Building a new stadium in perth... at last.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

I imagine they'd want one team in each wouldn't they?

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Timbo wrote:I imagine they'd want one team in each wouldn't they?
Most definitely not. If it does get off the ground, it will probably be partly funded by selling the land at Subi.

And it would probably not be viable anyway with only 1 tenant.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

Ok I just thought maybe they could start a stadium for each club like the EPL :cry: Any way West Coast are averaging this year so far around 39,800 which is great similar to the Crows and the Crows have a 10,000 seat bigger stadium :shock:

Timbo
Silver

Post by Timbo »

Rob wrote:
Most definitely not. If it does get off the ground, it will probably be partly funded by selling the land at Subi.

All I hear is 'WA needs more stadiums' yet they'll fund a new one by selling their current best one.

How does that work?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Subiaco is not viable if a new stadium is built.

Subiaco's redevelopment is expensive
Subiaco is only 43,000 people, at present if the government builds a new stadium for 60,000 people, it means subiaco doesnt need to go through expensive gradual expansions.

A whole new stadium would have better facilities then just to continue to add on to Subiaco.

The road network around Burswood would work a hell of a lot better then around Subiaco.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Back to old subject comparing Perth to Brisbane in total crowd support in Domestic Competition, and it seems Perth to date is ahead by 4,403 people. This may change after State of Origin 2005 but to date, Perth is ahead of the city. Helps to clarify the issue :wink:

Added Adelaide for personal interest stakes, and their support is 100,000 more then Perth and each person has been to 2.5 sporting events since 2003.

Using Austadiums figures from 1/1 2003

ING Cup – Average Adelaide Oval – 2,690 32,281 spectators
ING Cup – Average WACA – 7155 93,019 spectators
ING Cup – Average GABBA – 7392 96,094 spectators
(Gabba has had two ING Cup finals compared to WACA’s 1)

NBL
Average Challenge Stadium – 3820 – Total 110, 275 spectators
Brisbane Convention Centre – 3221 Total 98,117 spectators
Powerhouse – 5536 – Total 177,146
AFL
Average Gabba – 32,675 Total 980,258
Average Subiaco – 36,506 Total 1,934, 816
Average AAMII Stadium – 36,837 Total 2,099,718

Super 12
Average Ballymore – 16,540 Total 198,475
Suncorp Stadium – 35,119 Total 70,237
(28,000 last weekend at Suncorp from QRU site, thanks DH)

NSL
Adelaide United and Force – Average 8592 Total Crowds 214,807
Brisbane – Ballymore – Average 2,293 Total 11,463
Perry Park – Average 2,614 Total 36,590
Perth Glory – Perth Oval – Average 10,045 Total 210,945
Subiaco Oval – Average 27,818 Total 55,635
(Includes Perth Glory final matches in Perth, Brisbane never made it into the finals, includes the lower spectating Adelaide City Force)

NRL
Brisbane – QE11 Stadium – Average 16,858 Total 84,290
- Suncorp Stadium – Average 31,039 Total 838,056
(includes State of Origin Crowds)
Perth – Members Equity Stadium – Average 13,293 Total 13,293

Attendance at all Major Domestic Competition in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide from January 1st 2003

Brisbane – Total 2,413,580
Perth – Total 2,417,983
Adelaide – Total 2,523,952 (even without the SANFL)

4403 people Perth is ahead of Brisbane in total spectators at major domestic sporting competitions around the country, it includes finals of all sports and the big State of Origin Match in QLD. Average Subiaco is still higher then average Suncorp despite State of Origin Games selling out 52,000.

International Events brisbane comes out top, because of larger capacity for One Day Internationals, Rugby Union Test Matches etc.

Hope this helps decide the debate between Perth and Brisbane...it seems both cities get relatively the same amound of Sporting spectators. I think Perth will get a bit further ahead by next year, with crowds for a whole new sport that will kick us out in front of Brisbane, unless they get a major increase in soccer/RL crowds.
Last edited by Egan on Thu May 19, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

Nice work Egan... thanks for proving my point :wink:

Did you include the Suncorp Super 12 game from the wkd which drew a crowd of 28k??? If not, it brings the total back to a 4k differential. Pretty bloody close overall though huh.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

Suprised to see Adelaide up in front beating Perth and Brisbane both being bigger cities. Egan is it possible to also do Melbourne and Sydney if you where to i'd think Melbourne would come out infront of Sydney.

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

Egan wrote:Back to old subject comparing Perth to Brisbane in total crowd support in Domestic Competition, and it seems Perth to date is ahead by 4,403 people. This may change after State of Origin 2005 but to date, Perth is ahead of the city. Helps to clarify the issue :wink:

Added Adelaide for personal interest stakes, and their support is 100,000 more then Perth and each person has been to 2.5 sporting events since 2003.

Using Austadiums figures from 1/1 2003

ING Cup – Average Adelaide Oval – 2,690 32,281 spectators
ING Cup – Average WACA – 7155 93,019 spectators
ING Cup – Average GABBA – 7392 96,094 spectators
(Gabba has had two ING Cup finals compared to WACA’s 1)

NBL
Average Challenge Stadium – 3820 – Total 110, 275 spectators
Brisbane Convention Centre – 3221 Total 98,117 spectators
Powerhouse – 5536 – Total 177,146
AFL
Average Gabba – 32,675 Total 980,258
Average Subiaco – 36,506 Total 1,934, 816
Average AAMII Stadium – 36,837 Total 2,099,718

Super 12
Average Ballymore – 16,540 Total 198,475
Suncorp Stadium – 35,119 Total 70,237
(28,000 last weekend at Suncorp from QRU site, thanks DH)

