NEW: Subiaco Masterplan

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

back onto the topic with todays front page story.

Footy's bid to get $40m poll pledge

EXCLUSIVE STEVE BUTLER

The WA Football Commission will today force Labor and the Coalition into a battle for the votes of sports fans by demanding they promise to spend $40 million expanding Subiaco Oval if they win office.

The commission wants both parties to make a taxpayer-funded commitment to an 8000-seat upgrade, based on a new, three-tier stand.

Commission chairman Neale Fong said the expansion was critical now that most West Coast and Fremantle games were sold out.

Taxpayers have already paid $35 million for the development of Subiaco Oval. A further $10 million has come from the Federal Government.

Dr Fong defended the commission's plan to ask for more public money, saying football was at the centre of the WA community. "The Government has both a moral and economic responsibility to provide infrastructure for football because of the returns the game gives to the State," he said.

But the plan got a cool reception from the Government and the Opposition last night. Sport and Recreation Minister Bob Kucera said football was not a priority and while it helped the commission retire a $25 million debt from the last redevelopment, it had an emphasis on junior and grass roots sport.

Coalition sport and recreation spokesman Terry Waldron said football was important but would not commit to funding the expansion.

The redevelopment, due for completion in 2007, involves the extension of the existing three-tier stand, including a new top tier, and stabilising parts of the ageing structure.

The commission also has plans for another $40 million extension at the eastern end of the ground, which would provide a further 8000 seats.

Under stage three, the Subiaco Road stand could be redeveloped, which may require the commission to buy land it sold for $400,000 in 1977.

Dr Fong said the commission would ask the State Government to help negotiate with the Subiaco City Council if there were problems about the expansion or naming rights. It also wanted to increase from 12 to 20 the number of night games and other events held at the ground each year.

He said football generated more than $350 million for the economy annually. "There is a perception in the community and within governments that footy is wealthy, but the fact is it's not. Football historically has an impact on the State and it is inappropriate to lock out our next generation of supporters," Dr Fong said.

------------------------------

More hot air, but at least the WAFC are committed to getting this development.

From my reading the 'masterplan' breaks down into three stages.
1) Redevelopment of Western End - renovation of ageing stands, addition of third tier to part. Adding 8,000 seats
2) Redevelopment of Eastern End (newest), construction of third tier adding additional 8,000 seats.
3) Redevelopment of Northern End, creating a third tier, adding many seats

Yet again, the ANZ stand will be dwarfed further. such a shame really, damn those houses!

mike
Last edited by perthsmike on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Maybe the government is losing patience with all these requests for cash. is this their way of saying the the WAFC that they should look to the private sector?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

WA remains the Stadium Scrooges of the country :)

I just hope like hell we dont spend 2 billion dollars on water (its looking like more)...that will infuriate the heck out of me when we have a 43,000 seat stadium that is being filled week after week.

Water levels in Dams have increased during the year and we are still spending billions and billions on water.

Jeffles something hinders Commercial Development...Subiaco Council the most ancient and non-progressive council in Western Australia.

Although my Train Line is looking better by the day :D

Its my one sanity in this state

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:WA remains the Stadium Scrooges of the country :)

I just hope like hell we dont spend 2 billion dollars on water (its looking like more)...that will infuriate the heck out of me when we have a 43,000 seat stadium that is being filled week after week.

Water levels in Dams have increased during the year and we are still spending billions and billions on water.
I feel a "james like post" from the man himself coming on. I'll bite my tongue regarding water.

Regarding Subi, I don't know much about WA planning laws but if it anything like NSW, the state govt could override them with an Act of Parliament (that's how Parramatta Stadium got built). If the WA govt wanted a bigger Subi but didn't want to pay for it and the private sector could pay for it, then maybe they'd do their bit and bypass the Council.

Yob, any thoughts?

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

I just hope like hell we dont spend 2 billion dollars on water...Although my Train Line is looking better by the day
Are you some kind of a retard!
A multi billion $ train line that will service less than a quarter of the city is more important to you than an infinite water supply that would serve all between the fitzroy and Perth instead of 'drinking' into the precious ground water. Think before you write. I'm glad one party has the balls to make the tough decisions.

On subiaco, I'm glad they're metioned continuing the 3rd teir to the eastern end. Perthsmike, do you still have any of the pics i sent you that you didn't put on the forum?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

tom wrote:Are you some kind of a retard!
Not exactly "james like" but you were on the right track. :lol:

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Sure do Tom. Here are the remaining Subiaco sketches:

Subiaco Cross-section, west to east.

Birds eye view showing the overhang of a thied teir over Subiaco Road if stage three occurs.

A more detailed view of the overhang.

Not sure what this is :P Seemingly a side on view of the plans from the above Birds eye shots.

Full credit to Tom on the artworks, helps put the proposals into a visual perpective.

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Guys settle down...I thought you would be used to my unjust crap :wink:

Water - I won't get into that debate.

Yes I am excited that the southern suburbs have finally got a train line after 30 years of waiting...and the water is a concern, but I feel the Government should not even think about spending that much on a reserve which can be explored in other ways.

