MCG-FIFA World Cup Bid 2018/2022

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

MCG-FIFA World Cup Bid 2018/2022

Post by Dan »

Dan
Silver

Re: MCG-FIFA World Cup Bid 2018/2022

Post by Dan »

Nice to see the Vic Government come to the party and propose the MCG as Melbournes venue!...They could at least spend some $$$ and do something with it!

Bunagaya
Bronze

Post by Bunagaya »

Agreed. Melbourne don't deserve the final if the Vic government aren't prepared to spend some cash. As it is they'll be spending the least of all states/territories and getting at least the opening game, the final or a semi final. Not really fair is it...

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

MCG is the jewel of Cup bid

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/m ... -v4oi.html

The Jewel??? :)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Ok, nows time to declare war on ALF. Every single Victorian has to caimpaign for some development to occur for the World Cup FFS.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

The Australian gives a different view of how Melbourne has fared in our Bid. As little as 8 games for Victoria? I hope they are wrong in that. I wouldn't be surprised if the sop for Melbourne is to host the FIFA Congress which occurs immediately before the Cup starts and is often the location for the International Media Centre.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5866997228

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

gyfox wrote:The Australian gives a different view of how Melbourne has fared in our Bid. As little as 8 games for Victoria? I hope they are wrong in that. I wouldn't be surprised if the sop for Melbourne is to host the FIFA Congress which occurs immediately before the Cup starts and is often the location for the International Media Centre.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5866997228
I hope Melbourne gets a few games as possible. I love Melbourne, have family there and visit often, but the way their government and media has treated the World Cup bid.. they don't deserve it.

I expect the IMC would be at Homebush?

jowel
Bronze

Post by jowel »

If there was ever going to be a reason that the MCG should be made rectangular, then the FIFA World Cup is indeed the reason.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Egan wrote:LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Ok, nows time to declare war on ALF. Every single Victorian has to caimpaign for some development to occur for the World Cup FFS.
Why are we declaring war on Alf? What has he done wrong?

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

As a Sth Australian I take great delight in sayingf**k Melbourne and Victoria...between ALF and the ALF loving State government in Spring St, the FFA's bid has been completely white-anted from the very start. IF we were to get the tourney in 2022(I reckon Pomgolia is a dead cert for 2018) then screw Melb & victoria. If they're lucky they'll get the opener(like in the Sydney games) and the Stade de Oz, which is configurable for rectangle sports and will have a roof by then should get the Final and of course Sydney will get the IMC, As much as I het their arrogance, Sydney is our only "International City" ie when a lot of people thing Australia they automatically think Sydney...(fools - but that is the way it is:( I still think ALF is getting waay too much for their post WC legacy, 6 of 12 stadiums in the bid-book involve upgrading ovals for future ALF usage(and the cheeky f*ckers want compensation as well!! :twisted: , only Blacktown and perhaps Townsville (if Fury survive long-term leave any sort of legacy for the A-League in terms of bricks and mortar, the real legacy will hopeful be the hearts & minds won over by hosting the world largest Sporting event/party opening previously shut eyes to the beauty of the world game! (fingers crossed)

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

At risk of being labelled "parochial", this just doesn't make sense.

Why exactly do we not deserve a fair go?

Because the major winter sport in Victoria (just as in SA or WA) happens to be played on a large oval, and not on a standardised rectangular field of play? No living Australian chose determined the field size of Aussie Rules, so why are you condemning Victorians? People seem to forget that the NRL and ARU both benefit from our WC bid too, and also want compo.
Because the AFL has legal contracts that need to be settled for a World Cup to take place?
Or maybe because Melbourne already has up-to-date stadia, hence requiring less development?

In May 2005 (Sources have since been removed off the net), Spring st was the first government to propose a World Cup in Australia, before Germany (Destiny) even happened.
They provided 5 viable options as WC venues, more than the SA, WA and ACT governments combined, but alas they nonetheless settled on the MCG because it is so important to us...even despite we're miles away from the action.
The FFA doesn't provide adequate funding for the Victorian football, requiring the state body to pester people in shopping centres for donations.
Even during the last World Cup, there were over 20,000 Victorians packed into Federation Square (and tens of thousands more filling the inner-city pubs and bars) to watch each of Australia's matches. After Italy, we cried together.

I just don't understand this negativity, this is supposed to be Australia's united bid.

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

deejaybee wrote:At risk of being labelled "parochial", this just doesn't make sense.

Why exactly do we not deserve a fair go?

Because the major winter sport in Victoria (just as in SA or WA) happens to be played on a large oval, and not on a standardised rectangular field of play? No living Australian chose determined the field size of Aussie Rules, so why are you condemning Victorians? People seem to forget that the NRL and ARU both benefit from our WC bid too, and also want compo.
Because the AFL has legal contracts that need to be settled for a World Cup to take place?
Or maybe because Melbourne already has up-to-date stadia, hence requiring less development?

In May 2005 (Sources have since been removed off the net), Spring st was the first government to propose a World Cup in Australia, before Germany (Destiny) even happened.
They provided 5 viable options as WC venues, more than the SA, WA and ACT governments combined, but alas they nonetheless settled on the MCG because it is so important to us...even despite we're miles away from the action.
The FFA doesn't provide adequate funding for the Victorian football, requiring the state body to pester people in shopping centres for donations.
Even during the last World Cup, there were over 20,000 Victorians packed into Federation Square (and tens of thousands more filling the inner-city pubs and bars) to watch each of Australia's matches. After Italy, we cried together.

I just don't understand this negativity, this is supposed to be Australia's united bid.
Agree with this - Sydney/Brisbane people acting a bit high and mighty because they have rectangular stadiums - but that's nothing to do with them liking football more, only rugby. Just lucky for them that Rugby happens to be played on a similar sized pitch to football.

Still - I don't like the way it was FFA & Federal Government Vs the AFL, and the State Government never got involved (obviously don't want to get the AFL offside)

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Oh they aren't without criticism, but in the whole they've been pretty good. You do have to remember that those contracts the AFL has are with the Vic Gov't...

On another note, if we win the bid, i'm going to invest in a binocular manufacturing company!

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

For the record, my proposed MCG fixup:

http://mattwintersfootballblog.blogspot ... d-mcg.html

Current Stadium:

Upgrade Great Southern stand, make the ground smaller and more oval at the same time:

MCG retractable seating:
AFL Mode:

Stands Pivot in:

Football Mode:

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

1. You have lost me deejaybee... are you saying Victoria put forward 5 viable WC venues? I can only see the two that got in the bid. Etihad would have been great but it was not Victoria's property to put into the bid and the owners decided against it.

2. Get in line for any funding from the FFA. Victoria is not alone there. You want to read some of the stuff that comes out of FootballNSW to see their view on it.

3. The pivoting stand proposal is good Matt. I am unsure if the foundations of the existing stands would allow for the retrofitting of these though. Its a matter of whether the lower bowl is structurally separate from the tiered part of the stands. Hopefully someone had some engineers run through it. Another issue with pivoting or retractable stands is that by moving seating closer to the sidelines the rake of the stand increases to maintain sight lines. This results in fewer rows of seating fitting in the vertical space available if you are trying to retrofit them. My calcs showed a reduction in capacity of around 8,000 by doing this. This included the loss of seating at the pivot points. If morphing shape is designed into a new stadium you can adjust heights to minimise these losses but you can't jack up the stands when they are already built.

If it was structurally feasible this would provide a much better football venue but is the cost and the reduction in capacity worth it?