Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

do you believe in

unicorns
36%
tooth fairy
21%
santa clause
12%
Perth's new multi use stadium
30%

Total votes: 33

yob
Platinum

Re: Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Post by yob »

Yaaay paternity test paternity test

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Crowy, you said there would be an announcement in May! LOL

Did anyone watch the Dockers game on the weekend, the commentators were focusing in on the signs on the toilets at Subiaco Oval having security guards guarding them due to low water pressure issues.

The ground is and has been falling apart, doesn't prompt any urgency at all.

Benchwarmer
Bronze

Post by Benchwarmer »

Burswood sports stadium gets Government nod

PLANS to build Perth's long-awaited sports stadium at Burswood have been given the nod of approval from State Cabinet.

Ministers have backed a plan to build the 60,000-seat venue near the State Tennis Centre in Burswood - the preferred venue first revealed by The Sunday Times in January.

Perthnow understands the cost of building the stadium has been estimated by the Government at under $1 billion.

But it is yet to outline the costs involved with upgrading transport - including a ferry terminal, footbridge and train station - to link to the Burswood Peninsula.

Geotechnical testing is also yet to be done at the site, which is expected to throw up engineering problems because it was once used as a rubbish tip.

Despite predictions that the cost will be kept well below $1 billion, a government-commissioned taskforce has put the total cost at $1.147 billion.

The taskforce, headed by former under-treasurer John Langoulant and including other prominent people such as Sport and Recreation Department director-general Ron Alexander rated Kitchener Park, also listed Burswood as the third-best location for the venue.

According to the taskforce's figures, a new stadium at East Perth would be cheaper than Burswood at $821 million, and Kitchener Park at $849 million.

West Coast want state-of-the-art Subiaco facility

West Coast will use the imminent stadium announcement to kickstart plans for an NFL-inspired multimillion dollar upgrade of its training facilities that would make its Subiaco base the envy of the rest of the AFL.

The Eagles' plans are set to include the long-awaited social club facility for fans, which West Coast also wants to build at Patersons Stadium.

The club will need approval from the WA Football Commission, and funding is yet to be finalised. The WAFC is understood to be keen to retain Patersons Stadium as a football ground in the long term.

Eagles chief operating officer Richard Godfrey and general manager of special projects and technology Digby Moullin went on a research trip to the US earlier this season, where they viewed cutting-edge training centres.

The pair visited several NFL training facilities, including those of the Dallas Cowboys and the Giants and Jets in New York.

West Coast's current facilities at Subiaco, built in 1999, have now been overtaken by some of the poorest clubs in the competition.

Eagles chief executive Nisbett said the Eagles now trailed other clubs in the area of sports science and it was imperative to build new premises that were world class.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6083462323

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Until a sod of earth is turned, I won't believe a thing.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ I'm with Jeffles...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 255815.htm

ABC report is most exciting. I am so glad the venue will have the potential to expand to 70,000 people...

AndrewM
Bronze

Post by AndrewM »

Ye of little faith..A Premier not delivering on his promises?? He's gonna build a railway to my place (in ellenbrook) just so I can get to the footy too!

AndrewM
Bronze

Post by AndrewM »

Of course the biggest question is 'Will it be 'World Class''?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

AndrewM wrote:Ye of little faith..A Premier not delivering on his promises?? He's gonna build a railway to my place (in ellenbrook) just so I can get to the footy too!
I have a feeling that the next election is going to be pretty spiteful.

Uranium Mining, Electricity Prices and that Ellenbrook Train Line could be what tips Barnett out of office...

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Latest polls are 57-43. That'll take some tipping.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

The taskforce has estimated the cost to be $1.147 billion dollars. So should we start a poll to predict what the ACTUAL cost will end up being?

And I don't understand the whole thing of building a 60,000 capacity stadium that has the potential to be upgraded to 70,000. Surely you decide what you want your capacity to be and then just build it?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Barnett's as popular as chocolate cake. He stands up to Canberra and his state is awash with cash. It will be hard to remove him.

Still, I've seen glaciers that move faster than the works on this stadium, so forgive me for my lukewarm response.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

What I am finding very interesting is that in todays paper they said Subiaco Oval would still be used for the WAFL.

We are going to have a venue that big for Eagles Headquarters and maybe Subiaco FC if they move back? But that's no certainty considering the investment Subi have made at Leederville Oval.

I am battling to see the sense of keeping Subiaco Oval. As the west said, so many details to come through and the end date of 2018 means I have no confidence.

The expansion to 70,000 would probably happen if Perth won the Olympics/Athletics World Championships.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Egan wrote:The expansion to 70,000 would probably happen if Perth won the Olympics/Athletics World Championships.
In other words, it's not going to happen.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

They can still use the playing area for a training HQ, like Hawthorn with Waverley but that new Subi needn't have as big a footprint as the current ground. Same deal with Football Park and the Crows once the Adelaide Oval development is complete.