2015 NSW election aftermath, what does it mean for stadiums?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

Which stadium in NSW do you want to see upgraded?

Sydney Football Stadium
38%
Stadium Australia
15%
Parramatta Stadium
23%
Sydney Cricket Ground
No votes
Brookvale Oval
15%
Endeavour Field
No votes
Leichhardt Oval
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 13

Boba Fett
Silver

Re: 2015 NSW election aftermath, what does it mean for stadi

Post by Boba Fett »

gyfox wrote:DT has an article up saying ANZ is to "lose out" on funding with Moore Park and Parramatta to get new stadiums. I couldn't think of a worse result for the A-League and FFA. I'd put a link up but the article is behind a wall.

Summary from another site:

$800m for a 65k stadium on the Kippax site.

$100m to demolish Allianz and put a multipurpose venue there that could host concerts plus sport.

$400m for a new 35k stadium in Parramatta.

ANZ leasees be paid $135m over 15 years but need to release restrictions on other stadiums.

New major stadium authority to be established that controls all Moore Park venues, ANZ and Pirtek/replacement.
When you say "Kippax site", does that mean on Kippax Lake next to the SCG? I presume the reason for using that site is they can build that while continuing to use Allianz?

And - "multi-purpose venue"? Is that an indoor arena? Not going to get much for $100m if that includes demolition of Allianz...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

There's a lot to think about with this but I can't get over the idea that it's $600m above the budget that's been allocated. Tell him he's dreamin'

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Boba Fett wrote:
gyfox wrote:DT has an article up saying ANZ is to "lose out" on funding with Moore Park and Parramatta to get new stadiums. I couldn't think of a worse result for the A-League and FFA. I'd put a link up but the article is behind a wall.

Summary from another site:

$800m for a 65k stadium on the Kippax site.

$100m to demolish Allianz and put a multipurpose venue there that could host concerts plus sport.

$400m for a new 35k stadium in Parramatta.

ANZ leasees be paid $135m over 15 years but need to release restrictions on other stadiums.

New major stadium authority to be established that controls all Moore Park venues, ANZ and Pirtek/replacement.
When you say "Kippax site", does that mean on Kippax Lake next to the SCG? I presume the reason for using that site is they can build that while continuing to use Allianz?

And - "multi-purpose venue"? Is that an indoor arena? Not going to get much for $100m if that includes demolition of Allianz...

Image for clarification.

I was amused to see the image of Pirtek upgraded for the Eels and Wanderers with smurfs in attendance.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

So the multipurpose venue is an indoor arena I'm guessing? Basically a bigger version of the Entertainment Centre, or another SuperDome.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Goodbye ANZ and good riddance. Ordinary gradient, optimal for none of its major tennants and located beyond thunderdome. Sport is finally returning where it belongs.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

While I understand the shortcomings of ANZ I find moving the city's major stadium from the demographic centre of Sydney to the eastern half of the eastern half of the city while forecast population growth west of the current location is double that to the east is a perverse sort of logic that smacks of an attitude of entitlement by those who are already favoured by an abundance of superior services.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

The opposition grows.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/clover-moore- ... gtrqk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

gyfox wrote:The opposition grows.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/clover-moore- ... gtrqk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Gallop warning that Sydney risks losing football games to Melbourne if ANZ is not upgraded.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 7335070092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

gyfox wrote:While I understand the shortcomings of ANZ I find moving the city's major stadium from the demographic centre of Sydney to the eastern half of the eastern half of the city while forecast population growth west of the current location is double that to the east is a perverse sort of logic that smacks of an attitude of entitlement by those who are already favoured by an abundance of superior services.
This is a generational thing that has happened throughout the country. Aussie rules fled to the cheap peri urban Waverley, eventually got reeled back in to the middle class inner city. Aussie rules fled to the swamp in Adelaide, reeled back in to yuppie Adelaide Oval. The ACT football codes live out at Bruce - where does the ACT government want it? Smack bang in the CBD. When left to economic considerations - land values - sport moves to the burbs. When governments intervene sport gets dragged back to the city.

