Oki Jubilee Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

dibo wrote:
Jeffles wrote:Thanks for the photos. It's an excellent development for the ground. Shame it only hosts six events there.
fingers crossed that the sharks die/move, st george and illawarra de-merge so that kogarah and wollongong get 12 matches a year.
That would seem to be the opposite way that the NRL wants to head to be honest. They want less teams in NSW, Sydney Basin in particular, so if a team does go under like Cronulla, then they will be looking to replace it with a team from somewhere else. Perth, Central Coast, Wellington or even another South East Queensland team (Ipswich, Redcliffe, Sunshine Coast).

Kelly_7
Bronze

Post by Kelly_7 »

Cheesie beat me to it :lol:

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

beastjim wrote:
dibo wrote:
Jeffles wrote:Thanks for the photos. It's an excellent development for the ground. Shame it only hosts six events there.
fingers crossed that the sharks die/move, st george and illawarra de-merge so that kogarah and wollongong get 12 matches a year.
That would seem to be the opposite way that the NRL wants to head to be honest. They want less teams in NSW, Sydney Basin in particular, so if a team does go under like Cronulla, then they will be looking to replace it with a team from somewhere else. Perth, Central Coast, Wellington or even another South East Queensland team (Ipswich, Redcliffe, Sunshine Coast).
there wouldn't be any more games in the SE Sydney/south coast region than at present, while the two clubs there would actually have some potential to build up a loyal and dedicated 12 games a season base.

Illawarrior
Bronze

Post by Illawarrior »

dibo wrote:
beastjim wrote:
dibo wrote: fingers crossed that the sharks die/move, st george and illawarra de-merge so that kogarah and wollongong get 12 matches a year.
there wouldn't be any more games in the SE Sydney/south coast region than at present, while the two clubs there would actually have some potential to build up a loyal and dedicated 12 games a season base.
Whilst it's highly unlikely, stand alone Saints and Steelers (with Cronulla gone) would be much better for rugby league than the JV and Cronulla in.

The history of Saints, plus only one club in that area of Southern Sydney, with a full time team back in the Illawarra. Would form a much better rivalry too!

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Courtesy R2K, more pictures of Jubilee Oval:

http://www.r2k.info/gallery/WJO14022009.html

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

In the very best traditions of the St George DRLFC it appears that an absolute last minute decision has been made to renovate the Gate D entrance (i.e. the main entrance for the hill and therefore the most heavily used route into or out of the stadium).

http://r2k.info/gallery/22022009i.htm

This, apparently, grace the pages of Mockery yesterday... (thanks to R2K)
Jubilee given extra slab of cash

By MARIO CHRISTODOULOU
02/03/2009
ILLAWARRA MERCURY

ST George Illawarra's Jubilee Stadium has just received a $5 million
grant while WIN Stadium's dilapidated western grandstand faces
closure in five years for want of funds.

The $5 million NSW Government grant, released at the end of last
year, brings total state and federal funding for Jubilee Stadium to
more than $20 million since 2004.

The funds were initially promised under former NSW Premier Morris
Iemma but escaped the fate of other Iemma infrastructure projects
scrapped in the November 10 mini-budget.

While Jubilee receives cash injections, Wollongong's WIN Stadium is
suffering from concrete cancer and other issues which could result
in the closure of its 50-year-old western grandstand.

The poor state of the western grandstand will also be a factor in
negotiations between Dragons management and the Wollongong Sports
Ground Trust expected to begin early next year.

Supporters fear the Dragons may walk away from WIN Stadium
altogether if the Government doesn't commit to replacing or
upgrading the present western grandstand.

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust said Jubilee's
latest $5 million was not for additional works but for the final
stage in an existing upgrade.

"Some of the money is for problems with the existing facilities and
some problems with the concrete cancer," he said.

"The money allocated was a commitment of the former premier and was
part of our current plan for the southern grandstand extension - it
is not money for additional works."

The announcement undermines statements from Wollongong
representatives who have consistently argued that the Dragons should
play more games in Wollongong.

Minister for Transport and Minister for the Illawarra David Campbell
declined to comment yesterday but has said in the past that the
Dragons should commit to more games at WIN Stadium.

