320 million Indoor Stadium for Perth

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Re: 320 million Indoor Stadium for Perth

Post by yob »

austadium threads are like parallel universes

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

yob wrote:austadium threads are like parallel universes
One day, all the conflicting but simultaneously held ideas in Egan's head are going to try to mesh. I think it's going to look a little bit like someone dropping an operating sawmill into another, larger, sawmill - it's going to be an explosion of twisted metal and supersonic lumps of wood.

We should sell tickets.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dibo, misquoted my statement in the General Discussion thread again, just to get one upmanship.

There is no doubt that WA Voting public, wants more and more return from the economic boom and for those who don't follow politics, many suggest that WA has nothing to show from the boom.

I disagree with that sentiment (re-read that quote, "a voting public that expect more from the boom". My argument was simply adding the pressures that Barnett has to look at, just because we have horizontal fiscal equalisation, doesn't mean that state expects lower desires and needs.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:Dibo, misquoted my statement in the General Discussion thread again, just to get one upmanship.

There is no doubt that WA Voting public, wants more and more return from the economic boom and for those who don't follow politics, many suggest that WA has nothing to show from the boom.

I disagree with that sentiment (re-read that quote, "a voting public that expect more from the boom". My argument was simply adding the pressures that Barnett has to look at, just because we have horizontal fiscal equalisation, doesn't mean that state expects lower desires and needs.
Where is the bit I've misquoted?
Egan wrote:I agree with you mate on one level, but WA gets revenue from mining. It also has higher costs from mining, due to higher public sector wages, higher construction costs and a voting public that expect 'the boom' to deliver something.
Egan wrote:It was Michelle Roberts f**k up when she was Minister of Housing and Works. She decided that they needed to change the plans and add an underground carpark during the economic boom...

Its a case of a government with too much money to spend...
In one post it's doom and gloom, in the other it's raining gold bars. Pick one.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dibo, most West Australian's would suggest that our boom ended in terms of unlimited unemployment, strong wages growth etc etc in December 08.

The Michelle Roberts government that had the 2 billion dollar surpluses every year are very different to the current government that is expected (because of GST payments falling) to have a defecit of around 200-300 million dollars.

Not that I am worried about it, but Barnett came to power vowing to have a budget surplus every year of his government. West Australian's consider a strong budget surplus a signal of great wealth. But it also rises expectations for the public.

In the WA context, we are not in the boom now.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

In simple terms they don't want to work in the boom, but get less return from their tax dollars because they continue to get penalised by the GST. Even if it means new rail in Adelaide and better health in Tasmania.

Barnett won't sign up to a Health Plan that reduces WA's GST grant to 1 billion dollars after the health payment is siphoned off to the Federal Government by 2013/14. Especially when electricity, gas charges are going up as big government subsidies end.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

If that kind of behavioural economics were true people in NSW and Victoria would never work.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:If that kind of behavioural economics were true people in NSW and Victoria would never work.
NSW and VIC have a greater federalist viewpoint. I think WA should embrace this desire, but the political reality is that Barnett has to protect their GST revenue for political realms. Especially now that the 'population' expect boom style governance, with all the trappings that money delivers. Even if it means the budget now goes into defecit...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 5866956757

Good to see the roof has arrived...

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

two timelapses from opposite angles which are both awesome...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26142215@N05/4605980799/
the waaaaaaahmbulance

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyPgrCJ3 ... r_embedded

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... _2174731_s.

Perth Entertainment Centre gets demolished.

Now both of our dinosaurs are gone...

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Hey, question.

It occurs to me I've been following this thread forever and I have absolutely no idea what this stadium is actually for.

I mean, Subiaco and nib are disgraces yet the Wildcats get $320 million for a stadium? Am I reading that correctly?

Was the Burswood dome not in better nick as an indoor facility than either of the two outdoor stadia were?

In short... Why was this money not spent towards Stadium WAAAAAAA?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Timbo wrote:Hey, question.

It occurs to me I've been following this thread forever and I have absolutely no idea what this stadium is actually for.

I mean, Subiaco and nib are disgraces yet the Wildcats get $320 million for a stadium? Am I reading that correctly?

Was the Burswood dome not in better nick as an indoor facility than either of the two outdoor stadia were?

In short... Why was this money not spent towards Stadium WAAAAAAA?
Timbo, more like 495 million...

This stadium is being built for Concerts/Hopman Cup

Burswood Dome is going to be demolished as its a loss making venture for the owners and has more value as a car park. So it would have left Perth as having challenge stadium with awful transit links as the major concert venue in town.

Like all sporting infrastructure, we waited until something was collapsing (Ent Centre had concrete cancer) and Dome was about to be demolished before we build anything...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

But the 100 million dollar car park underground gets on my nerves, when you could have spent it on a rec stadium.

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

So... a half billion dollar indoor stadium, primarially for concerts.

Hmmm.

Unless Perth is bidding for an NBA franchise, I call shenanigans.