Suncorp Stadium May Revise Event Limit

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Suncorp Stadium May Revise Event Limit

Post by Jeffles »

I didn't know such a limit existed. It's not the number of total events, it's that they can only have up to 24 events that draw 25,000 people or more. The success of the Roar, Reds and rep football of all three rectangular codes means that they may fulfil their quota before the NRL finals.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/b ... 1hkla.html

It's staggering to think such a quota exists for the state's major facility. It's also doubtful that such a quota would remain, especially if Brisbane get a second NRL team.

Timbo
Silver

Re: Suncorp Stadium May Revise Event Limit

Post by Timbo »

Suncorp is pretty well blocked in by residential area though.

Brisbane needs a second facility, or more precisely, the Queensland government needs to update the facilities and transport links to Ballymore.

It's current capacity of 25,000 odd would be ideal for the Bombers (who came up with that name :s) for the first 10 odd years of their existence, and there is plenty of scope to increase it's capacity to 30,000+.

Seems a decent solution to me.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

There's no way the second Brisband NRL team (assuming the bid even gets up) will play out of Ballymore. They are a deadset lock to play at Suncorp.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It would be cheaper and more politcally expedient to raise the cap.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Timbo wrote:Suncorp is pretty well blocked in by residential area though.

Brisbane needs a second facility, or more precisely, the Queensland government needs to update the facilities and transport links to Ballymore.

It's current capacity of 25,000 odd would be ideal for the Bombers (who came up with that name :s) for the first 10 odd years of their existence, and there is plenty of scope to increase it's capacity to 30,000+.

Seems a decent solution to me.
Ballymore has even more residential problems than Suncorp, and no professional sporting team wants to play there. It's not the answer.

The local residents around Suncorp need to shut up. They've all moved into the area since the ground has been used. Don't move next door to a stadium and then complain when the stadium actually gets used. Reminds me of people who buy cheap property under a flightpath and then whinge about aircraft noise.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

This is the biggest storm in a teacup in history. The rule was made up when it reopened and everyone thought the Reds would stay at Ballymore and well the Roar didn't even exist and football was in a massive hole really. But that's not my point, I do believe that it might have been the government themselves who actually bought the point up, and then will be seen to be fixing it! Great work guys.
Seriously like the government would knee cap themselves like that. Apparently tourists only come to Brisbane for events, and the best events we are doing is Football at Suncorp..... Seriously retarded that this was even a news story.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

beastjim wrote:This is the biggest storm in a teacup in history. The rule was made up when it reopened and everyone thought the Reds would stay at Ballymore and well the Roar didn't even exist and football was in a massive hole really. But that's not my point, I do believe that it might have been the government themselves who actually bought the point up, and then will be seen to be fixing it! Great work guys.
Seriously like the government would knee cap themselves like that. Apparently tourists only come to Brisbane for events, and the best events we are doing is Football at Suncorp..... Seriously retarded that this was even a news story.
Have there been any complaints about this from residents?
Doesn't appear that way from the articles

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Crowd against Cronulla on Friday night was under 25,000
What is the count up to?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Count should be around 21 events over 25,000. Socceroos didn't quite make it, however still doesn't matter, they raised the magical limit to 35,000 anyways. So that should only be 11 events. During the socceroos game though, the 1 millionth spectator for the year went through the gates at Suncorp.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The stupid thing about this limit is that a game is organised around an expected crowd of 25,000 (traffic diversions, etc) but if the actual crowd could be slightly under 25,000, it does not count in the limit. I thought the point of the limit was to minimise interruptions to local residents. It also punishes success.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Jeffles wrote:The stupid thing about this limit is that a game is organised around an expected crowd of 25,000 (traffic diversions, etc) but if the actual crowd could be slightly under 25,000, it does not count in the limit. I thought the point of the limit was to minimise interruptions to local residents. It also punishes success.
Of course it's stupid. It's the Government after all.

The logic in building a 50k capacity stadium and then putting a cap on the number of times that stadium can be used at its capacity based on a nebulous crowd figure that changes according to what is deemed politically expedient at any one time - no other entity apart from the Government would come up with thinking like that.