NEW: Subiaco Masterplan

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I'll tell you guys what my biggest gripe with Subiaco is.

It is petty. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter all that much. If they solve this "problem" , it's unlikely that cancer will be cured by its flow on effects.

Here it is:

The damn seats are too low in the old stand. You see it on TV - the dudes in the first row barely have their heads over the level of the pitch, let alone the fence.

It gives me the shits!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Mate Ive noticed that, the lower tier has an incredible amount of seats and it is very cramped. Probably one of the worst places to watch sport if you dont like to be cramped - the new areas are much better :!:

Watched the Glory 2000 Grand Final and even though we where 10-15 rows up we were right in the middle of the net to see the ball struck firmly into the back of the net 12 times - so they where great seats.

A pool, tv screens in chairs, a nightclub (like telstra dome), timezone, buffet restaurant

You would get sell outs for every game if this occured :wink:

Hmm maybe locals Multiplex might decide to build this new end for us - hopefully, then MCG proportion stand might be possible :D

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

yob i understand where you're coming from. My WC Membership seats are in the bottom tier of the 3 tier stand and seating is quite cramped, although im 6 foot 2.5 and after a while I've grow accustomed to the minuscule amount of leg room. For Australian standards it is cramped, however I've sat in the first row a few times and its a great view. Given, its lower than other stadiums but its not that bad.

I had to laugh at Andrew Demetriou earlier in the year, when, being so in touch with WA footy he gave his much appreciated and informed opinion on our stadium state saying: "I don't think we'll see the stage where every weekend there will be a sell-out at Subiaco." Well, idiot, West Coast sold out 10 of their 11 home games this year. Only 198 tickets remained unsold for the entire season. And this being a season which
eagles sat outside the 8 for most of it. So I think its safe to say we need more seats NOW...

No doubt Multiplex (the proud western australians lol) would be involved. There is already a pool at Subiaco, I'm more excited about the things that will be built by the eagles at their supporter HQ! lol

mike

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

There is no dout this development will go to Multiplex, they almost run a monopoly in this state with the scraps going to Clough and Cox Howlett. This development makes me sick, the WAFC are as stupid as the WACA. They continue to miss the nail (its a big nail) with their hammer. 48 000 is pitiful. I've already talked to nausium about the lack of balance at Subi, they fail to see this and this confirms it. I have no confidence in Multiplex, they continue to spew out average crap in their home state. Maybe is the development went to someone else they'd lift their game. As someone mentioned before, this will be an extra 5000 seats for over $30 million and that is cheap (note WA always goes cheap), the Gabba is spending over $50 million for the plug job. I think I'll clarify my dribble with a letter to the editor of the West Australian and the WAFC.
I think I know how to use my scanner now so can I email some pictures to any of you guys?

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

sure tom. look in my profile or "msnmessenger" profile to get my email (at least i think thats how you can get it) if not ill personal message you later on.

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

This development makes me sick, the WAFC are as stupid as the WACA. They continue to miss the nail (its a big nail) with their hammer. 48 000 is pitiful.
I wouldn't go that far mate :wink:

But we are being severely ripped off in this state by successive governments who wish not to spend money on a new stadium. Im sure many Eagles fans would quite happily increase their taxes so the government gets a 2 billion surplus and they can finally think that maybe we could spend money on building a suitable stadium.

Eg 35 million payed for in the last redevelopment of Subiaco Oval, while at the same time 30 million is payed to redevelop a soccer stadium - which didnt have a regular tenant getting big crowds. Brisbane spending 200 million for suncorp.

We just have a very cheap government when it comes to stadium funding and it drives me and maybe others mad :!:

We just need a stadium fanatic to become Premier of WA :wink:

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

Thats a good piont you raised about the $2 billion surplus. You want a Surplus Federally but when it comes to state, shouldn't we be spending and developing and have a balanced book. These is just an unbelievable ignorance towards Architecture of all kinds in WA, but thats what you get when this city is driven by developers who only care about the money but have left us with a bland suburban spraul with with catalogue homes being the mean.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Tom has managed to send me some of his drawings and they are pretty damn impressive.

TOM'S SUBIACO VISIONS:

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Congratulations Tom, they look absoloutley amazing. Id be proud to watch sport in that stadium.

I think an email to the WAFC is needed :!:

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

cheers guys. Those pictures where drawn in 2000. I don't really like them anymore, that whole retro thing is really shallow to me, anyway what is the point of having a nostalgic American looking stadium in Australia. Its not real and it lacks confidence in todays and tomorrows style.

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

We need more people with toms vision in high places in perth. I love what you have done with teh ANZ stand, it looks a bit like the nou camp.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

tom wrote:cheers guys. Those pictures where drawn in 2000. I don't really like them anymore, that whole retro thing is really shallow to me, anyway what is the point of having a nostalgic American looking stadium in Australia. Its not real and it lacks confidence in todays and tomorrows style.
The ability to be self-critical is a good one to have.

I agree with your criticisms.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

From Saturdays paper (sorry its a bit late, been away all weekend):

WAFC eager on Subiaco Oval plans
Can't be bothered finding it on the net, but it goes on to explain the commission is very keen to get the two, possibly three, development proposals finalised within the next week or so (the extended deadline for submissions is Thursday I think) The proposals must include the development of a $6 million dollar West Coast Eagle supporters club (and associated stores, facilities, perhaps even a multi-storey hotel) and the stadium expansions (of the western end) to accommodate at least 48,000 people. All news we already know, but at least it's confirming things are actually happening. Talks are also underway with the cricket officials and a naming rights deal is in the process of completion.

I'd expect a few reports over the next few weeks as the developers (I'd be thinking Multiplex, Mirvac Fini and some other, perhaps Westpoint?) lodge there proposals = renders! :D I'll keep you posted!

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Coming across this on the net, just wanted to show you why Hadyn Bunton had a street named after him in Subiaco, Yob. An amazing footballer.

A bloodied Swan Districts captain-coach Haydn Bunton is chaired off Subiaco Oval after his team's grand final victory against East Fremantle in 1963. The win marked a league premiership hat-trick, with Swan's having already won the 1961 and 1962 flags under Bunton's leadership.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Is Bunton "the greatest ever" in AFL polls etc?

His record is quite impressive.