Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: Cricket World Cup 2015 Stadiums.

Post by Boba Fett »

Rob wrote:All the stadiums in Australia will also be a lot better than they were in 1992, with the exception of the WACA which will be worse, especially if they've actually built that residential block at deep mid wicket like they keep promising. Plus you can add an extra one in Sydney that will be used.

Launceston might get a game as well, it's a better ground than anything in Canberra and Newcastle. Not sure what the f**k in Newcastle is capable of holding a world cup match.
Remember they need a range of capacities - can't imagine Kenya v Canada (for example) is going to draw much of a crowd.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Boba Fett wrote:
Rob wrote:All the stadiums in Australia will also be a lot better than they were in 1992, with the exception of the WACA which will be worse, especially if they've actually built that residential block at deep mid wicket like they keep promising. Plus you can add an extra one in Sydney that will be used.

Launceston might get a game as well, it's a better ground than anything in Canberra and Newcastle. Not sure what the f**k in Newcastle is capable of holding a world cup match.
Remember they need a range of capacities - can't imagine Kenya v Canada (for example) is going to draw much of a crowd.
Yeah but you don't want games played at bushleague venues. It is the World Cup after all. I can see a game or 2 played in Canberra but i'd be surprised if Newcastle gets a game unless they can provide a ground at least at Manuka level (which would probably only happen if they got a BBL team).

Judging by the number of Indians at the 2 T20 games, i'd expect all India's games to be played in or close to Sydney and Melbourne. Geelong might get one.

St James
Bronze

Post by St James »

Boba Fett wrote: Remember they need a range of capacities - can't imagine Kenya v Canada (for example) is going to draw much of a crowd.

Then give it to Geelong. Surely those sports mad Victorians would pack the joint.

St James.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

St James wrote:
Boba Fett wrote: Remember they need a range of capacities - can't imagine Kenya v Canada (for example) is going to draw much of a crowd.

Then give it to Geelong. Surely those sports mad Victorians would pack the joint.

St James.
But that's the thing about some of the regional grounds mentioned so far (e.g. Geelong and Gold Coast) - some of them have bigger capacities than the regular cricket grounds!

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Have to admit I will laugh if Perth ends up with Australia v Canada and Holland v Kenya because the WACA only holds 18,000 people. It's even possible that it might hold less than that if construction work on the apartments takes up more space.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

my bid is for SCG for the final....new members and corporate media facilities will be the ticket....MCG is old news..screw your capacity.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Newcastle has the No. 1 Sportsground, which has bugger all seating but a hill that could accomodate 15,000 with no trouble. The reason I suggested it over Launceston is that CA will probably push a game in bigger regional cities on the mainland rather than having a second venue in Tassie.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I can't see Launceston not getting a game, there will be plenty of overseas tourists who will enjoy going to cooler weather in Tassie during the summer.

I'd like to see Rushton Park bid for a game if Newcastle No 2 Sportsground is going to bid for a few games. There are more games to bid for with the extra games for the minor countries after the ICC caved in (which is good).

Perth due to capacity will get the shittest games I will suspect...

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I see Newcastle getting the nod. It only missed out in 1992 because of the earthquake which cracked the foundations of the main stand.

It's a good little ground actually. All you'd need would be some minor improvements for the press and you'd be away. They got nearly 10,000 up there for the last shield game they hosted, they'd flock in numbers for a world cup game.

Keep in mind as well, in 1999 grounds like New Road Worcester (5,000), County Grounds in Taunton, Hove and Northampton (6,000), The VRA Ground in Amsterdam (4,000), Castle Avenue in Dublin (3,500) and The Grange in Edinburgh (3,000) all got games allocated to them.

Apparently it's going to be a 50/50 split of games (ffs, should be 75/25) so there wil be a fair share of small venues such as Dunedin, Queenstown, Whangeri, Napier, etc in New Zealand, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use a few of ours as well. Gotta share the love.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Newcastle has hosted plenty of first class fixtures and even international tour matches (the sort that these days go to Manuka) in the past.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Announcement to come this morning, MCG to host final and SCG / Eden Park for Semis.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

MCG to host the final? Well that's come as a stunning surprise to absolutely nobody.

Shame one of the semis had to go to Eden Park though (I presume for political reasons). Adelaide Oval would have been better I think.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/fixtures

Highlights:

All regular test venues except Adelaide get Australia games.
Adelaide, Sydney Melbourne, Wellington get QFs
Sydney, Auckland get SFs
Melbourne get F
Canberra only Australian non-test venue to get games.
Australia / NZ game in Auckland

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Sucks to be Adelaide.

No change there then!

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Compromise is presumably Adelaide gets a QF so misses out on Australia game. Adelaide also gets India/Pakistan and an England game whereas Brisbane gets sweet FA other than Australia/Bangladesh. Even the bloody WACA has a better schedule.