NSL
Adelaide United and Force – Average 8592 Total Crowds 214,807
Brisbane – Ballymore – Average 2,293 Total 11,463
Perry Park – Average 2,614 Total 36,590
Perth Glory – Perth Oval – Average 10,045 Total 210,945
Subiaco Oval – Average 27,818 Total 55,635
(Includes Perth Glory final matches in Perth, Brisbane never made it into the finals, includes the lower spectating Adelaide City Force)

NRL
Brisbane – QE11 Stadium – Average 16,858 Total 84,290
- Suncorp Stadium – Average 31,039 Total 838,056
(includes State of Origin Crowds)
Perth – Members Equity Stadium – Average 13,293 Total 13,293

Attendance at all Major Domestic Competition in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide from January 1st 2003

Brisbane – Total 2,413,580
Perth – Total 2,417,983
Adelaide – Total 2,523,952 (even without the SANFL)

4403 people Perth is ahead of Brisbane in total spectators at major domestic sporting competitions around the country, it includes finals of all sports and the big State of Origin Match in QLD. Average Subiaco is still higher then average Suncorp despite State of Origin Games selling out 52,000.

International Events brisbane comes out top, because of larger capacity for One Day Internationals, Rugby Union Test Matches etc.

Hope this helps decide the debate between Perth and Brisbane...it seems both cities get relatively the same amound of Sporting spectators. I think Perth will get a bit further ahead by next year, with crowds for a whole new sport that will kick us out in front of Brisbane, unless they get a major increase in soccer/RL crowds.
Cheers mate. Not much in it.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Challenge Stadium - Is limiting growth of Wildcats crowds, although have improved remarkably

AAMII Stadium - Larger stadium...Subiaco crowds would be boosted a hell of a lot if the capacity was greater.

Perth is doing damn well with the small stadiums we have...and this year the Wildcats sold out the stadium in the suburbs many a time.

Hmm but Adelaide is doing a hell of a good job...just wish the ING Cup crowds could be as high not just in Adelaide but around the country as they are in Perth and QLD.

But out of all the states it seems people who live in SEQ are less likely to go to a sports event then those in the rest of the major cities.

Will review the stats for Perth/Brisbane/Adelaide in 3 months time, to see what State of Origin etc has done for the crowd sizes.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Timbo wrote:
Rob wrote:

All I hear is 'WA needs more stadiums' yet they'll fund a new one by selling their current best one.

How does that work?
Because the current best one is crap.

WA doesn't need more stadiums, WA just needs a bigger, better one.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

reece wrote:Ok I just thought maybe they could start a stadium for each club like the EPL :cry: Any way West Coast are averaging this year so far around 39,800 which is great similar to the Crows and the Crows have a 10,000 seat bigger stadium :shock:
I think that's partly to do with the ticketing structure in SA. There are about 15-20,000 Football Park members, who aren't necessarily supporters of the AFL club playing there, and are consequently less likely to turn up to any given match. eg. Last week against Brisbane was a sellout, but there were clearly a lot of empty seats in the members area.

There are no stadium members at Subiaco, it's either club members (vast majority - WC have 40,000 and Fremantle have 34,000) or single ticket holders. So you're a lot less likely to get empty seats.

I also noted that it's a lot cheaper to go to the footy in SA than WA. A Category 1 Footy Park membership (i.e all 22 AFL games + SANFL games) is about the same price as a premium seat membership to either the Dockers or Eagles, and approx half the seats at Subi are premium or greater. So it's pretty unreasonable to compare raw crowd figures anyway.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ahh Rob you have hit a raw nerve with this ticketing issue.

I put it down it to Perthites being more stupid, we will pay to watch events at any cost (recent FFA WCCQ ticket prices stipulated by the governing body, gave the game at MES the highest ticket prices of any stadium)

AFL - People will pay anything to go.

NSL finals - people were paying up to a 1000 dollars for a ticket at Glory's first home final.

I think you tread a fine line...and dont want to piss Yobbo off as i have done before on this similar issue when I have brought it up.

I think South Australians are just smart, if they dont like the ticket price they just protest, I find this highly admirable...something which i dont think we can do...because our culture is so embracing to not caring about how much it costs we will just go to the match.

And Fremantle Dockers members are more likely to take up their allocation then West Coast Eagles Members...but its a bit different this year with the amazing success of the Eagles...but unlike other clubs, the scope for attendance growth has been limited throughout its history...has had to stay at 40,000 members for over a decade now.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Egan wrote:...has had to stay at 40,000 members for over a decade now.
...in terms of a cap on the number - - -the Eagles have only started to hit the 40,000 mark in the last few years....but the figure won't be allowed to challenge Collingwood or Adelaide, obviously due to the stadium factor.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Egan wrote:Ahh Rob you have hit a raw nerve with this ticketing issue.

I put it down it to Perthites being more stupid, we will pay to watch events at any cost (recent FFA WCCQ ticket prices stipulated by the governing body, gave the game at MES the highest ticket prices of any stadium)
Its just more supply and demand, combined with the fact that there is pressure on the 2 WA clubs to turn healthy profits to fund WA football development as the AFL contributes virtually nothing. Other than the 2 SA teams, no other AFL club has to give most of it's profits away. Which is yet another glaring inequality in the league. Collingwood makes $2m, and preceisely zero goes back into football development while the AFL kicks in millions towards Victoria every year. Wet Toast makes $2m, they have to pump over $1.5m of that back into football development while the AFL kicks in zero.

But back to the point, it is just insane to compare memberships and crowds with those in Victoria and SA because it is so much cheaper to go to the footy in those states. Even taking that into account, WA does very well.

But there is something silly about how Subi is probably the worst major AFL ground, yet the most expensive (except for the SCG).