etc, will be able to sit in relative comfort with access to the incredible entrance way / museum / food court / pretty decent bathrooms (essential for guys with expanding prostates and worn out livers and bladders). Noise output for these guys won’t change much from what we have expected from this group before, but there will be more distractions for them.
4. Loaded Former Students who will shell out huge bucks for the right to sit between the 20 and 50 yard lines and gasp, the small to medium sized corporate sponsor seats that will be filled with “friends of Rome.” These guys will not have gone to A&M, and there will be a lot of them in the stadium. They will be sort of into the game, their seats will be rewards for knowing the guys with enough money to buy these seats as write offs, but not enough time or inclination to sit in them. These seat holders will be indistinquishable from those same corporate ticket holders at DKR, for example. And do not kid yourselves, there will be A LOT of these guys. We have a few of these now, but with a 30% increase in seating for a stadium that has only sold out for some games a year traditionally, A&M suits are going to AGGRESSIVELY market these. $450 million is a lot of mul-lah, and A&M would not be adding that many new seats without figuring how much more they can make per added seat.
5. The Oh My God, No One Can Have That Much Money crowd. These are the guys who are going to underwrite the whole schebang. Their will be one or two billionaires in this group, but most will be in the $150 to $500 million crowd, and of course you won’t be able to see them, they will be behind lots of glass and air conditioning. These will include the mega corporations.
Don’t kid yourselves guys, this upgrade will change the personality of the fan base in the stadium. How much that will be visible or discernable, only time will tell. This stadium is not designed as a center for football. Think of it sort of as a coliseum, the planned social / fund raising center of the university.