Oki Jubilee Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Geoff Carr push for St George to merge with the Roosters in 1995/96 and the Daily Telegraph called them the Dragsters!

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

HMS Cheesemaker wrote:If you want to buy into an alternate conspiracy theory some Saints fans have noticed the old proposed merger moniker of the "Steel Dragons" pop up here and there. It's probably just a coincidence but it is quite odd.
no sh*t!

even though i'm a dragons fan, i don't mind the steel dragons name at all.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

dibo wrote:
HMS Cheesemaker wrote:If you want to buy into an alternate conspiracy theory some Saints fans have noticed the old proposed merger moniker of the "Steel Dragons" pop up here and there. It's probably just a coincidence but it is quite odd.
no sh*t!

rang the club, the woman i spoke to was quite surprised... she was saying she'd pass it on to the media folks. there'll be movement one way or another i'm sure.

Zakman
Bronze

Post by Zakman »

[quote="Jeffles"]Geoff Carr push for St George to merge with the Roosters in 1995/96 and the Daily Telegraph called them the Dragsters![/quote]

I remember another journalist refer to them as the "Charcoal Chickens"

steeden
Bronze

Post by steeden »

dibo wrote:
no sh*t!

steel dragons - i like it!

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Re: Oki Jubilee Stadium

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Dasher39 wrote:Well I've just returned from my shotgun trip up north for the Dragons-Storm game.

Was a fantastic night out standing with the other Storm fans singing all night and watching our side have a relatively comfortable win.

Big ups to the Dragons fans who threw bottles, cups etc at us as they walked out with 5 mins to go...showed real class!

Funniest thing I heard all night was when we were taunting the Dragons fans with a "Remember '99" chant, one bright spark turned around and said "Remember '06..what happened then"...umm we beat you in the Prelim you dickhead!! Has to be the worst retort I have ever heard!!

Managed to get my mug on TV a few times too.

Now onto Oki itself, I was actually really impressed. It's a nice little suburban ground and has a certain charm to it (perhaps that's because I'm used to the massive concrete monstrosities of the AFL). Didn't walk around too much, just walked in the gates and took up our position on the hill with the other Storm fans.

As for the crowd. About 9,100 was the official attendance. I know their side hasn't had the best start, but on a perfect night I thought 9,100 was pretty poor. I never want to hear anyone north of the border have a crack at the Storm's crowds again. In comparison, our crowds are pretty damn good.

Now for a couple of pics...

A nice friendly welcome!!

A sunbaked hill area

The main grandstand.

Just incase we forgot where we were!

Iz pretty good!!

Kick off!

A packed hill area during the game!

Was a fantastic trip, until the last few hours. Stopped off at Yass and left my wallet behind (which I didn't realise until our next stop, some 3hrs down the road). Got home and phoned the servo and the wallet hadn't been handed in and wasn't where I left it.

What scum of the earth steals a wallet? Sure take the money, I don't care about that, but at least hand the wallet back in. Absolute f***ing scum!!
Good effort.

The best Rugby League supporters are invariably also Football fans.

The crowd at Kogarah isn’t what it was pre-merger but I'm sure that will revive with time and the ground itsself just keeps getting better and better.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Spirit of Santos wrote:The crowd at Kogarah isn’t what it was pre-merger but I'm sure that will revive with time and the ground itsself just keeps getting better and better.
What does that mean? I recall some dire St George crowds in the early and mid 1990s.

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

I'm talking about the passion and tribalism not numbers.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Spirit of Santos wrote:I'm talking about the passion and tribalism not numbers.
Are you saying that diehard St George fans have turned away from the game because there are an extra nine red letters on their badge? What has deflated them? The years of success? The dominance in club culture? The swift acceptance of the merger from Cheesie?

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Is that an attempted piss take or are you actually asking me a question that you'd like answered?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Jeffles wrote:The swift acceptance of the merger from Cheesie?
:lol:

Bingo.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Holy Ghost wrote:Is that an attempted piss take or are you actually asking me a question that you'd like answered?
Come on mate! I find it really difficult to accept that St George fans have lost their passion and tribalism because of the merger. They have lost precious little compared to their Wollongong counterparts. Granted, home games at Kogarah are not as frequent as they once were but when they arrive, they are big events that celebrate all that is supposedly great about the red and whites.

If there has been a change in fans, and there may have been, I think it's because they have been softened by the plush settings provided and planned by Howard and Iemma. It could be that community standards nowadays do not tolerate drunken louts on the hill like they used to. It could be that there are fewer inner city games with decades old inner city rivalry.

I cannot see anything specifically, "St George," about the change in tribalism or passion. Then again, maybe the fans have finally accepted that their team will invariably fall short of everyone's expectations.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

I'm taking my camera tomorrow (if I remember) to take a few pictures before they begin the next stage of the redevelopment work. Any special requests?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Aim the lens towards the Manly supporters. I'll be the one waving.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Spirit of Santos wrote:The best Rugby League supporters are invariably also Football fans.
:wank:

Pretentious bullshit