31,000 for MES

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

31,000 for MES

Post by Egan »

There is a snippet on the whole force forums, which has alleged that Tony Sage was speaking to one of his mates about the new stadium. And that 31,000 had been agreed to as a compromise...which highlights the article that I stated, that the Force would accept anything around the 30,000 mark when I did the interview with the CEO of Town of Vincent.

It seemed the Glory didn't want a 35,000 seat stadium, well Sage that is. This plan would mean that the Shed gets destroyed, the southern and eastern stands lose the temporary stands and stands flank up to the Fred D Book Stand which stays as it is. However the plans for the 32,000 seat facility had two minor stands on each side of the Fred D Book, with 31,000 I would suspect it is one stand.

It will be a top stadium and I won't complain about a 31,000 seat stadium...I would expect it also allows in the future for a World Cup bid for the western side to be expanded to a three tier monster stand.
NEWS on the stadium front...
Speaking to the new owner of the Glory on Wednesday night and he said that they are going ahead with the redevelopment of MES...

HOWEVER aparently it is only going to be 31,000 seats not the 35,000 that the Force wanted. This was a compromise between the 2 teams for the size of the venue. Aparently they are in negotiations with contractors for food and drink stuff and when that is all ironed out they are going to make the announcement. He did say that it was going to be April/June which conflicts a bit with what the Force membership guys and the Major Stadia Taskforce have said (they were saying March announcement).

Who knows what you can trust but he seemed genuine enough, he was just chatting with a friend of mine after Touch rugby and got to talking about it.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

There is a snippet on the whole force forums, which has alleged that Tony Sage was speaking to one of his mates about the new stadium. And that 31,000 had been agreed to as a compromise...which highlights the article that I stated, that the Force would accept anything around the 30,000 mark when I did the interview with the CEO of Town of Vincent.

It seemed the Glory didn't want a 35,000 seat stadium, well Sage that is. This plan would mean that the Shed gets destroyed, the southern and eastern stands lose the temporary stands and stands flank up to the Fred D Book Stand which stays as it is. However the plans for the 32,000 seat facility had two minor stands on each side of the Fred D Book, with 31,000 I would suspect it is one stand.

It will be a top stadium and I won't complain about a 31,000 seat stadium...I would expect it also allows in the future for a World Cup bid for the western side to be expanded to a three tier monster stand.
Seems reasonable. So I guess we’ll see the design in 3 or 4 years?

This is roughly the reverse of the Melbourne stadium. In this case it’s a new rugby (sic) club over the top an existing soccer club and dominating the capacity debate.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Simmo79 wrote:
Seems reasonable. So I guess we’ll see the design in 3 or 4 years?
The design has been done and Cam has it in his inbox, when I get back, I will try and find it.

It's not an artist impression its just plans of it to 32,000, with area's shaded in of where the stands are going to go and how much each stand will hold. I sent it to Yob as well, if he just wants to put it up on this thread.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Just emailed Tom Baddeley the Media Manager for the Western Force, he said that this rumour was 'way off the mark'.

So we have a denial from the Force.

Chris Egan

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Thanks

Simon Lee

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

:lol:

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

i couldn't find the article when i looked.
Scribbler;11670491 wrote:From today's West:

$200m stadium plan for rival codes
GARETH PARKER

A brand-new rectangular stadium seating 35,000 people and costing more than $200 million could be built from scratch at Members' Equity Stadium under an option being considered by the State Government's major stadium task force.

The task force, headed by Chamber of Commerce and Industry boss John Langoulant, asked the Town of Vincent last December to come up with a plan for a brand-new 35,000-seater stadium built to world-leading specifications, along the lines of Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, unencumbered by budgetary constraints.

Vincent mayor Nick Catania and chief executive John Giorgi presented their interim findings to the task force's technical advisory committee on Monday. The plans, drawn up by Peter Hunt Architects, show:

•Complete demolition of the existing Members Equity Stadium infrastructure.

•A realigned and slightly enlarged pitch to International Rugby Union specifications.

•An enclosed and continuous two-tier grand stand with a curved roof.

•A sunken playing field, underground parking, corporate suites and merchandise, food and beverage facilities.

