Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

do you believe in

unicorns
36%
tooth fairy
21%
santa clause
12%
Perth's new multi use stadium
30%

Total votes: 33

Rob
Gold

Re: Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:The drop in seats are more about making the 60,000 seats look less sh*t, than the addition of 600 "prime" seats that can't see over the advertising moldings on the sidelines. It's offensive to be honest. This is an AFL stadium, with some token efforts to embrace other sports and co-opt any extra cash that would've been spent on other grounds. Don't bother with the tokenism, just be AFL loud and proud and get on with it.
Offensive? That offends you?

Harden the f**k up.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob wrote:
yob wrote:The drop in seats are more about making the 60,000 seats look less sh*t, than the addition of 600 "prime" seats that can't see over the advertising moldings on the sidelines. It's offensive to be honest. This is an AFL stadium, with some token efforts to embrace other sports and co-opt any extra cash that would've been spent on other grounds. Don't bother with the tokenism, just be AFL loud and proud and get on with it.

Harden the f**k up.
Have we got a case of the saint kildas today? :ballchain:

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:
Rob wrote:

Harden the f**k up.
Have we got a case of the saint kildas today? :ballchain:
Now that was f***ing offensive.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Wait till the drawings come out. We haven't seen any for yonks regarding to how the drop in seats will look since we had them come out during the major stadia taskforce (wow that seems a long time ago)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Wait, what the fark?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-08/c ... m-underway

Construction has what?!

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

I'm pleased to see appropriate use of the greatest SI unit: the Olympic swimming pool. In this case, 51 Olympic swimming pools of concrete.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Ah, there we go - our old friend "world class" being used again...

Seriously, is there any construction project in this country that DOESN'T use this phrase?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

dibo wrote:I'm pleased to see appropriate use of the greatest SI unit: the Olympic swimming pool. In this case, 51 Olympic swimming pools of concrete.
I'm expecting the times of our elite swimmers to go backwards. It'll be slow going swimming through set concrete.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I am still in shock that construction has started.

I have no coping mechanism for this. The world's sh*t just changed.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

I dunno, I was thinking about it as I was riding my unicorn to work this morning and came to the conclusion that once the Adelaide Oval got their sh*t moving and we saw AFL crowds of 50k+ right in the city it was surely only a matter of time.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnkAHl ... e=youtu.be

Half the billion is probably on landscaping!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

yob wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnkAHl ... e=youtu.be

Half the billion is probably on landscaping!
Stadium is $700 million
Landscaping is $300 million.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Has anyone got any cross sections of the new stadium? There are numpties on 442 that still don't understand that the quality of viewing at a large format oval is third rate compared to a stadium designed around the dimensions of a football pitch and I want to superimpose the outline of the seating bowl of an equivalent 60k capacity football stadium over it to show the difference.

If Crow is still around I remember a comment that I think that you made about the bump in seats being restricted view because of the advertising boards around a football pitch. Was this all the seats or just some of them?

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

gyfox wrote:Has anyone got any cross sections of the new stadium? There are numpties on 442 that still don't understand that the quality of viewing at a large format oval is third rate compared to a stadium designed around the dimensions of a football pitch and I want to superimpose the outline of the seating bowl of an equivalent 60k capacity football stadium over it to show the difference.

If Crow is still around I remember a comment that I think that you made about the bump in seats being restricted view because of the advertising boards around a football pitch. Was this all the seats or just some of them?
Some Melbournian on there said that the view from the permanent 2nd and 3rd level sidelines at Ethihad was better then at Homebush. :lol:

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Contract has been let for the stadium railway station.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 7270110342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;