hot_dogma does Geelong (may take a while to load)

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
hot_dogma
Platinum

hot_dogma does Geelong (may take a while to load)

Post by hot_dogma »

After constant requests by one particular forumite (yes you know who you are :lol: ), I spent yesterday afternoon -Thurs 23 June, down in Sleepy Hollow.

site of Corio Oval

Although the oval and stands were demolished in approx. 1976 to build the Geelong Conference Centre, the location can still be found. A memorial stone is located on the site. The ground itself was in Geelong East on the edge of Eastern Park close to the shores of Corio Bay as highlighted in the map below. It was said in its time to be one of the most picturesque grounds in Australia.

This pic shows the drive entrance to the former ground

The Geelong Conference Centre occupies the site

The following four pics show the memorial stone

The 'outer' of Corio Oval viewing it from Limeburners Road

A slight mound can be seen in this pic possibly being a remnant from the spectator embankment. After the ceasation of Australian football and cricket, Corio Oval was the home of trotting and greyhounds in Geelong.

Limeburners Road. The perimeter of Corio Oval is to the right and Geelong East Golf Club is to the left. The setting even now looks rather isolated. Imagine what it would have been between 1878 - 1940 when the Pivitonians called it home?

Ford Stand rear Balcony

As debated in an earlier thread, here is the rear of the Ford Stand which overlooks Kardinia Oval No. 2 where Geelong Cricket Club plays in Victorian Premier Cricket.

West Oval

The home of Geelong West who played in the VFA between 1963-1987, the ground is distinctive as it still has the cycling track around the boundary line. The bluestone stand is the Flowers Family Stand and the other building is the Polwarth Pavillion, the football club clubrooms of the now Geelong West St Peters FC. The Roosters' ground has lights which are often used. A few years back Werribee played some 'home' games here at night.

Geelong Arena

Known over the years as The Arena or Ford Arena, this is the home of ex NBL side the Geelong Supercats. From memory it had the unusual configuration of two tiers almost right on top of the main basketball court.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Fantastic work hot_dogma!! I have never been to the site of Corio Oval before so is very interesting to see what it is now!

You have done a great job taking photos from various Geelong stadia!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I always get the heeby jeebies every time I look at former grounds. A mixture of sadeness and curiosity. I'm an emotional guy.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

Great pics Hot Dogma, shame you couldn't get some pics of the inside of the ford arena would have been interesting to see, but well done.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

reece I would've tried to go inside but I was with a mate of mine who was 'pressuring' me to get back before the peak hour traffic. All these pics were taken between 1530 and 1630 yesterday.

Maybe he was put off after get the once over by a guy from the Salvos (they own the conference centre) about recent break-ins when sitting in his car whilst I was taking pics of the stone.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

fantastic work hot_dogma....very interesting to see some of the other ovals and different styles of structures....eg the Bluestone stand at the West Oval is very graceful and intriguing....despite Melbourne's abundance of bluestone, I find it surprising that there aren't many more built of this - or at least more that have survived...considering how popular the material was. It certainly is an historically important stand and structure...style/period/material etc.
Thanks.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Re: hot_dogma does Geelong (may take a while to l

Post by sandyhill »

hot_dogma wrote:After constant requests by one particular forumite (yes you know who you are :lol: ), I spent yesterday afternoon -Thurs 23 June, down in Sleepy Hollow.
A request made a coupla hours after you took the shots?? Timing is everything. :lol: . An Austadium classic coincidence - moreso when considering that Corio Oval hasn't been an oval for years (which I didn't know).

Loved the photos - including the historic stuff on the memorial and also the West Oval. Liked the detail on the last remnants (the grassy mound) of the oval.

My interest in Corio Oval probably stems from some (very) old photos of the oval in a couple of books I have - including a classic shot of the main grandstand. The isolation of the oval is also displayed in some of these photos, with what looks like paddocks in the background. Geelong was only supposed to leave the ground for a temporary period (due to army occupation). Not much hope for any iminent return!

The fact is - I never knew that is where it was. For some reason (which I can't explain at all) I alway thought it was in North Geelong - and still existed. Checking my Melways, what I thought was Corio Oval is Osborne Park (not far from West Oval).

Speaking of West Oval - I like bluestone buildings of any description, so - great little stand. The glory days of Geelong West were in the 1970's when it as one of the powers of the VFA.
Last edited by sandyhill on Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Actually sandyhill the constant requests was by a NSW forumite. This unnamed forumite even used a WA forumite as a third party to emphasise their request to me. lol

I would have actually taken more pictures of West Oval but a junior team just started training as I pulled up and as a sign of the times I didn't want to feel like a pedophile taking pics when young teens are running around as someone may think it is suss. Even though I would be only 12 years older than them approx it's better to err on the side of caution.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

You're Welcome HD!

Great photos.

If I'm ever in Geelong I will have a kick at Corio.
Last edited by Jeffles on Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glory and Fame
Bronze
Location: At a sporting event somewhere near my home in Northmead, Sydney

Post by Glory and Fame »

Great pics. I know the area around the Geelong gardens well, but I never knew where Corio Oval was and never suspected it was there. I knew it couldn't possibly be that oval across the road from Corio Village.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Not only do we have photos.

We have education and knowledge from Hot Doogma.

A stone meaning so much to so many people...what a powerful sight

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

hot_dogma wrote:Actually sandyhill the constant requests was by a NSW forumite. This unnamed forumite even used a WA forumite as a third party to emphasise their request to me. lol
Now I don't feel quite so weird :lol: . (that's still not saying that I'm not).