320 million Indoor Stadium for Perth

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Rob
Gold

Re: 320 million Indoor Stadium for Perth

Post by Rob »

A question that came up in a work discussion yesterday:

Why the f**k does this place have a retractable roof? It must have added $100m to the cost and for what? The occasional novelty of an open air Wildcats game?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Your work conversations are way better than mine - and you raise a damn good point.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simple. Somehwere along the line a bureaucrat defined the job done right as being catering for the 1 in 100 event that requires an open roof - and the 50/50 chance the weather allows it. These people aren't accountable to us because our incomes are stolen from us to reinforce their authority. Don't like it? Get an accountant.

A fukn roof...... :lol:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

It has a retractable roof? WTF?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Hopman Cup would be that once a year event. And maybe so you can air the place out after a particularly bad concert.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

yob wrote:
deejaybee wrote: Sorry I was referring to financial return being the principal factor in making money, as suggested in a earlier post. For the exact obvious reasons you stated regarding public goods.

Why do people build hostpitals if their not making a significant financial return? To me (as a healthy person) the same argument applies for civic spaces. The funny thing to me is when people are crying out for infrastructure, they complain about how much it costs.

I can understand in extreme cases with public inrastructure such as Victoria's new PT ticketing system where there is a 370%+ cost blowout (and counting) of an already-expensive system. Though to be critical of projects that are needed,

Why does the Victorian Government run the Australian Grand Prix at a loss? Because they believe that the public benefit will eventually outweigh the immediate loss of the race itself (with whatever complimentary good or service that could be logically considered, from the pubs in South Melbourne to the aluminium used to build the grandstands or the rent generated in storing the temporary equipment to higher tourist income, etc).

PS: I only used VIC examples because thats what i'm most familiar with
This just doesn't compute.

At the most basic level, if one justifies public spending using a CBA that overweights 'social' benefits to account for financial losses, it still doesn't address the fact that money spent uneconomically on social infrastructure impacts your ability to fund other socially beneficial infrastructure! Yes! One overblown money no object stadium means you can't build another stadium. At some point you have to do the dirty and crunch numbers on these projects, because government funds are scarce and a choice has to be made who misses out.

Also, I've said it elsewhere, it's zero sum economics. Any benefit you gain from government spending where the sole purpose is to increase the slice of the pie is directly counteracted by competing states doing the same. Typical example - each state runs ads on how fantastic it is to live in the state. If they all work there's no gain for anyone except literally the public servants paid to commission the ads.

We've put up with government chest beating about their investment expertise for a very long time, and unfortunately people aren't critical of it. I've sat alongside public sector bureaucrats who had the hide to suggest they need a bigger budget so they can get the job done 'right.' For what defintion of right? If it falls apart once a year and needs funding that otherwise would be called a 'bailout' in another sector held to higher standards, then how the hell is it a job done right?
I've made my point unclear (and made a few mistakes in my writing)...of course you are correct.

What I was trying to say is that if something is desperately needed, wouldn't you just want the damn thing built?
I don't think WA sports fans would give a rats arse if Stadium WA actually got built for $700m or $1bn...at least it would be built.
Rob wrote: Why the f**k does this place have a retractable roof? It must have added $100m to the cost and for what? The occasional novelty of an open air Wildcats game?
:lol: Makes my point redundant...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

deejaybee wrote:What I was trying to say is that if something is desperately needed, wouldn't you just want the damn thing built?

You list all the things you could buy, you prioritise by need and by price, and you make a call. There has to be a process to establish those priorities. That process is the cost benefit analysis, and it does require calaculating raw dollars. The process in this instance is clearly broken, because someone prioritised an opening roof at presumably enormous extra expense. Is that 1 in 100 and 50/50 chance event more important than hospital beds?

Also remember that the reason why government 'needs' to fund stadiums is that the tenants don't pay a rent that reflects the costs of providing the infrastructure. Why they don't is a combination of not passing on the true cost to the consumer, and their expenses being skewed and effectively pocketing the government money. Take note football players - football can afford to build stadiums, if football pays players less. They factor in a government funded no obligation loan for the facilities they use in their wage demands. You don't pay rent, you can afford to pay me more. Why does the buck stop with the tax payer?

If this thing truly costs 500 million to provide then send Metallica the bill.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

the opening roof was part of the design brief.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

the crow wrote:the opening roof was part of the design brief.
The question is why was the opening roof part of the design brief?

docker
Bronze

Post by docker »

i took these today

i must also state, that i am unaware as to how, some of these photos mysteriously appeared on my camera when i got home... considering they are taken in areas or restricted access

the entry into the underground carpark

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ha, I like the photo with the Subi light towers in the distance. Good to see the long tradition of tresspassing to get stadium shots continues...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

so how much of this budget did Busswell spend on banging some minger?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

the crow wrote:so how much of this budget did Busswell spend on banging some minger?
It was Michelle Roberts f**k up when she was Minister of Housing and Works. She decided that they needed to change the plans and add an underground carpark during the economic boom...

Its a case of a government with too much money to spend...

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:
the crow wrote:so how much of this budget did Busswell spend on banging some minger?
It was Michelle Roberts f**k up when she was Minister of Housing and Works. She decided that they needed to change the plans and add an underground carpark during the economic boom...

Its a case of a government with too much money to spend...
I thought WA didn't get a return from the boom? Muppet...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

^^^ I was so close to raising that issue.