"The whole process (of attracting government funding) now will be
made easier if the Dragons committed to playing more games at the
site," he said.

Member for Wollongong Noreen Hay said she wanted to have a look at
the Kogarah announcement and said she would meet Mr Doust to discuss
the Dragons' commitment to Wollongong.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/

I'm completely confused by Doust's comments and have no idea what this money is being spent on.

Kelly_7
Bronze

Post by Kelly_7 »

Very interesting, i'm with you Cheesie don't really know what will be done with this money. I would like to see this money saved and try to raise more funds so work can start on extending the other side of the grandstand. Is there any chance of BIG BERMUDA BRUCE and his BILLIONS (try saying that really fast) paying for a new western grandstand? if he happens to get a new A League franchise that is

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Alderman R2K promises me that he'll be providing an update soon.

EDIT: Oh and Jubilee tickets are being sold on Ticketek now, which is an excellent development (asides from Ticketek's annoying order of sale for tickets).

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

R2K's article on where the $5 million will be spent:
[R2K-info] Jubilee's latest funding allocation

Jubilee's latest funding allocation will provide for the following components:

* Upgrade of turnstiles and associated works at Jubilee Avenue entrance

* Fit out and facade works that form a component of the "Stage 3" works;

* English Street electrical substation works;

* Installation of Water Storage Tanks that will utilise water from the newly implemented Beverley Park water reclamation plant

* Reconstruction of the retaining wall fronting Jubilee Avenue.

* Construction of English Street parking bays and park widening.

* Structural remediation works on the existing grandstand to meet current standards.
http://r2k.info/news/08032009.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And in the fading light of a Monday afternoon I made a wee trip out to Carlton to satisfy my Jubilee Oval needs...

Jubilee Oval grandstand, early March 2009.

Do you notice what's missing?

The Park Street view of the stand. I'm really impressed by this view. The facades on the third level (second from the top, ground level is not visible in this shot) are new since February.

The (north) Jubilee Avenue view of the stand. Very impressive.

Last minute works to the main entry (Gate D). New stairs/retaining wall installed. Sandy coloured bricks to match the rest of the ground to be used on the outside.

Upgrading the gate area. Additional ticket sale windows being installed.

Another view of the new steps. It doesn't appear that the new steps are any wider than their replacements, but it's hard to tell.

Back around to the back of the stand. You'll notice the two beams running across between the two existing steel structures, presumably to install further facades matching those installed on the third level. They only look substantial enough to support something of this kind. I would like to see a new Dragons logo here, but I don't know if that's the case.

Plenty of work left to go, less than three weeks to complete it in!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, some general observations. Uncompleted construction works aside, the ground is looking in great shape. I doubt everything will be completely finished by Round 3, but it certainly should be close enough, certainly good enough to host a game. The works really look well planned and executed. The extension integrates the existing parts of the grandstand and the entire thing fits well within the context of the ground and its surroundings. Getting the money to complete the northern side seems a bit unlikely to me, but it shouldn't take nearly as much money as these works have because all that would be needed is the grandstand structure. The expensive bits (elevator, corporate dining room, various buildings, etc) have been done and there are fewer complications (for instance the lighting tower is behind the Northern Terrace, not where the extension would go).

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cheers Cheesie

Great photos 8)

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Back around to the back of the stand. You'll notice the two beams running across between the two existing steel structures, presumably to install further facades matching those installed on the third level. They only look substantial enough to support something of this kind. I would like to see a new Dragons logo here, but I don't know if that's the case.
there is no head restraint so i would say it is either for a logo or an awning

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Looks like it's held together with blu-tac.

Sydney Cricket Ground 12
Bronze

Post by Sydney Cricket Ground 12 »

Amazing Photos

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Got my season tickets (finally).

I was hoping that I might jag some seats in the new stand but I ended up in the permanent-temporary NW Terrace, which is a good spot and probably means that if they ever build the north side extension I should get a seat.

EDIT: They're quite close to selling out all of the seating at Jubilee Oval for the Sharks game. I think that the only thing that will prevent a post-2003 ground record is rain on the day or construction delays.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I drove past today. The car was stopped at the lights on Princes hwy and Jubilee Ave and I had a good look. The new stand looks very striking as it sweeps across the corner of the ground.