Melbourne NSL grounds

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Nic
Bronze

Post by Nic »

This is my favourite thread - thanks for adding to it HD. I'd love to see what Schintler Reserve actually looked like!

Thing is, from Google Earth and other photos I've seen of BT Connor Reserve, the hills looked steeper, they're not, obviously. It's also good to see a near NSL crowd still attending matches in the VPL, this just doesn't seem to happen with the NSW League.

When I was in Melbourne a few years ago we stayed at Coburg, little did I know how close we were to Preston and Heidelberg's grounds. The only ground I saw was the boring old MCG.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Were the seats at Preston attached to old terracing? It looks a bit like that.

Thanks for the pics HD.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Superb stuff HD (along with your Morwell pics)!

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Nic wrote:... When I was in Melbourne a few years ago we stayed at Coburg, little did I know how close we were to Preston and Heidelberg's grounds. The only ground I saw was the boring old MCG.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good stuff. Like HD, I loved the enclosing cyclone fence - about the first thing I noticed! I was puzzled by the Union Jack.

Nic
Bronze

Post by Nic »

Well while some of you guys probably go to the MCG when it's empty and look at the huge grandstands and dream about days gone by, I'd much rather grace the hallowed turf at say "Schintler Reserve" and wonder what it was like to stand on the "terraces" on a cold and wintry Melbourne July afternoon watching Footscray battling it out with Brisbane City in a dour 0-0 draw overlooking the city skyline through the misty rain, looking at the programme and wishing I'd have gone to the Olympic - St George match in Sydney.

Don't mind me, but there's something about these run-down Melbourne former NSL grounds that conjures up all images in my mind of the history of something that could've been but wasn't.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

This is serious bumpage but I just happened to find footage of Schintler Reserve on You Tube tonight.

Round 8 NSL 5 March 1989

Enjoy it Nic.

By the way the crowd for this match was 5500.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At how skinny John Markovski is :lol:

Nic
Bronze

Post by Nic »

Fabulous, Thanks HD!

It looks a lot better than I remembered however. I seem to remember it being a real dump, but it looks kinda okay there.

Kelly_7
Bronze

Post by Kelly_7 »

Egan wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At how skinny John Markovski is :lol:
yeah he does look skinny in that video, i didn't know that he made his debut at the age of 15, anyway great goal by a great player.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

[quote="Kelly_7"]

yeah he does look skinny in that video, i didn't know that he made his debut at the age of 15, anyway great goal by a great player.[/quote]

QFT, its interesting to see how as a striker he was able to change his gameplay. Towards the end of his career with Carlton and Perth, he was a solid striker who was lethal anywhere inside the penalty box.

While when he was younger he was lethal from distance. Shows the signs of a good player that he was able to adapt.

Nic
Bronze

Post by Nic »

The Schintler Reserve that I remember seeing on television was a lot "rougher" looking, a bit more like Somers Street Stadium, the hills around the ground didn't look very well maintained and even looked bare of grass in some parts or was it protruding rocks? I could be wrong.

I also seem to remember a factory behind the right hand end hill as shown in that video, but I'm going back as far as the early '80's and by 1989 when that video was taken it may have gone.

Did anyone here ever go to this remarkable ground? I'm assuming that the sheds as shown now as part of a factory area were behind the dug outs in the video, but probably either behind a hill or possibly the hill area on that side of the ground was split in two by the dressing sheds?

John Markovski did make his debut for Sunshine George Cross in the NSL at age 15. Remarkable!

But this thread is about Melbourne NSL grounds, not John Markovski, NSL Grounds, most notably the most unrecorded, most mysterious ground Schintler Reserve, home of the least documented NSL team, the mighty Footscray J.U.S.T.

Uncovering information on this famous club or Schintler Reserve is like being on an archeology expedition!

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Well we've got the one person in the entire country who could bring archeological skill and stadiumological knowledge together.

Over to you, Senor Scoop

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

But this thread is about Melbourne NSL grounds, not John Markovski, NSL Grounds, most notably the most unrecorded, most mysterious ground Schintler Reserve, home of the least documented NSL team, the mighty Footscray J.U.S.T.

Uncovering information on this famous club or Schintler Reserve is like being on an archeology expedition!
LOL
Well we've got the one person in the entire country who could bring archeological skill and stadiumological knowledge together.

Over to you, Senor Scoop
When I go to Melbourne in June, I will have a semester of a Grad Dip in Archaeology under my belt. I will try and uncover some info when I go to the ground in June. Maybe it can be an austadiums tour to Schinter Reserve, depending on the amount of people who are in Melbourne for the WCQ :wink:

Nic
Bronze

Post by Nic »

Scoop,

One reason it's so difficult to find information about "Le Stadium De Schintler" is that like it's most infamous tenant, Footscray J.U.S.T., it doesn't exist anymore.

It is apparently a carpark in a container terminal isn't it? That's why we need an Archeologist to dig this carpark up to see if we can find remains of Cedo Cerkovic (Footscray's first NSL Coach) or any of the other illustrious icons that graced its hallowed turf. Even the burnt remains of a Croatian flag will do, an old match day program folded into a paper-aeorplane aiming in the direction of Denis Boland's goalmouth . . . anything!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

LOL

Well I am not a qualified archaeologist yet. The pictures show the container terminal...

If you can get the Container Terminal to allow it, upon completion of my Masters I will look at doing it. So around 2011. :wink: