Secret plan for Subiaco Oval

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Secret plan for Subiaco Oval

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Personally i think this proposal lacks and form of foresight. don’t they realise that once the western end is redeveloped, which isn't the most important plan at this time anyway, there will be nothing for them to do and the stadium will be stuck at whatever capacity (around 48,000), unable to be further redeveloped without a massive project involving the demolition and rearrangement of major infrastructure around the stadium. Perhaps they are just all thick or im missing something that they aren't letting on, god knows. but it sounds like a big fat waste of money, especially when it could go towards building a new stadium which has the ability to grow.

Golden line tho >> "We want to try to accommodate the Eagles.." meaning: 'oh sh*t, afl in wa is booming, most specifically the eagles and we at the WA footy commission are missing out on big $$$ by having a stadium which is too small. lets quickly rush chuck on this new stand thing and everything will be fixed... for about 5 years max' :roll:

at least it made the front page -people are slowly realising the demand and should soon start asking questions 'ie why does Perth have i tiny stadium when we need a bigger one!!". i wonder how that "super stadium" proposal is going. its all hush hush which is very annoying, why cant they just tell us what they are doing and we can offer opinions! sheeeesh.

mike

josephjohn84
Bronze

Post by josephjohn84 »

what perth need to do is knock down subiaco, waca, and perth glory stadium and build an exact replica of telstra dome

its perfect for perth

55000 capacity - perfect for perth for the next 30 years, the roof will generate extra interest

50000 for soccer

they obviously need to make better use of the turf and implement new technology so that they can roll in the stands for soccer adn not damage the turf and also drop in a pitch for cricket

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

wat happens in 15 years tho wen the demand is greater and 54,000 isn;t big enough? bulldoze it and start yet again? what ever they decide to build it MUST be able to be continually upgraded for the next 80 years.

mike

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Yob

It's not a secret if it's in the papers :lol:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Last edited by yob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

perthsmike wrote:wat happens in 15 years tho wen the demand is greater and 54,000 isn;t big enough? bulldoze it and start yet again? what ever they decide to build it MUST be able to be continually upgraded for the next 80 years.
I don't get it. Will sporting attendences increase as time passes by? We always hear about the huge crowds that used to attend sporting fixtures around the world.

I suspect you put forward the 'increasing demand' argument because you really want a 100,000-seat stadium NOW! After all, isn't that what we all want? :D

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

lol very true a 100,000 seater would fit in nicely - although doubt it would ever be fully used to full potential.

Demand in Perth will grow as population grows. WA has a booming economy, primarily due to natural resources and its predicted population figures over the next 40-60 years are definately positive. anyone with exactly figures? (at least 3 million i would think) if demand is currently high enough to generate sell outs each eagles game and at every major event that comes here, then that warrants the need for a new, larger stadium. :)

btw ive gone on about this a lot in the other threads about subiaco and waca etc, probably sound like a broken record but i just cant grasp the mentality behind the government planning authorities etc.

mike

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

The ABS website predicts WA's population by 2051 will be somewhere between 2.2 and 3.5 million. Perth's population between 1.8 and 2.7m

Melbourne's current pop. is ~3.5 million and Sydney's 4 million. Melbourne has a ~50,000-seat stadium and a soon to be ~100,000-seat stadium. Sydney has a ~40,000-seat stadium and a ~80,000-seat stadium.

Hmmm, that's great, but what does it mean?

Interestingly, Brisbane's population could be as high as 3.7 million by 2051. :shock:

http://abs.gov.au/Ausstats/abs%40.nsf/b ... enDocument

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Cheers for the stats James.

ok, say in 2051 perth has the same rate of urbanisation is it does today (~79.4%), despite the fact that urbanisation is increasing due to basic demographic/technological advances in rural settlements over time, that will mean that Perth's population will be roughly 2.38million with a state population of 3 million. An increase in population means an increase in the market threshold for such given good, or in this case, service. In other words, a facility designed for a population of 1.3million and the associated demand this 1.3million created will be doubled. Now i know this is very theoretical and there's always the point, "but what if it?" however im just arguing these projected statistics. Relate this to the West Coast Eagles who this year are averaging crowds of 39,790 with 4 of these 5 games "officially" selling out (last weeks game against Richmond had something like 500 tickets unsold) Now if the current demand is so substantial, times this by at least 1.5 when demand practically doubles due to population increase. Even now, hundreds of people miss out on tickets due to the simple fact that in order to go to the game you have to be either a member or book weeks in advance.

