Beginning of the end for suburban NRL stadiums?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
the crow
Gold

Re: Beginning of the end for suburban NRL stadiums?

Post by the crow »

Boba Fett wrote:
Rob wrote:
adamj1300 wrote: no how about use some of their profits from their league clubs to pay for something?
NRL leagues clubs are usually completely separate entities whose members are more concerned about getting a $10 parma and pint than rugby league. Why would those members want to see their money put into a stadium?
You're correct, but you could make the same argument about taxpayers. For instance, why would I want to see my tax dollars be spent building a 40k seat stadium in Penrith that I'll never go to?
Just put the pokies and leagues club in the stadium....then you will see progress.

adamj1300
Bronze

Post by adamj1300 »

Rob wrote:
adamj1300 wrote: no how about use some of their profits from their league clubs to pay for something?
NRL leagues clubs are usually completely separate entities whose members are more concerned about getting a $10 parma and pint than rugby league. Why would those members want to see their money put into a stadium?
the league clubs would not exist with out the NRL club. the league clubs fund the NRL clubs short falls

adamj1300
Bronze

Post by adamj1300 »

Egan wrote:
gyfox wrote:I'm wondering how much of the $1.1b poker machine tax raised in NSW each year should go into sport rather than general revenue.
It's how Beattie redeveloped GABBA, Suncorp, Ballymore and Queensland Athletics Stadium...
the GABBA is the main stadium for AFL and cricket in brisbane and QLD
SUNCORP stadium is the main stadium for the broncos, Reds & Roar, hosts concerts & a some SOO games every year.

NSW has enough grounds that are funded by tax payer dollars, for the sake of the team having its own suburban ground that gets used only a few times a year. add in the fact a few other grounds that rarely get used. :der:

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Not sure either QAS or Ballymore saw a helluva lot of money either. Each has been barely used since Lang Park reopened.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

adamj1300 wrote: the league clubs would not exist with out the NRL club. the league clubs fund the NRL clubs short falls
They probably wouldn't have been built without the football club existing first - but I doubt many of the people who regularly go to Parramatta, St George or Penrith Leagues clubs particularly care about the football club
If it was an RSL club with the same facilities in the same area then they would go there

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

My ideal model for Sydney's NRL clubs would be:
Roosters: 10 games at SFS. 2 at Central Coast/Perth/Regional
Souths: 10 games at SFS. 2 at Central Coast/Perth/Regional
Dogs: 10 games at Homebush. 2 at Central Coast/Adelaide/Regional
Parra: 6 games at Parramatta. 6 games at Homebush
Penrith: 10 games at Penrith. 2 games at Homebush
Wests: 8 games at Homebush. 2 games at Leichhardt/Campbelltown
Saints: 8 games at SFS. 4 games at Wollongong
Manly: 8 games at Brookvale. 4 games at SFS/Gosford
Cronulla: 10 games at Cronulla. 2 games at SFS

This would give:
Homebush: 26 + SOO and finals (~30)
SFS: 32 + finals (~35)

Adding in Union and Soccer matches would see the SFS used at least 50 times a year and Homebush just under.
This makes a decent case for government funding for stadium upgrades and improved transport links

Don't see the value in building a new stadium at Blacktown. Would be better to spend 25% of that to upgrade Parramatta