Beginning of the end for suburban NRL stadiums?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
gyfox
Platinum

Re: Beginning of the end for suburban NRL stadiums?

Post by gyfox »

dibo wrote:Has anybody seen a pic of what the new/renovated Parra Stadium is supposed to look like?
The only images I have seen are linked below but I'm not sure if they were prepared for the latest version of the master plan that was done by Hassel's.

http://www.app.com.au/parramatta-stadium-business-case

http://www.1eyedeel.com/forum/topics/pa ... e=activity

and details of what happens in each stage is detailed in this link.

http://businesspapers.parracity.nsw.gov ... 2496_1.htm

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

gyfox wrote:
the crow wrote:Parramatta stadium is capped at 35k by stadium Australia.

I assume that this restriction would disappear when Stadium Australia reverts to government ownership in 2031.

Tick!....it's the same document that limits the SCG & SFS.

NRLandMore
Bronze

Post by NRLandMore »

Needs to be a new venue to work best.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

The idea that professional rectangular code football only be played in 3 venues in a city of 5 million people is ridiculous.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

yob wrote:The idea that professional rectangular code football only be played in 3 venues in a city of 5 million people is ridiculous.
I don't think there's any chance of Cronulla or Manly ever rationalising.

They'll relocate first.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

yob wrote:The idea that professional rectangular code football only be played in 3 venues in a city of 5 million people is ridiculous.
Why?

Seems to work in many other cities around the world much bigger than Sydney...

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Boba Fett wrote:
Why?

How many teams do those cities have though? I can't see there being any true rule for working out how many venues are needed for a city. It boils down to how well situated each club is to its fanbase. Sport is a retail business and location is everything. If fanbases are dispersed and can be well-serviced with a central facility then great, but if the fanbase is local then the stadium has to be local as well.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Simmo79 wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
Why?

How many teams do those cities have though? I can't see there being any true rule for working out how many venues are needed for a city. It boils down to how well situated each club is to its fanbase. Sport is a retail business and location is everything. If fanbases are dispersed and can be well-serviced with a central facility then great, but if the fanbase is local then the stadium has to be local as well.
And how geographically spread are those cities...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

dibo wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:

It was interesting to read in the NSW Stadia Strategy that the population in Melbourne was 50% more dense than the population in Sydney meaning that Sydney required a more intelligent stadia solution than a simple centralised hub and precinct model.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Where does one in Sydney watch professional football of any code north of the harbour? Why, Gosford of course!

Absolutely ridiculous.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

gyfox wrote:
dibo wrote:
Simmo79 wrote:

It was interesting to read in the NSW Stadia Strategy that the population in Melbourne was 50% more dense than the population in Sydney meaning that Sydney required a more intelligent stadia solution than a simple centralised hub and precinct model.
No sh*t.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Simmo79 wrote:
gyfox wrote:

No sh*t.
Its probably why they follow AFL.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

The ideal solution would have been, in my opinion:

Inner City Stadium (45,000) - SFS (Eastern Suburbs, NSW Waratahs, Sydney FC)

Inner West Stadium (83,500) - Stadium Australia (Canterbury-Bankstown, South Sydney)

Central Outer West Stadium (30,000) - Blacktown/Eastern Creek (Wests, Parramatta, Penrith, WS Wanderers)

Southern Sydney Stadium (30,000) - Top of Sutherland Shire/Bottom of St. George region, as close to bridge as possible (St.George-Illawarra, Cronulla-Sutherland)

That would have solved the problems of all clubs barring Manly, about whom I could not care less.

St.George and Cronulla going their own way has scuppered any chance of the southern option, but the other three are still viable imo.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Timbo wrote:The ideal solution would have been, in my opinion:

Inner City Stadium (45,000) - SFS (Eastern Suburbs, NSW Waratahs, Sydney FC)

Inner West Stadium (83,500) - Stadium Australia (Canterbury-Bankstown, South Sydney)

Central Outer West Stadium (30,000) - Blacktown/Eastern Creek (Wests, Parramatta, Penrith, WS Wanderers)

Southern Sydney Stadium (30,000) - Top of Sutherland Shire/Bottom of St. George region, as close to bridge as possible (St.George-Illawarra, Cronulla-Sutherland)

That would have solved the problems of all clubs barring Manly, about whom I could not care less.

St.George and Cronulla going their own way has scuppered any chance of the southern option, but the other three are still viable imo.

So nothing for south west Sydney with current population 452k soon to be near 1 million that passes the southern suburbs from Marrackville down sometime between 2021 and 2026? And please don't suggest the Eastern Creek/ Blacktown has any link whatsoever with that region. It is a world away.

I have posted on other forums and I think before on here that it is impossible to service western Sydney long term with a single Tier 2 stadium. The region will have the majority of Sydney's population by 2036.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Gyfox is correct a stadium in Liverpool would serve the whole South-West well. From St George / Marrickville right down to Campbelltown . This is the M5 / East Hill line corridor.