Secret plan for Subiaco Oval

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:They might have included the Gold Coast in those figures James?
Nope.
James whats the point of putting seats in an area, that is where only people who stand watch soccer.
...hmm
Super 12 final would be played at Subiaco.
Getting ahead of yourself, don't you think?

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Just remembered this little thing i made a while back. It's the only area of the ground, which can be viably redeveloped (without having to demolish surrounding infrastructure etc). Ironically, this is something like the WAFC's latest plans - demolishing the western stand area (presumably the 3 tier and old 2 tier) and replacing it with a new stand bringing capacity to 50,000. Just thought it might give people more of an understanding of how it will change Subiaco.

SUBIACO BEFORE DEVELOPMENT (CURRENT)

SUBIACO AFTER DEVELOPMENT

can you see em?

mike

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

nah mike......cant see them: "trying to access an image from outside imagestation.com" any way around it, or is it even just me??

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

hehehe - as soon as i returned they were there. i guess it must have been pure magic!!
i see what you mean mike. is there anyway that the ANZ stand (thats the one on the wing that you can see in the picture, isnt it) can be redone - it doesnt really fit in that well - no cohesive. i know that there is hardly any space there at all, but it really looks small and underdone

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

thank god it worked.

Structurally, a stand could be built over hanging the road (similar to sections of the Gabba) however due to their being homes and shops etc directly over the road building higher will block all sunlight from reaching these buildings and that is not allowed. so the only way it can be developed is to bulldoze those buildings and if that’s done i'd expect they would move the road as well. All costing lots and lots of money!

mike

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

sounds a bit like the (much maligned) legends stand - overhangs the area outside the ground.
tell me mike -- is the anz stand full of boxes or something. thjere is just something really not right about it

sometimes the pictures work, sometimes they dont. and even sometimes one works and the other doesnt

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

I think the thing about the ANZ stand which makes it look a tad odd is the fact that it is designed to fit on an oval ground yet the main structure is rectangular making it look whacked. the upper storey's (2 and 3) USED to be corporate and private boxes, however now only the top story is, the 2nd has been changed into 'Captain Club' seating (the best seats in the house) The lower tier is just seats - about 5,000-6,000 i would estimate.

mike

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

As I have mentioned in a previous post it is structurally possible to add a new 3rd tier to the northern wing. It would have to overhang the road by about 5m if my sketchs and calculations are correct. Having a 3rd tier on the northern wing from the old 3 tier stand on the west to the goals on the east end the cacacity could exceed 62 000. The only area blocked by sun light would be the playing surface because the sun is to the north, but is grows at the MCG though.

langa
Bronze

Post by langa »

In responce to the Telstra Dome for perth comment, it's not a bad idea.
In theory telstra dome is brilliant but such things like when the seats are brought in for soccer/boxing etc. the grass gets badly damaged and the AFL here in melbourne don't have a bar of it.

Other than that the a 50,000 capacity is all that perth needs. As sport is no longer about cramming everyone into a 100,000+ stadium, but creating a state-of the-art facilility to which people will come back to.

However there is something about a ground which is personalised to a clubs needs which creates a terrific atomsphere which multi-purpose grounds fall a tad short.

:? what to do, that's why i'm still in uni and there are managers out there getting it done.[/quote]

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

[quote="langa"]In responce to the Telstra Dome for perth comment, it's not a bad idea.
In theory telstra dome is brilliant but such things like when the seats are brought in for soccer/boxing etc. the grass gets badly damaged and the AFL here in melbourne don't have a bar of it.

Other than that the a 50,000 capacity is all that perth needs.[/quote][/quote]

i dont reckon that's the solution - well not an exact replica of telstra dome, or just a 50,000 capacity.....that said, i am now undecided. there have been so many viewpoints put forward now on this issue that i am sitting on the fence. i do know, however, that i dont want a big ugly slab of concrete in perth (as good as it is to watch footy in though)

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

concrete is beautiful

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

really?? i would beg to differ....especially in the case of telstra dome. each to his own though

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Perhaps the operative word is 'can':

concrete can be beautiful :wink:

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

it can? :?

well i personally think telstra dome looks fine. although in perth? not at all. for one i dont really think a roof is necessary unless the venue also plans to hold concerts and exhibitions which i cant seen really with the new PECC and rumoured indoor arena, and anyway open air concerts are fine.

hmmm now how to get a new stadium to have character? well the eagles could build a giant nest with huge mechanical eagle "buccaneers style" (the team in the NFL with their huge ship thing)...?

its all about CAPACITY and COMFORT and of course the availability to be redeveloped (unlike subi)

mike

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

yes im sure they could build a huge eagle!! :lol: and then wait till it falls down, stops working, or becomes a safety hazard!!!

i do agree with your points though mike