If this new funding/development proposal in NSW wins favour then it appears SOZ is done. Rather than close it and take the hit financially/politically though the government is opting for the generation of under investment method.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

yob wrote:
gyfox wrote:While I understand the shortcomings of ANZ I find moving the city's major stadium from the demographic centre of Sydney to the eastern half of the eastern half of the city while forecast population growth west of the current location is double that to the east is a perverse sort of logic that smacks of an attitude of entitlement by those who are already favoured by an abundance of superior services.
This is a generational thing that has happened throughout the country. Aussie rules fled to the cheap peri urban Waverley, eventually got reeled back in to the middle class inner city. Aussie rules fled to the swamp in Adelaide, reeled back in to yuppie Adelaide Oval. The ACT football codes live out at Bruce - where does the ACT government want it? Smack bang in the CBD. When left to economic considerations - land values - sport moves to the burbs. When governments intervene sport gets dragged back to the city.

If this new funding/development proposal in NSW wins favour then it appears SOZ is done. Rather than close it and take the hit financially/politically though the government is opting for the generation of under investment method.
The strong rumour is that Premier Baird favours the re-development of ANZ but the power brokers that control the SCG Trust and the old Showground developers have the ear of the Minister. Its a crazy proposition to be downgrading the capacity of the city's major stadium and moving it east further away from two thirds of the population that it is meant to serve. Accelerate the activation of the area as detailed in SOPA's Master Plan so that patronage of the area is more than doubled to 15m pa., upgrade the stadium as per the Maracana and you have a world class facility in a business, event, food, sport and entertainment precinct. The result is a fit for purpose larger stadium better served by public and private transport links at the demographic centre of Sydney whilst still retaining a smaller venue at Moore Park.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

gyfox wrote:
yob wrote:

The strong rumour is that Premier Baird favours the re-development of ANZ but the power brokers that control the SCG Trust and the old Showground developers have the ear of the Minister. Its a crazy proposition to be downgrading the capacity of the city's major stadium and moving it east further away from two thirds of the population that it is meant to serve. Accelerate the activation of the area as detailed in SOPA's Master Plan so that patronage of the area is more than doubled to 15m pa., upgrade the stadium as per the Maracana and you have a world class facility in a business, event, food, sport and entertainment precinct. The result is a fit for purpose larger stadium better served by public and private transport links at the demographic centre of Sydney whilst still retaining a smaller venue at Moore Park.
Same things could be said of Waverley. Melbourne's CBD is not its geographical centre. Not even close. Rather interesting too - Maracana and Waverley were scary similar.

It's a fact of life that sometimes the economics are set aside in these decisions because the middle class wants things.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

The wind has changed again.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 7344436177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was obviously flawed and with the Premier against it and then getting flack from the green lobby, the local council, the clubs negatively affected by it the whole shebang is under review with Brogden to provide options rather than a solution.

I'm not sure the work required at Pirtek, ANZ and Allianz to update them can be done for Baird's $600m but if the Ayres/Brogden $1.3b was still on the table I'd include upgrades to Brookvale, Kogarah, Campbelltown and Penrith to say 25k capacity with 18k seats if their sites allow it and then have Pirtek 35k, Allianz 45k and ANZ 80k rectangular with any need for a bigger oval format venue being achieved by ongoing upgrades to the SCG and the Showground when needed.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Hopefully the Kippax stadium is never mentioned again. The sides of SFS are fine. Demo the ends, bring them in / make them retractable, pull a tarp over the whole thing, done.

Moore Park doesn't need a larger rectangular stadium, it needs a smaller one with higher amenity.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

yob wrote:Hopefully the Kippax stadium is never mentioned again. The sides of SFS are fine. Demo the ends, bring them in / make them retractable, pull a tarp over the whole thing, done.

Moore Park doesn't need a larger rectangular stadium, it needs a smaller one with higher amenity.
Sides aren't fine. There's f**k all capacity for corporates, and the rooms are rubbish - they're so tightly tucked under the upper deck that the ceilings obstruct the view to the other side of the ground.

skippy
Bronze

Post by skippy »

Melbourne's AAMI Park would be the perfect formula for Sydney - a mid-sized rectangular stadium, all-seater, 20 mins walk from CBD, near to dozens of pubs, cafes, restaurants, served by light rail.

Only a few events a year can attract crowds of more than 40,000. These can remain at ANZ IMO.