However, Vincent, which is desperate for Perth Oval to remain the site of WA's premier rectangular facility and sensitive to a brand-new stadium's price tag, is also continuing to pursue the staged development of Members Equity Stadium to take it from its existing 18,000 capacity to 22,500, 25,000 and eventually 32,500.

This option would retain the existing infrastructure at Members Equity and ultimately cost as little as half as much as a completely new stadium.

Mr Catania said the council's strategy was to present a range of options at a range of price points because it acknowledged the Government could only spend a finite amount of money on sporting stadiums.

“Members Equity is the rectangular stadium and it can be adapted to whatever budget the Government puts to us,” Mr Catania said. “It's in the right location and generally accepted already as the (State's) premier rectangular stadium.”

Vincent will make its final presentation on both options to the task force later this month.

Mr Langoulant could not be contacted yesterday.

The 52,500 capacity Suncorp Stadium - the home of Queensland rugby league which was formerly known as Lang Park - was completely rebuilt in 2003 to cater for rugby union, soccer, gridiron and concerts and is now Brisbane's foremost sporting facility.

Meanwhile, Premier Alan Carpenter claimed yesterday that he met the WA Football Commission only to ensure it would present the task force with all the information it needed to produce an informed report.

He refused to reveal what he thought of the WAFC's $400 million plan to rebuild Subiaco Oval because: “I don't want to send a signal from today about what option I might or might not prefer because it'd be read and analysed a thousand times over.”

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

“I don't want to send a signal from today about what option I might or might not prefer because it'd be read and analysed a thousand times over.”
Maybe because we have been waiting for 6 years...

•Complete demolition of the existing Members Equity Stadium infrastructure.

•A realigned and slightly enlarged pitch to International Rugby Union specifications.

•An enclosed and continuous two-tier grand stand with a curved roof.

•A sunken playing field, underground parking, corporate suites and merchandise, food and beverage facilities.
Looks much like a Reebok Style venue they are looking at...

This is where the Glory would probably have to look for a new ground - WACA most likely.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

However, Vincent, which is desperate for Perth Oval to remain the site of WA's premier rectangular facility and sensitive to a brand-new stadium's price tag, is also continuing to pursue the staged development of Members Equity Stadium to take it from its existing 18,000 capacity to 22,500, 25,000 and eventually 32,500.

This option would retain the existing infrastructure at Members Equity and ultimately cost as little as half as much as a completely new stadium.
This is the sort of reporting we have done, and the fact is that the plans that Giorgi announced, as something I was not aware of.

But as we did report last month, all three sporting codes are behind the bid to develop it to 35,000.

"200m stadium plan for rival codes"

Shows you what a joke of a paper it is, to be that blatently bias in a headline. Unless someone else can tell me how else to take a word such as 'rival' in a headline, from a Weagles loving paper.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Meanwhile, Premier Alan Carpenter claimed yesterday that he met the WA Football Commission only to ensure it would present the task force with all the information it needed to produce an informed report.
From the statement of the Major Stadia Taskforce in order to get the information it needs in the managing of a major stadium, which is what they are finding out from the WAFC.

So from just assuming things, the WAFC have been a little un-cooperative in releasing 'all' documents to the Stadia Taskforce.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I thought ‘rival codes’ meant soccer and rugby :)
Sounds like they’re angling for the upgrade rather than the entirely new stadium:
“For $100m you can get a full upgrade of an existing stadium or you can get a slightly bigger stadium for $200m. Which will it be?”
“The cheap one.”

And if they did opt for the exy version, why would the Glory want to leave?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

“For $100m you can get a full upgrade of an existing stadium or you can get a slightly bigger stadium for $200m. Which will it be?”
“The cheap one.”

And if they did opt for the exy version, why would the Glory want to leave?
Especially in this state.

If the sexy one does get chosen, it means the whole site gets levelled and they start from fresh.

Which means Glory needs to find somewhere to play while its getting built.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

How about we fill MES at least once before there's any further talk of a larger capacity?

Unless they've got an ironclad contract with the Force to play all their games there, any capacity extension will be a complete waste of money.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Unfortunately mate, its going to happen because the Force won't survive at MES and they will not sacrifice revenue to go to Members Equity Stadium.

The development is happening, because the Force have the demand to fill 27,500-30,000. Which is why MES never sells out.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

look forward to it opening after 2017