320 million Indoor Stadium for Perth

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Re: 320 million Indoor Stadium for Perth

Post by Egan »

Timbo wrote:So... a half billion dollar indoor stadium, primarially for concerts.

Hmmm.

Unless Perth is bidding for an NBA franchise, I call shenanigans.
Hopman Cup is a very important event and the previous State Government wanted to keep the Hopman Cup in Perth. Decided it also wanted to construct a building that would be 'iconic' thus the increasing cost...

Same logic will be behind the new outdoor stadium.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... on-begins/

Last photos of inside the Ent Centre. Only went there twice in my life.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Timbo wrote:So... a half billion dollar indoor stadium, primarially for concerts.

Hmmm.

Unless Perth is bidding for an NBA franchise, I call shenanigans.
I still haven't worked out why the thing has a f***ing retractable roof. However, I did find out that due to noise restrictions that the roof will be closed for all concerts held there.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ Tennis...

I think its because Melbourne has it, so Perth wanted it in theres as well...

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Someone should have reminded Perth that it doesn't host the Australian Open, or even an outdoor tennis tournament. Unless they intend on playing the WA Open there.

Honestly, for a city that can't build a f***ing hot dog stand without everyone having a coronary, that retractable roof is a remarkable achievement. In that it's the most useless thing ever built in WA.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ I'm more pissed about the 100 million dollar underground car park...biggest waste of money ever. Considering the State Government are only going to spend 88 million on NIB Stadium redevelopment

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:^ I'm more pissed about the 100 million dollar underground car park...biggest waste of money ever. Considering the State Government are only going to spend 88 million on NIB Stadium redevelopment
Car parks are just 2 slabs of concrete. It's likely the only part of the structure that would produce a return in its own right.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:^ I'm more pissed about the 100 million dollar underground car park...biggest waste of money ever. Considering the State Government are only going to spend 88 million on NIB Stadium redevelopment
Yeah, i'm not quite sure why they built that either given the bloody thing is located in the city - where there are carparks galore. That's why you build it in the city, so you don't need to build specific carparks.

Mind you, at least the carpark will probably get filled during the week. Yob's right, at least it'll produce a return.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

yob wrote:
Car parks are just 2 slabs of concrete. It's likely the only part of the structure that would produce a return in its own right.
The people who run NIB Stadium would make more money if they had a 188 million dollar upgrade rather than 88 million dollars.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Democracy doesn't work like that Egan.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

The carpark at Etihad is the most profitable part of the stadium, so definitely worthwhile.
although that $100m figure surprises me.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Is the Etihad carpark used during the week for businessmen? Makes sense. Perth could have the same, like the Sydney EntCent. And while we're at it, build a multi-stopey car park over the Gold Members Carpark at the SCG/SFS and build underground ones so that the sports fields in Moore Park can return to being sports fields.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

^ The problem is there is plenty of opportunity to make heaps of underground carparks everywhere else in that vicinity in the future (massive tracts of land). Could have allowed the private sector to build it and it sort of defeats the purpose of building it smack bang next to the busiest train station in the city.

The Car Park is also a few streets away from the business district, so its busiest time could have been during the weekend. Could very easily have done without it and let another company build one with the other 13 billion dollars of investment going into the immediate vicinity of the building.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Jeffles wrote:Is the Etihad carpark used during the week for businessmen? Makes sense. Perth could have the same, like the Sydney EntCent. And while we're at it, build a multi-stopey car park over the Gold Members Carpark at the SCG/SFS and build underground ones so that the sports fields in Moore Park can return to being sports fields.
Tick....and connect it to the city via light rail from NSWU...... Tick......getting State govt to convince CMPT to hand over control of Moore Park sports grounds to the control of SCGT....Blaaaaaaaa

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:^ The problem is there is plenty of opportunity to make heaps of underground carparks everywhere else in that vicinity in the future (massive tracts of land). Could have allowed the private sector to build it and it sort of defeats the purpose of building it smack bang next to the busiest train station in the city.

The Car Park is also a few streets away from the business district, so its busiest time could have been during the weekend. Could very easily have done without it and let another company build one with the other 13 billion dollars of investment going into the immediate vicinity of the building.
In all fairness, the Arena site used to be a carpark before the development and always used to be full. Maybe they just did their sums and thought they could actually make a profit. How many car bays are in there? 3000? x $15 a day x 300 days and there's $13.5 million gross per year. No idea whether it's 3000 or 300 bays though.