Acer Arena

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
franky1974
Bronze

Acer Arena

Post by franky1974 »

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question but I am a newbie.

I was at the Sydney FC members night yesterday and the CEO mentioned that he had spoken to the sports minister and there is no chance of a boutique venue being built in the next 4 years(and probably for a lot longer).

That got me thinking about venues in Sydney and I have only been to ACER Arena a couple of times over the years but 17500 is a pretty good size. How big are the floor dimensions? Would it be possible to remove some seats and install a artifical pitch?

If this idea is completely stupid, what other venues would people suggest as the A-League games I enjoyed most on Fox Sports last year were at AAMI Park and Hindmarsh and I am sure it is because the crowd is right on top of the action. Unfortunately I can never see that sort of atmosphere being recreated at the SFS even if Sydney could regularly attract 15000-20000.

I been to Sydney FC games at Parramatta but the crowds have never been big enough to guage if it would have a great atmosphere or not.

Boba Fett
Silver

Re: Acer Arena

Post by Boba Fett »

Firstly - welcome!
franky1974 wrote: That got me thinking about venues in Sydney and I have only been to ACER Arena a couple of times over the years but 17500 is a pretty good size. How big are the floor dimensions? Would it be possible to remove some seats and install a artifical pitch?
No, not big enough.
franky1974 wrote: If this idea is completely stupid, what other venues would people suggest as the A-League games
A few options have been discussed - Leichhardt Oval, Parramatta Stadium, Toyota Park and WIN Jubilee have all been raised. Each have their own pros and cons.

I can't see Sydney FC moving from the SFS though.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Acer's not even close.

In a city with loads of NRL rugby league venues, whose scale is perfect for the A League, there is no need to build a new venue. When there is an existing oversupply of stadiums, only the AFL gets that sort of privilege in NSW.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Acer Arena becomes Allphones Arena for the next five years.

http://www.acerarena.com.au/Latest_News ... Arena.aspx

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

"Understandably, the naming rights for the world’s number two entertainment venue has attracted interest from many high-profile parties. We decided to partner with Allphones as they were best able to demonstrate how their brand and the Arena could interconnect to enhance the overall experience for the clients of Allphones and the one million-plus patrons who visit the Arena every year."

Translation: Allphones offered us the most money.

add0001
Bronze

Post by add0001 »

I love this arena now known as "Allphones Arena" it is the bomb.