Back to Subiaco, whose thinking this is just another pipe dream. A 10% chance of happening and it stirs up the whole forum :D

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

Sorry Egan, We will leave politics for another day.
And Mike, that last pic was just a rough idea of what the western facade could look like, note the overhanging teired tier. Though its is only rough and 2 years old, I still prefer it to the retro look.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

No probs Tom, had a right to have a go at me my views were a bit open ended.

But back to the issue.

Sorry Mr Schwab the Government have given all its pennies to the redevelopment of Members Equity Stadium. And yes W.A does lag behind the rest of the nation

this from www.thewest.com.au

Gallop rules Fong appeal out on full

STEVE BUTLER, WENDY PRYER and MONICA VIDENIEKS

Thousands of football fans will be locked out of Subiaco Oval if Labor and the coalition stand by their refusal yesterday to commit to a $40 million expansion of the State's premier stadium, according to WA's two AFL clubs.

Geoff Gallop rejected a WA Football Commission call for taxpayers to fund an 8000-seat upgrade, based on a new three-tier stand, at Subiaco Oval.

Opposition Leader Colin Barnett did not rule out spending taxpayers' dollars on the proposal but refused to make it an election issue, saying it would be considered if he won office.

Both parties said funding football was not a priority.

The Premier said his government was not interested in WAFC chairman Neale Fong's plea for financial help.

"Neale has been dashing down the half-forward flank, he's kicked for goal, but unfortunately, on this occasion, it's gone out of bounds on the full," Dr Gallop said.

"Football has got a very fair deal from the Government, and extra money for football is not on our agenda at the moment."

The rejection drew a furious response from both West Coast and Fremantle, as growing memberships at both clubs means games will be sold out consistently at the 42,000-seat venue.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett said football was desperate for a new or expanded stadium, but that could not be done without finance from the State Government.

Nisbett said the club would not tell its supporters how to vote in the State election on February 26, but would point out any commitment to football from either political party.

Only 3000 general admission tickets would be available for Eagles games this season.

Fremantle chief executive Cameron Schwab said football had been given strong government support Australia-wide and he would be disappointed if WA lagged behind its national counterparts.

"Given the pre-eminence for football in this State . . . the needs of football should be high on the agenda," Schwab said.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

That article had me ropeable. Don't they get it, they're turning their backs on an industry which injects hundreds of millions of dollars into the state economy annually! It's also not a matter of WA football suffering, but the government and opposition seem determined to deny to WA public a premier venue with a suitable capacity, capable of holding any major events. It seems that no one really comprehends the urgency of the dilemma, apart from the West Australian.

"Sport and Recreation Minister Bob Kucera said football was not a priority" This line made me furious. :evil: :evil: :evil: argh so frustrating, what do we have to do to get a stadium upgrade in this state!!

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

AFL needs to go international.

Its amazing how MES got 30 million, thats unheard of.

Like i said and its nothing to do with not having a sound base and happy with what the government does spend, but its about the fact that no stadium in this state gets upgraded unless we kick and scream or its to beat Melbourne...which was a prime reason to get the MES upgrade.

but Mike you had to realise it was never going to happen...the west has done a million and one stadium proposas

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

When they say it isn't a priority I think they mean they've spent a lot on elite football in the past decade so now they should focus on other areas (like health and education perhaps).

It's not as though they wouldnb't support an expansion. Why not get private sector funding.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

They won't give any money to any expansion...just like they gave no money to the WACA for expansion.

Spending money elsewhere has increased phenomenally, yet Sporting infrastructure has stayed the same for decades.

In reality Sport brings in dollars, brings incredible enjoyment to many west aussies and a sporting stadium increase in my mind is vital, because spending money in Health, Education is unlimited, a stadium is needed to give money for entertainment.

I realise the needs...but they need to know that people want to watch first class football/Rugby Union Tests/International Rules and Glory finals and saying it should simply go into health because it hasn't been spent...means that we will be forever having to deal with expensive tickets and the enjoyment that so many get from watching sport will be limited.

Thus spending money that you would on stadiums on health, is not needed something like 40% of our budget is already spent on Health.

A stadium increase though will not win votes...their was outrage when the government allocated 30 million for MES.

So thus 7 years I am predicting before Subi is a 50,000 seat stadium...unfortunately.
Why not get private sector funding.
As I said before Subiaco Town Council...no benefits for sponsors, not allowed to deck the stadium with advertising and their is no way your allowed Naming Rights sponsorship of the ground...very unattractive to sponsors.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

You speak so much of the Subiaco Council. Either you don't understand local politics or your state government has no backbone. Local councils are merely state divolved authorities that can be overruled by the state government. The WA govt could override any decision made by the local council.

Anyway, regarding ther sport spending, you cannot accuse the WA government of being stagnant. Look at Subi, the WACA and Perth Oval (sic) now and 10 years ago. Things have been done. It is just difficult to keep pace with growing crowds. We also have some of the related organisations with recent financial problems. I donb't think it is as clear cut as you guys make out.

I have no doubt a redevelopment of Subi will happen soon. The government is just prioritising.