Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

do you believe in

unicorns
36%
tooth fairy
21%
santa clause
12%
Perth's new multi use stadium
30%

Total votes: 33

Egan
Platinum

Re: Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Post by Egan »

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/slow- ... 1gqgi.html

Letters to the editor in the west today was hilarity. One person said that the whole Burswood penninsula was flooded during the big wet of 46, another reader said it should be spent on health and education...while another reader was glad that they were not going to fund Subi council in the form of parking fines anymore...

70% target of people going to events by public transport, at the moment at Subi it is 40%

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:One person said that the whole Burswood penninsula was flooded during the big wet of 46,
This can only really strengthen the case to bring back It's a Knockout! so i'm on board.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Sold. f**k the unicorns, I want It's A Knockout back.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

I notice in the pics there's a rectangular looking stadium off to the south of the BIG arena!...what does this new stadium deal mean for the Glory and nib Stadium? Obviously the papers in Perth are looking at things from a Dockers/Eagles POV...

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote:what does this new stadium deal mean for the Glory and nib Stadium?
I understand you have an unnatural fixation with football, but you do realise the Force are tenants at nib Stadium too? And actually get much bigger crowds than the Glory?

Be that as it may, this very out of date artists impression image doesn't mean anything. The jury is still out on whether they'll even get the oval stadium built, let alone thinking about a rectangular one...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I thought that artist's impression was based on an old plan from the Carpenter Government. The new venue's particulars aren't as pinned down.

I don't think this venue weakens the case for nib Stadium. Glory and the Farce are unlikely to move lock, stock and barrel to Burswood and any RL would stay at nib. The only matches they potentially lose are A-League and "super" Rugby Union finals. Given the way the teams have travelled, that's about one event every ten years!

mattwinter
Bronze

Post by mattwinter »

Boba Fett wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote:what does this new stadium deal mean for the Glory and nib Stadium?
I understand you have an unnatural fixation with football, but you do realise the Force are tenants at nib Stadium too? And actually get much bigger crowds than the Glory?
He's not allowed to decide what he does and doesn't take an interest in now? Adelaide has never been a rugby town, and just because we live in the same country as Sydney doesn't mean we have to show any interest in that sport.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... dium-site/

Cabinet division as well...

Liz Constable still doesn't want the venue lol.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

mattwinter wrote:
Boba Fett wrote:
He's not allowed to decide what he does and doesn't take an interest in now? Adelaide has never been a rugby town, and just because we live in the same country as Sydney doesn't mean we have to show any interest in that sport.
Cheers,
what I know about rugby could be written on the back of a stamp with a texta. I watch the RWC every 4(?) years and hope the Wallabies do well but that's about it. Growing up in Adelaide I didn't even realise that the Kangaroos and the Wallabies played different sports - it was never shown on TV so all rugby seemed to be the same thing when you're reading about it in the Advertiser anyway. Boba, there's a whole country out here beyond the Blue Mountains, we speak the same lingo except when it comes to sport it seems. Thus I try to limit my posts to what i know more about...in this case football. exhibiting an "unnatural fixation" living and breathing the world's most popular sport is unnatural how? in the words of a red-headed former fish n chipper, "please explain?"

Good on Perth for finally getting the horses moving on this. Will Egan ever be the same again? $10 says an AFL footy game gets played in Perth's new Stadium before 'new'Adelaide Oval(rd24 this year doesn't count - because the re-development work hasn't started yet)

Piefan39
Bronze

Post by Piefan39 »

So are tenders out for the design of the new Perth footy stadium. Will Perth Oval (nib) remain or are there plans to build a new purpose built rectangular stadium in burswood as well, was mooted a couple of years ago.
Sydney have the SFS & SCG next door & Melbourne have MCG close to AAMI Park. Would make sense to have 2 stadiums serviced by the same railway line etc

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ quite a while until tenders are let.....master planning and brief writing to happen first......my prediction was only 2 months late in the grand scheme of Perth and stadiums......pretty close I reckon.....Egan I may give you a call when I'm westsieeeeeeed.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Jeffles wrote:I thought that artist's impression was based on an old plan from the Carpenter Government. The new venue's particulars aren't as pinned down.

I don't think this venue weakens the case for nib Stadium. Glory and the Farce are unlikely to move lock, stock and barrel to Burswood and any RL would stay at nib. The only matches they potentially lose are A-League and "super" Rugby Union finals. Given the way the teams have travelled, that's about one event every ten years!
There hasn't been any suggestion that the redevelopment at NIB won't go ahead. And TBH, it doesn't really change much there. Neither NIB tenant will want to move to Burswood, and in any case they'll probably have to sign a long term contract to stay at NIB before the redevelopment goes ahead.
The only soccer or rugby matches that could potentially be played there are Wallabies tests, big Socceroos games (i.e WCQs against high profile opposition) and possibly a grand final. Given we'd only be talking about 1-2 matches a year, i'd even be surprised if they built moveable seats into the design. Would seem to be a waste of money given it probably wouldn't attract 1 extra event to the venue. Wallabies games would be played there regardless, and I doubt the FFA would give any big WCQs to Perth irrespective of the stadium facilities on offer.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

NIB Stadium is only an issue because its council owned and councils and state governments go through civil wars over here.

Once they sort over the last of the complications of one of the most complicated redevelopment discussions in the history of Australian sport it will be ok.

Remember NIB was supposed to have a new grandstand before Skilled Park and AAMI Park were to be built. Crowy, will take you to a few WAFL games when you are over here...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:Once they sort over the last of the complications of one of the most complicated redevelopment discussions in the history of Australian sport
:wank: