Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

do you believe in

unicorns
36%
tooth fairy
21%
santa clause
12%
Perth's new multi use stadium
30%

Total votes: 33

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Soaks wrote:
Tancred wrote:
gyfox wrote:
I can't help thinking that adding this $50M+ to the $160M for the planned ME Bank Stadium upgrade would go a long way to securing a purpose built rectangular stadium for Perth without the compromises that everyone has to make in a multi purpose designed venue.
QFT
Pardon my ignorance fellas,QFT?
I think it means Quite True

Soaks
Bronze

Post by Soaks »

:)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

gyfox wrote:
Egan wrote:If the FFA are even considering this, it shows the huge problems it is having in constructing a credible World Cup venue in Perth...

I don't think you are going to see any commitments in place that compromise the planned upgrade.

The design of the rectangular stadium, is apparently a state facility. This may not have the capabilities to be turned into a World Cup facility.

The unicorns are flying...
With what has been published about the ME Bank upgrade so far it won't be able to be upgraded for the World Cup. LIt is on the wrong site for starters,
Thus why I have lost interest in this World Cup bid.

Subiaco Oval - World Cup Stadium

Our bid is down the toilet just there, and the bid is littered with even more problems than just Perth :lol:

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

When you google QFT, you get Quoted For Truth.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:
Thus why I have lost interest in this World Cup bid.

Subiaco Oval - World Cup Stadium

Our bid is down the toilet just there, and the bid is littered with even more problems than just Perth :lol:
I would think that if we put in a bid without including Perth and showed them in the bid book what the WA Government were offering it would be a positive as far as the FIFA Committee are concerned. In saying that I am not saying we would win the bid but including Perth with a non FIFA compliant venue would ensure that we would lose the bid.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

beastjim wrote:When you google QFT, you get Quoted For Truth.
Is that the Australian version of Google?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

gyfox wrote:
beastjim wrote:When you google QFT, you get Quoted For Truth.
Is that the Australian version of Google?
Yes. But some further research does suggest it could mean: Quit F&*#ing Trying/Talking

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... eap-arena/

Premier punts for cheap arena
ROBERT TAYLOR STATE POLITICAL EDITOR, The West Australian December 10, 2009, 2:25 am

Colin Barnett was under attack from all sides yesterday after declaring the Government would progressively rebuild Subiaco Oval rather than produce a new stadium.

He said WA could not afford a new stadium but needed to have an arena ready if Australia won its bid for the 2018 or 2022 soccer World Cup.

"The previous government promoted the idea of building an entirely new stadium on a new site, (for) over $1 billion," Mr Barnett said.

"Western Australia just simply can't afford that ... no State can afford that. What we might be able to afford is to progressively rebuild a new stadium on the Subiaco site."

He said WA was committed to having a "FIFA compliant stadium" as part of Australia's bid for the World Cup, which would mean rebuilding Subiaco to seat 50,000 to 60,000 fans.

But the man who headed the previous government's stadium task force, former State under-treasurer John Langoulant, said the Premier was just plain wrong and had been "under-briefed" about the cost of a new stadium and what could be achieved with a rebuilt Subiaco.

He said proponents of rebuilding Subiaco had never solved the problem of realignment and buying properties on Roberts Road to the south.

"It clearly is cheaper to build a new stadium because you avoid all the difficulties of Roberts Road," Mr Langoulant said. "The plans I've seen for a progressive rebuild of Subiaco don't even get close to dealing with that."

The task force recommended a new stadium at Kitchener Park to the north costed at $670 million, not the $1 billion Mr Barnett claimed.

"You won't find $1 billion in the task force report," he said. "That figure came about because Alan Carpenter decided that rather than build it now he'd build it in 2016." The WA Football Commission is expected to present a plan in the new year to rebuild Subiaco Oval.

Chief executive Wayne Bradshaw said Mr Barnett had a consistent view on the issue and the WAFC was confident the upgrade would go ahead.

"Our understanding is that it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when and what. We are going to keep trying to bring forward the when," he said.

But Mr Langoulant said the WAFC proposal would produce a lopsided, one-dimensional stadium.

"It's got all the crowd on the northern side of the stand, it doesn't go close to revealing what the final cost will be, it doesn't provide for moveable seats to make it truly a multi-purpose stadium and yet it is represented as having all those things," he said.

Shadow sport minister Ken Travers said Mr Barnett did not have the backing of detailed research or planning for his preferred position.

Labor used an expert panel to explore the best option and it decided on a new stadium. If this was the cheapest long-term option, why not do that, Mr Travers said.

A spokesman for Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron seemed to contradict Mr Barnett, saying a new stadium had not been ruled in or out. Mr Waldron was still considering all options from all stakeholders.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Muppets :roll:

Egan
Platinum

Re: Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Post by Egan »

MES doesn't look too bad when full...

The atmosphere seems sh*t though...

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

No roof's. Dairy Farmers Stadium has no atmosphere because all the noise escapes upwards. It's what makes Suncorp and Skilled good places for atmosphere because the roofs trap sound into the stadium.

AndrewM
Bronze

Post by AndrewM »

I have to say that that was one thing I noticed about last night at the Brumbies vs Force game at MES - it sounded quiet - or maybe it was just because the Force played terribly :( and the Brumbies played better.

From my seat in the Eastern stand (ee10) I found the lights were a bit annoying but otherwise the view was excellent. It looked around 85-90% full to me

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yeah I saw a few highlights and those two new light towers they've erected look quite low, which I imagine would be very annoying from all three sides bar the western side. I know it's just temporary, but remember we are in Perth so MES may not actually get the new eastern grandstand for many years, so surely they could have removed the existing 'Glory' temporary stand and replaced it with a new larger one rather than blonking the extra stand on top of it. It looks rubbish!

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

garbage venues is what Perth does well.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

cam wrote:Yeah I saw a few highlights and those two new light towers they've erected look quite low, which I imagine would be very annoying from all three sides bar the western side. I know it's just temporary, but remember we are in Perth so MES may not actually get the new eastern grandstand for many years, so surely they could have removed the existing 'Glory' temporary stand and replaced it with a new larger one rather than blonking the extra stand on top of it. It looks rubbish!
We are in Perth

Do you think the Government was going to give them much money?

Nope

$3 million to add another video screen and add to the lego set. The Corporate Temporary stand on the grass hill just shows how diabolical the situation is. If I had time this week I would do an interview because I've heard the medical facilities are diabolical...that you can not actually do any treatment at the venue. The only solution is to get an ambulance to the hospital...

I was being told 'absolutely sub-standard...absolutely disgraceful...non existant" about the situation at ME Bank Stadium in regards to the medical facilities.

I was also told by a friend of mine who has a seat in the tier about the Glory temporary stand, that the platforms bounce and the seating is absolutely shizenhausen. A disgrace

Get the NSW/QLD/VIC Stadia Experts to come in, knuckle a few heads together and actually sit them down. Or just deliver the stadium portfolio to www.austadiums.com, could have saved them hundreds of millions of dollars had they listened to us in 2001...