Memorial Drive

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Memorial Drive

Post by yob »

Linking another forum post which plucked an adelaidenow article:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 88#p145288

$200 million upgrade to the Memorial Drive tennis centre. I feel like a bit of an old fart talking about this place, but yes, that tennis court next to the Adelaide Oval is apparently still open. Renders look pretty hot tbh.

Interestingly the article suggests netball and basketball as co tenants. Whether this means the state bodies and administration or the national teams is unclear. But if the latter... what of ETSA park? Or whatever they call it now. Wouldn't surprise me to see all the basketball move there and give the Powerhouse the flick, because everyone's had a personal hard on for that money sink for a while.

yob
Platinum

Re: Memorial Drive

Post by yob »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/pl ... a952f22311

Paywalled, article is over a year old, but suggests a capacity of 18,000 and indeed netball and basketball (at least inernationals) consolidated in to the venue.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Would such an indoor venue take events from the Entertainment centre?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Would be a waste if it did. AEC has always been considered a bit of a (necessary) white elephant, so the competition would hurt. And they extended the tram so it terminates at the AEC now so seems a bit of a waste.

I wonder what happens to ETSA Park and the Powerhouse. Not sure what development potential exists for ETSA Park, and it is basically under the airport runway. The Powerhouse has a bit of land but is in Findon. I grew up there and it is a shithole.