Think also back to last years International Rules game held in Perth. As Eddie mentioned roughly 47,000 times that game sold out in 3 days, 21 days before the actual event! Rugby crowds are getting solid crowd figures and Perth people generally crave genuine big sporting events. And that my friend is how a growing Perth population will create the excess demand making a larger stadium (60,000+) viable in the not so distant future.

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

what perth need to do is knock down subiaco, waca, and perth glory stadium and build an exact replica of telstra dome

its perfect for perth

55000 capacity - perfect for perth for the next 30 years, the roof will generate extra interest

50000 for soccer
Although I do like you because you want to demolish the WACA. :wink: Demolishing Perth Oval is not needed, soccer demand has not reached that peak. Plus i'd hate to watch soccer week in week out at an oval. Watching Perth Glory in a football stadium wouldn't be acceptable to the fans or the owner. If your considering the extension of the sideline with the stands for a capacity of 50,000 for soccer. Again I reject as a soccer supporter, the best thing is the atmosphere at MES that is so much better then Subiaco. We need a stadium that caters for the shed that is a vast standing room, a rectangular pitch and a smaller capacity so the atmosphere is better.

To perthsmike, we have to accept what we can get. In 10 15 years time like the government said they can build a superstadium. Id rather increase the stadium to 50,000 now to wait 15 years for a stadium of 60-70,000 . This is genuine good news for the people of Perth. Eagles membership can increase, prices for Dockers games decrease (due to greater availability) and everybodys happy, it should curtail demand for maybe 6 or 7 years. The only way to plan for a long time is like James said to build a 100,000 seat stadium, that everyone would want.

By the end of this century apparently Perth will be bigger then Brisbane. Now thats scary.

Glad to see that Subiacos getting a capacity rise, beggars can't be choosey. The best news in a while. Id like a roof on the stadium aswell. The reason for the roof is instead of building an indoor purpose built stadium. As this can cater for concerts in the stadium instead of having to build a multi-purpose stadium. I just can't believe the frugal government is allowing this much money for a stadium. Considering they are making the WA footy commission pay back most of the money for redevelopment and making Glory pay money to the Town Of Vincent.

Times look set to change

I

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

Egan wrote:

its perfect for perth

50000 for soccer
I reject as a soccer supporter, the best thing is the atmosphere at MES that is so much better then Subiaco. We need a stadium that caters for the shed that is a vast standing room, a rectangular pitch and a smaller capacity so the atmosphere is better.

I
I agree, MES is the soccer venue 100 percent. But the shed dont really need Standing room. Like they did with the Kop at Anfield the shed could just stand in stead of sitting down. This is great news for SUBI, all the big glory and future super 14 games could be played there. Like The queensland reds played one game at suncorp this year. That kind of thing.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

no complaints here about any stadium redevelopment. i just think those guys proposing and approving such plans hav rocks in their heads. :D hmmm i think i should just take over and plan it all - least then i'd be happy! gimme 10 years... :twisted:

mike

ps. wats this about the roof? ive heard nothing and cant begin to imagine how it would work? :?:

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:By the end of this century apparently Perth will be bigger then Brisbane.
Well by 2051, Brisbane will have a headstart of somewhere between 600k and 1m on Perth.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

They might have included the Gold Coast in those figures James?
Eventually Perth will be bigger.

James whats the point of putting seats in an area, that is where only people who stand watch soccer. The stadium doesnt need seats if people who go want to stand. Their is simply no point.

Perthsmike, write an email to the WACA on why we don't have a sufficient stadium. Then you might not need to throw rocks at the WA footy commission. The WACA are the reason for ALL STADIUM problems in PERTH :wink:

All the big Glory games are already played their, Super 12 final would be played at Subiaco. Im pretty sure where going to get that competition, who would wanna base super 12 in Victoria? Only a nutcase would :wink: