31,000 for MES

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

here's a thought, why not talk about this in the waca thread.

and anyway just a different perspective, this development at the waca is a brilliant idea. what happens if there is a rugby or soccer event on at the super stadium and either the afl or cricket also have an event on, this way they will still have a venue even if it has a reduced capacity.

or if aus gets the soccer world cup and they decide to use the super stadium in perth, the waca would still be avaliable for the round field sports.

and also it looks like a brilliant design aswell.

basicly i want this built. and i think it will bare no effect on a super stadium.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:
Nines wrote:
Sydney has Olympic Stadium
Melbourne has the SCG
WA and SA have nothing that's the difference .

It's an idulgence . get over it .
Yet can Perth and Adelaide sustain a development of that magnitude?
If Sydney can, Perth can.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote: If Sydney can, Perth can.
Of course, but you can see how the logic petered out by comparing Perth and Adelaide to Melbourne and Sydney and the sort of venues they had and trying to say that Cricket held the influence on whether the Super Stadium was built or not.

But of course, I think we can sustain an 80,000 seat facility.

Will we get it?

Not in a blue moon.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Nines wrote:[quote="Egan
The State Government is not funding this latest indulgence and they are not depriving the state of a super stadium.

Common sense says build the biggest and best stadium possible .
Then you have a greater chance of attracting world class events , Commonwealth games even Olympic games .

.[/quote]

Perth holding the olympic games..... :lol:

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

the crow wrote:
Perth holding the olympic games..... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Who would march out last?

West Australia or Australia?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Perth holding the Olympics would make Athens building delays look like nothing.

Heck 5 years on and most of the stadiums of significance on the agenda are in Perth :lol:

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote: Yet can Perth and Adelaide sustain a development of that magnitude?
That's an argument that i would direct at the cricket proposal .

But when I quoted TS and MCG I was impying the class of the stadiums rather than the actual capacities . Having said that the capacity of TS is 80k and Perth and Adelaide could do a better job than sydney is doing at the moment in trying to fill it .

Capacity is one thing . Quality , siting and infrastructure are considerations .

Put it this way if the WAFC was at the WACA instead of Subiaco , we'd have have super stadium by now . We'd have have one shortly after the building of the 3 tier stand at Subiaco , because way back then , they thought they could fill a stadium with a 3 tier stand all round .

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Telstra stadium at sydney is never full except for the rare occasion ie grand finals or big concerts....which is a dpressing atmosphere

Im all for building a new monster at Burswood ...do it right or be doomed to put up with MES for ever. But you are quite right regarding capacity for building it at this stage..hey your in the same time zone as China..they'll be looking for things to build after their boom comes to a screaming halt after the olympics!....oh mining will take a kick to the nuts then too!

BTW,Perth would have better chance of holding Winter Olympics. unless the choppa theory is put into action..and it drifts to South Africa....we'll see how their world cup goes first.

supersouthfan
Bronze

Post by supersouthfan »

the crow Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nines wrote:
[quote="Egan
The State Government is not funding this latest indulgence and they are not depriving the state of a super stadium.

Common sense says build the biggest and best stadium possible .
Then you have a greater chance of attracting world class events , Commonwealth games even Olympic games .

Commonwealth games world class event

:wank:

Well the 100's of millions of $$$$$$$ the government spent for the commonwealth games was insufficent to ensure that MSAC was capable of holding the FINA World Championships :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bracks :wank: :wank:

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

the crow wrote: Telstra stadium at sydney is never full except for the rare occasion ie grand finals or big concerts.....
or Sydney Swans games .

:wink:

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

Nines wrote:
the crow wrote: Telstra stadium at sydney is never full except for the rare occasion ie grand finals or big concerts.....
or Sydney Swans games .

They've never filled it.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

paul wrote:
Nines wrote:
or Sydney Swans games .

They've never filled it.
72k+ against Richmond .

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Capacity is 78-80,000 in AFL mode.

They got 77,000 in a Preliminary Final in around 2003/4 between Sydney and Brisbane, do not know if it was an official sell out, somehow if I can recall, there was still tickets available.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:Capacity is 78-80,000 in AFL mode.

They got 77,000 in a Preliminary Final in around 2003/4 between Sydney and Brisbane, do not know if it was an official sell out, somehow if I can recall, there was still tickets available.
was at that game, the crowd was smaller than the swans collingwood match earlier that season, which i'm pretty sure did sell out. i think both had the house full sign go up, just more no-shows at the prelim?

we got a deadset kicking in the last term as well, after being right in it a 3/4 time we were belted something like 7 goals to one point in the last... :cry: