Telstra Stadium to become ANZ Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
the crow
Gold

Re: Telstra Stadium to become ANZ Stadium

Post by the crow »

Yes and it would let Parramatta stadium off the hook as well...they may also do something with it! like make it an all rectangle 90k job so all cricket and AFL comes back to a 55k SCG.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

better add in the $3 mill that the AFL paid, then ;-)

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

the crow wrote:Yes and it would let Parramatta stadium off the hook as well...they may also do something with it! like make it an all rectangle 90k job so all cricket and AFL comes back to a 55k SCG.
I've got the horn.

walhawk
Bronze

Post by walhawk »

Making ANZ rectangular (whatever the capacity) would be the best result for all sports in Sydney.
Obviously 10 times better for soccer & NRL, and AFL is much better suited to SGC & Scoda.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Telegraph is reporting that $250m rectangularisation and roofing of ANZ will be announced today. This along with the upgrade to Parramatta Stadium which is also rumoured to be announced today would be a big boost to the stadium stock in Sydney.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 6672823616#

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Reads to me like it's just an unfunded master plan at this stage.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

gyfox wrote:Telegraph is reporting that $250m rectangularisation and roofing of ANZ will be announced today. This along with the upgrade to Parramatta Stadium which is also rumoured to be announced today would be a big boost to the stadium stock in Sydney.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 6672823616#
Looks a lot like the renders used during our ill-fated World Cup2022 bid. Anything that reduces the size of the paddock between touchline/goal-line and seating at ANZ would be a welcome improvement IMO. They would have an easier time convincing WSW to move one of their home Sydney derbies to ANZ if the stadium had a roof and punters were closer to the action...60 to 80 k for a domestic football game is not out of the realms of possibility in this scenario.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Much like the SCG master plan (re)launch a few weeks ago, this is nothing more than a bunch of pretty pictures until somebody coughs up the cash.

Which govt has a spare quarter of a billion dollars lying around to spend in upgrading a stadium?

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Boba Fett wrote:Much like the SCG master plan (re)launch a few weeks ago, this is nothing more than a bunch of pretty pictures until somebody coughs up the cash.

Which govt has a spare quarter of a billion dollars lying around to spend in upgrading a stadium?
SA did, but I doubt we'll be doing it again in the near future(or even in my lifetime-I'm 36)
Last edited by Adelaide_United_Red on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Yuck. Surely a permanent reconfigration into a rectangular stadium would be more cost effective?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

I actually don't mind it. If they *insist* on having it able to do the oval thin, then que sera sera.

The roof is a big deal (as it is for the SFS).

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

dibo wrote:I actually don't mind it. If they *insist* on having it able to do the oval thin, then que sera sera.

The roof is a big deal (as it is for the SFS).
I'm in the same boat. does ANZ stadium make *that* much money from Cricket/AFL? between the SOO, NRLGF, Socceroos (Sydney Derby?) etc, its not like a purely rectangular ground would be sitting idle. The roof would be great as people(like it or not *are* put-off attending events by inclement weather.

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

Love the roof

Not sure they can greatly modify the end stands without impacting on the current roof structure.

How many seats would be lost in rectangular configuration... up to 5k?

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

It wont happen because of the NWRL and WasteConnex projects in Sydney. Also the East-West link in Melbourne will drain federal funding for a long time.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

When I was at the Socceroos game the existing roof had s few leaks in it...fix those first.