Vector Arena update: Janurary

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

this is the first time I've used google maps on NZ and my god North Harbour Stadium is in a sh*t position. The closest comparison I can think of is Epping Stadium in Melbourne. Right on the far northern outskirts of the city, convenient for nobody.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Simmo79 wrote:this is the first time I've used google maps on NZ and my god North Harbour Stadium is in a sh*t position. The closest comparison I can think of is Epping Stadium in Melbourne. Right on the far northern outskirts of the city, convenient for nobody.

LISTEN TO ME FUCKERS

IVE BEEN TELLING YOU THAT FOR YEARS

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Egan wrote:I wonder if the caketin can get a double layer added onto it?

A 60,000 stadium - perfect.
then it would be called the double boiler

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Oh god, we have had this conversation so many times...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The Kranky Kiwi wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:this is the first time I've used google maps on NZ and my god North Harbour Stadium is in a sh*t position. The closest comparison I can think of is Epping Stadium in Melbourne. Right on the far northern outskirts of the city, convenient for nobody.

LISTEN TO ME FUCKERS

IVE BEEN TELLING YOU THAT FOR YEARS
I do not recall...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Egan wrote:Oh god, we have had this conversation so many times...
pot calling the kettle tedious

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Simmo79 wrote:
Egan wrote:Oh god, we have had this conversation so many times...
pot calling the kettle tedious
I wish the WA guvment would put up some money for WA stadiums

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

See post #1

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They say it will be ready by March. We can read that as June which means it will still be ready for the Netball Champs. Good stuff!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Have they announced Auckland as the host?

Will be very tempted to go to Auckland for the World Netball Championships. Anyone else keen?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

No announcement has been made but the article referred to the World Champs so they are obviously quite keen. NZ would do worse to go elsewhere.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Yep especially considering Christchurch held the last World Championships in New Zealand...

crabs
Bronze

Post by crabs »

Seems the RHCP's sound man is less than impressed with the new Arena. From the NZ Herald.....
The Chili Peppers' official sound engineer has joined the debate on the Vector Arena, describing the new venue in less than complimentary terms.

Dave Rat, who has worked with the Chilis for 17 years, contacted nzherald.co.nz today after dozens of readers commented on the questionable sound quality of the venue.

Mr Rat said he had never commented on a concert review in a public forum before but felt compelled to speak out in the hopes that Vector Arena would improve its audio quality.

He said: "There was a significant roar of reflections that increased substantially with distance from stage that would easily categorize this new venue into the lower depths of not-so-good sound, to put it nicely. Unfinished is what comes to mind."

Mr Rat, founder of Rat Sound Systems Inc, said the sound quality at Vector Arena was highly dependent on where in the centre you were sitting.

"There should not have been any sold seats in areas not covered by speakers. There were many where the room reflections were significant enough to mask clarity and intelligibility," he wrote.

However, sound designer Chris Tate, who worked on both the Rockstar Supernova concert and the Official Vector Arena Opening ceremony, said he was surprised by how good the arena's acoustics were.

"There a lot of problems inherent with an arena of this size... There are a couple of issues with the glass rails they put in, where if you fire sound at it, it reflects off the glass," said Mr Tate.

"It's like shining light at a mirror. It bounces off."

But Mr Tate said the issues were not insurmountable and he was confident that the arena could sound good.

He also challenged Mr Rat's claim that the arena had no acoustic panels in the ceiling.

Mr Rat wrote: "A curved roof with no acoustic panels? What were they thinking. That is about as smart as having 10,000 kids on a floor as slick as an ice skating rink. Oh wait, we had that too.

"I know arenas and I know them well. This place is an echo chamber that can be greatly improved if adequate sound placements are added to reduce the sound reflections."

Mr Rat encouraged Aucklanders to campaign for Vector Arena's management to "solve the sonic issues".

He also took the opportunity to thank the warm and welcoming people of New Zealand and said that all the Chili Peppers band and crew loved the country.

A spokesman for Vector Arena said they were aware of a "limited number of sound reflective surfaces" and that the arena's design company Mainzeal was working on a permanent solution to try and resolve the issue

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

I walked down to the VA recently.

The area was f***ing dead, apart from some people inside walking around looking important so i wasn't game enough to try the doors.

There isn't an event yet that i'm willing to put up with so that i can check the guts of the building out.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

crabs wrote:Seems the RHCP's sound man is less than impressed with the new Arena. From the NZ Herald.....
The Chili Peppers' official sound engineer has joined the debate on the Vector Arena, describing the new venue in less than complimentary terms.

Dave Rat, who has worked with the Chilis for 17 years, contacted nzherald.co.nz today after dozens of readers commented on the questionable sound quality of the venue.

Mr Rat said he had never commented on a concert review in a public forum before but felt compelled to speak out in the hopes that Vector Arena would improve its audio quality.

He said: "There was a significant roar of reflections that increased substantially with distance from stage that would easily categorize this new venue into the lower depths of not-so-good sound, to put it nicely. Unfinished is what comes to mind."

Mr Rat, founder of Rat Sound Systems Inc, said the sound quality at Vector Arena was highly dependent on where in the centre you were sitting.

"There should not have been any sold seats in areas not covered by speakers. There were many where the room reflections were significant enough to mask clarity and intelligibility," he wrote.

However, sound designer Chris Tate, who worked on both the Rockstar Supernova concert and the Official Vector Arena Opening ceremony, said he was surprised by how good the arena's acoustics were.

"There a lot of problems inherent with an arena of this size... There are a couple of issues with the glass rails they put in, where if you fire sound at it, it reflects off the glass," said Mr Tate.

"It's like shining light at a mirror. It bounces off."

But Mr Tate said the issues were not insurmountable and he was confident that the arena could sound good.

He also challenged Mr Rat's claim that the arena had no acoustic panels in the ceiling.

Mr Rat wrote: "A curved roof with no acoustic panels? What were they thinking. That is about as smart as having 10,000 kids on a floor as slick as an ice skating rink. Oh wait, we had that too.

"I know arenas and I know them well. This place is an echo chamber that can be greatly improved if adequate sound placements are added to reduce the sound reflections."

Mr Rat encouraged Aucklanders to campaign for Vector Arena's management to "solve the sonic issues".

He also took the opportunity to thank the warm and welcoming people of New Zealand and said that all the Chili Peppers band and crew loved the country.

A spokesman for Vector Arena said they were aware of a "limited number of sound reflective surfaces" and that the arena's design company Mainzeal was working on a permanent solution to try and resolve the issue
Credibility instantly shot to ribbons.