Suncorp Stadium Opener

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Suncorp Stadium Opener

Post by Jeffles »

The opening clash for this new stadium on Sunday, an NRL match betwen the Brisbane Broncos and the Newcastle Knights is set to be a sellout. Due to construction delays, the capacity will be a reduced 48,000 but will be restored to the normal 52,000 by June 11, when the first State of Origin match at the new ground will be played.

There is a photo in today's Daily Telegraph on the back page. The stadium looks an absolute ripper. I can't wait for SOO or for an RL Test to be played there. The ground looks very intimidating. And will be even more so when Rugby LEAGUE or soccer (not RU :D ) fans populate the ground. Seats very close to the playing field, a well sloped and large first tier of seating make for an "in your face" atmosphere for the players. I can't wait.

zztopless
Bronze

Post by zztopless »

Well I'm going to the game, does anyone have any pics of how its looking now?

I have the feeling that the existing stand doesnt join up the the end stands in the same way the the opposite stand does, which will detract fromt he symmetry.

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

You're right, the older 3 tiered stand doesn't link up perfectly with the rest of the venue but hey think of it as adding character instead of a continuous boring stadium.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

You deffinately need a stadium of charcter, watching Sunrise today they had a tour of the new stadium, it was conducted atrociously, with no information on the stadium just a yabbering on about how good it is and laughing and a bloke who used to play rugby league for NSW, i dont have a clue his name, stumbling for words and didnt really wanna be there. But it was fantastic to see the stadium, Beattie over exadurated and stated that it was the best stadium in the world. The only information i got was that there was a spa in the home change rooms but not in the visiting ones. And you can watch the game while getting a beer. That they can pour 150,000 litres of beer an hour, Other then that it was a crap tour. It just showed you the new section of the stadium which was terrific. Other then that no nothing new. Hopefully the stadium will be filled to capacity against the knights, does this mean that people that dont support rugby are going, and will the crowd figures for the broncos increase due to the movement of games to a premier venue

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

There will be an element of people going there for the 'glamour' of opening day. But this should be expected. Most opening days have this. I have no doubt they will be Rugby League fans, just not those that regularly frequent Broncos games (even they have enemies in Brisbane).

But on the whole, the move back to Lang Park will be a success for the Brisbane Broncos and Queensland RL in general. ANZ Stadium, the de facto home of the past 10 yrs is poorly located deep in the southern suburbs of Brissy. The advantage of Lang Park is its inner city location, close to transport and entertainment facililities.

The stadium not blending in with the old stand won't pose too much of a problem. I do think it adds character not to have a perfecty symmetrical stadium. The best example of this is the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff. One of the goal ends has one MASSIVE tier of seating while the other ends have two smaller tiers. This is because there s another small Rugby Union field behind it. That club wouldn't budge and so they had to build that end differently to fit it within the property. Anyway, the result of this is one HUGE tier of seating that creates a Kop - like atmospehere (see Anfield Stadium, Liverpool FC for an explanation of Kop).

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

"Beattie over exadurated and stated that it was the best stadium in the world. "

OK..Yep..Suncorp is an awesome stadium and I think its great that we have another stadium of this standard in Australia,

BUT........

Is this guys on drugs or does he really just have no idea????

There are 2 stadiums in Aus alone that have facilities as good,if not better than Suncorp,or has he just ignored them?

Has he ever heard of:

Millenium?
Stade De France?
Reliant?
ArenA?
San Siro?
Azteca?
Ellis Park?
Auf Schalke ?
Sapporo?
Seoul WC Stadium?
Oita Big Eye?

etc etc etc..you get my point...

As I said,Suncorp is great,but the best in the World???? PLEASE!!!!..How embarrasing!!!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Beattie would be eating his words tonight. I think they should rename Suncorp Stadium "Docklands Stadium" after the shocker of an opening day they had today. Overzealous and inconsistent security, queues for toilets and at entrances and exits, a hopeless playing surface.

http://www.rleague.com/article.php?id=12102

I was shattered. But hey, it's not my home ground. It's not in my state. Let's hope the surface is better by Origin.

zztopless
Bronze

Post by zztopless »

I completely disagree with that review.

I was at the game. The stadium has an absolutely electric atmosphere. I was sitting in the top tier and it felt like i was on top of the game. Milton station was never designed to handle that many people. I walked to roma st like most did. Even if i was goign down the Ipswich line, I still would have used roma st.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

An alternative viewpoint. Good to hear zztopless.

I wonder why you didn't include his side of the story in your article Cam. You've appeared to have regurgitated the article link I gave you. That was only one side of the story so it seems. What made that view superior than the other.

hoffburger
Bronze

Post by hoffburger »

from what ive seen on lang park, it looks like the perfect football viewing ground. of course there is going to be initial problems, they are expected. i much rather this stadium the proposed stadium at the RNA purely for the fact that it has a bit of history behind it.

cant wait till wednesday....queenslander!

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Jeffles wrote:An alternative viewpoint. Good to hear zztopless.

I wonder why you didn't include his side of the story in your article Cam. You've appeared to have regurgitated the article link I gave you. That was only one side of the story so it seems. What made that view superior than the other.
I have to agree with you here Jeffles...

Cam..what are you doing???

One of the BEST stadiums in Australia has just opened and all we see from you is ...no comment at all...++ 1 HUGE negative article written by the webmaster of an unofficial Broncos Website?

We have no pictures..No request for pictures..No comments...No nothing apart from one guys point of view which in truth, you posted as a "reputable" news article without any link to the author!!..What the hells going on here!!!!!!

Maybe your Melbourne bias is shining through!!!!!!

( :) gotta livin up this place somehow)

Dan

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

:roll: Dan. Why don't you help out by forwarding material to me? Maybe if I ran this as a commercial site and made revenue from it, I could put more time and effort into the sites content. Fact is, I'm not. I run this site for my love of stadiums. So much of my time has gone into it, and it disappoints me when I get comments like yours. Luckily 99% of feedback I receive it positive.

Do you think the news content posted on this site is my point of view. Incorrect.

I never came across a good article promoting the good side of Lang Park to put on the site. Maybe if you did, and maybe found some good photos, you could forward them onto me?

Lang Park Photo (posted last week):
http://www.austadiums.com/gallery/view_ ... id=suncorp

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Cam,

What I was getting at is that the zztopless comments came before you put your article up on the website (by a margin of a few hours). I'm not accusing you of bias. Your opinions are usually good at calling a spade a spade. It was just that I thought you had the chance at presenting an alternatvie (by using the zztopless anecdote) and so you should have.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Yes but I didn't write or edit the article. Most of the time, I simply re-use articles (in full), rather than using several articles and facts to write my own. It comes down to time.

zztopless
Bronze

Post by zztopless »

The one thing that surprises me is that most articles in the traditional media touted it as a success. I certainly felt it was. The only problem I saw was that milton had too many people trying to use it, rather than using common sense and heading to Roma St which is designed to handle alot of people.

The flags issue I'm 50/50 on. I'd hate to be sitting behind someone with a big flag, but they do add to the atmosphere.