Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.

do you believe in

unicorns
36%
tooth fairy
21%
santa clause
12%
Perth's new multi use stadium
30%

Total votes: 33

chief
Bronze

Re: Perth's new stadium and unicorns

Post by chief »

I think Brisbane should just get another NRL team. It would be very popular too. Hell they could play at Ballymore, or Suncorp still. Even Ipswich.

Rockhampton certainly does not need a NRL team it has failure written all over it.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

If they were to spend that sort of money on the Sunny Coast, hell - less even - and build a Central Coast or Parramatta clone, or even a Kogarah clone, they could then take their three Queensland derby's to Brisbane and play them at Suncorp and play all the other clubs on the Sunny coast.

Brisbane is close enough that it'd work, it'd certainly help with corporates and would save on stadium funding.

I'm an advocate of improving transport links to Ballymore and any new Brisbane club being based there for the first 5-10 years of existence. Help to differentiate it from the Broncos.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Timbo wrote:If they were to spend that sort of money on the Sunny Coast, hell - less even - and build a Central Coast or Parramatta clone, or even a Kogarah clone, they could then take their three Queensland derby's to Brisbane and play them at Suncorp and play all the other clubs on the Sunny coast.

Brisbane is close enough that it'd work, it'd certainly help with corporates and would save on stadium funding.

I'm an advocate of improving transport links to Ballymore and any new Brisbane club being based there for the first 5-10 years of existence. Help to differentiate it from the Broncos.
Hopefully you mean a Central Coast or Parramatta clone without the walkway at the front of the top tier.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I meant a 20-25,000 seater stadium built on a budget.

budge27
Bronze

Post by budge27 »

I see Premier Barnett was on the news tonite saying that the new stadium is back on the agenda as WA can now afford it! He discussed the options - either Subi or an alternative site. Nice to see the Major Stadia Taskforce report came in handy which said Subi was the best option.

But as this thread states - i'm still backing that i'll see a unicorn first!!

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

budge27 wrote:I see Premier Barnett was on the news tonite saying that the new stadium is back on the agenda as WA can now afford it! He discussed the options - either Subi or an alternative site. Nice to see the Major Stadia Taskforce report came in handy which said Subi was the best option.

+juan on the unicorn...any pics or news on the nib stadium upgrade?? (for Force and Glory and of course the WARL)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

budge27 wrote:I see Premier Barnett was on the news tonite saying that the new stadium is back on the agenda as WA can now afford it! He discussed the options - either Subi or an alternative site. Nice to see the Major Stadia Taskforce report came in handy which said Subi was the best option.

I'm glad he has gone back on his previous commitment to rebuild Subiaco Oval. He had some sense to realise he was wrong and that the whole site was not appropriate...

Thankfully the media and others were quick to point out that the state would rather wait forever than be stuck with a bigger mess by doing the cheapskate option...

The costs are cheaper to build on a new site, rather than Subiaco Oval. The biggest problems Barnett will have will be Subiaco NIMBYS.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the crow wrote:Image

:lol:

Nobody here is confident that it will be built, despite what anyone says. :lol: "If it ever gets built" is constantly used in the west at the moment.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well we were right to be sceptical about anything happening of note in February :lol:

Apparently we are going to do more talking and 'working' things out, which will commence in February :lol:

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/ ... 18igr.html

The unicorns are flying...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp ... -stadiums/

Well if they needed to go on study tours to research more about stadiums, what have they been doing for the last ten years?

smitty
Bronze

Post by smitty »

christ, Paterson's Stadium..such a horrible name.
If Stadium WA goes ahead (one can dream), what are the chances that Subiaco will be retained as a venue? Could it be scaled back a little bit and used for the State League? It actually looks like a ground with a decent atmosphere.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I like the idea of a 110,000 stadium somewhere in Australia.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

That's a lot of stadiums.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

smitty wrote:christ, Paterson's Stadium..such a horrible name.
If Stadium WA goes ahead (one can dream), what are the chances that Subiaco will be retained as a venue? Could it be scaled back a little bit and used for the State League? It actually looks like a ground with a decent atmosphere.
Nah. Bulldoze the fucker. The land is expensive, if flogged off you could pay for a big chunk of a new stadium. Assuming it's in another location.

It's also ironic that the traditional tenant of the ground - Subiaco - has probably the lowest supporter base of all WAFL clubs.