Telstra Stadium to become ANZ Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
cam
Gold

Telstra Stadium to become ANZ Stadium

Post by cam »

Exclusive by Josh Massoud - Daily Telegraph wrote:TELSTRA Stadium will today announce it is changing its name to ANZ Stadium as part of a record $31m naming rights deal.

The Daily Telegraph understands that stadium CEO Ken Edwards will fomallly annoucne the 7 year agreeement, worth $4.5m annually, at a press conference this morning.

The ANZ will replace Telstra as naming rights sponsor on Jan 1, 2008.

The new deal far exceeds any other of its kind in the history of Australian stadia.

The Daily Telegraph also understands that a rival bank and an airline were in contention, however ANZ stepped up with the cash when it became apparent that there was competition for the rights.

The stadium, at Homebush, was built for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

steeden
Bronze

Post by steeden »

why? why? why? why? why?

ANZ Stadium was and always will be the former QEII and current QSAC. surely they couldve gone with a different varient of stadium. maybe not park.. but something along those lines. this is just going to cause confusion. I cant speak about the southern states but at up here in Brisbane you say ANZ Stadium and everyone knows who what talking about. Even last year when U2 came to town they were advertising it as "at the venue formerly known as ANZ Stadium"

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yes it's unfortunate, but that's the way things are in this corporate world we live in today. $$$ rule. At least I know the MCG will always be called the MCG.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

steeden wrote:why? why? why? why? why?
$31Million...thats why!

Well done to the Stadium Australia Group and I guess we all here knew this was happening...now we wait for Telstra Dome...

As for the actual name...who cares if a stadium changes its name from Telstra to ANZ.....McDonalds to KFC...Westpac to Commonwealth......Give it a couple of years and you get used to it..

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Seeing the name Josh Massoud at the top turned me off reading the rest of the heading article.

But as an aside, the amount of people that will confuse this with the current QSAC will be plentiful.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Why? Why? Why? Why?

Yes, as already said, its only the money talking of course.

Corporate names will always come and go - they won't last forever, but only while the $$$$ are paid (e.g. remember Telstra Dome was once dubbed 'Colonial Stadium'). Which is why I use the proper name for a stadium .... unless I don't know its proper name. As time goes by, and corporate stadium titles come and go, and even swap stadiums (such as this deal) its much less confusing to not use these dubbed (and inproper) $$$$ names in the first place here.

Thank God for the MCG.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

sandyhill wrote:Why? Why? Why? Why?

Thank God for the MCG.
The SCG,GABBA and Adelaide Oval will probably never change either..so.you might as well thank them while your at it...

Why the fuss..Since when did people get so attached to the Telstra name anyway???

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

So its still Stadium Australia to me.... like SFS

or was it Sydney olympic stadium or Telstra or ANZ...i cant remember :?

i thought Commonwealth bank had a better financial year

Chuq
Bronze

Post by Chuq »

Dan wrote:

Thank God for the MCG.
The SCG,GABBA and Adelaide Oval will probably never change either..so.you might as well thank them while your at it...

Why the fuss..Since when did people get so attached to the Telstra name anyway???
If you call it Stadium Australia, it confused people, (normal people.. not us :) ) especially when SFS was known as Aussie Stadium.

About the cricket venues, I don't know if that is some Cricket Australia thing that corporate names not be used? Don't know...

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Dan wrote:
sandyhill wrote:... Thank God for the MCG.
Good point. I'll include them all in my prayers of thanksgiving!

As for Stadia de'Oz/Telstra/ANZ whatever .. I think I'll just stick with 'Homebush'.

Hass
Bronze

Post by Hass »

Well, the name is apt.

Both the old and the new ANZ Stadium provide less than perfect views for rectangular sports.

Surely they'll have to call it ANZ "something else" a la Skilled Stadium/Skilled Park and Telstra Stadium/Telstra Dome.

ANZ Sportsground perhaps?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Isn't ANZ Bank Telstra Stadium's biggest creditor? If so, this helps lower the debt and may not mean any real cash.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Dan wrote:

Thank God for the MCG.

I see your point but try to imagine if Wembley changed it's name every 4-5 years. The money through naming rights is always handy but the problem with that is the venue will always struggle to hold an identity, especially internationally. It might be a non issue for some but I believe that any stadium that can afford to be known by one name has something special.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I don't care what they name it as long as the Kangaroos get relocated there

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

yob wrote:I don't care what they name it as long as the Kangaroos get relocated there
kanga whos?

f**k off

not in this state