Building a new stadium in perth... at last.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Given that West Coast pretty much sells out every game it plays at Subi, and even the dockers are now getting close to capacity crowds for an 'average' game, there is no doubt at all that Perth needs a stadium with capacity of about 60K (said this before on some of the numerous WA stadium/Subi threads). Its need is more than any other Aust city at present, as no stadium gets sold out or near to capacity so often.

Wether its a redeveloped Subi or a brand new stadium, I'll leave to the locals to discuss, coz I don't know enough on that topic - but its very obvious that a bigger stadium is badly needed.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I agree that Perth needs a larger main football stadium more than any other main city.

Perth is definitely in a stronger position that Brisbane crowds wise -
if they had a 60k ground, the Eagles could average 50k and sell out at least a few. The dockers right now get 35k average and could hit 50k for bigger matches.

Compares pretty favourably with the Broncos who are getting 30k in a 52k stadium.

Sure, SoO could pull 100k if Brissie had a big stadium, but an Eagles-Dockers derby could get, well, the total of a big Eagles crowd and a big dockers crowd. It sounds insane but a 100k+ crowd is not unimaginable once or twice a season (The same principle would apply in Adelaide for a showdown). So State of Origin and Derbies cancel each other out and Perth wins out because the two AFL clubs each have a bigger active supporter bases.

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

I would love it to be a stadium that can be made rectangle and be managable at the same time. Glory grand finals (potenitally semi's) and Wallabies matches would sell 60 K.

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

You're a dead set idiot mate.
Get a few more posts under your belt before you start mouthing off.
State of Origin would get 80k if there were such a stadium in Brisbane
I seem to recall the QE2 SoO when Suncorp was being rebuilt only got 48 000 when many soucres say the stadium holds over 55 000, so don't be too confident.
Every game the Wallabies have played at Suncorp has been a sell out
Simple not true, less than 50 000 showed up to the last one.

My Favorite
It is just plain stupid to say an NRL side should be averaging 38k, it isn't AFL mate.
With that attitude, it never will be. you have the City, only one team, and a fantastic stadium in a League state, why not pull what 'shity little Perth' pulls regularly.
Are you unable to count? It drew 30k against a lacklustre Bulldogs outfit not even in the top 10 teams.
I love it how moist you sound about this, Freo ( the city's second team) just pulled 36 000 against the last placed team.

Mate, just accept it, We out perform you. Just like how most West Australian are aware that Melbourne and Adelaide are more passionate then us. Hell I'm passionate about my teams and I'm sure you are but you can't deny the numbers.[/quote]

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
stadiumking wrote: As stupid and immature as you are JF, you got a laugh out of me!
an Eagles supporter getting all snobby and playing the moral upper ground thing; like how did I ever imagine in a million years that that would happen. :roll: Another insecure West australian who cannot handle having the piss taken out of him obviously.

My words about Eagles supporters obviously have touched a nerve, haven't they? Even Egan agrees with them, which pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

JF
mildly ammusing. I don't know what's funnier, JF missing Stadiumkings subtle compliments regarding his suburb blabing, or the fact that JF, obviously sparked by his own insecurities, passes off Stadiumking as a Western Australia who "cannot handle having the piss taken out of him", he's a victorian bucko.

Why would your eagle ranting touch a nerve? :? it's your issue, not ours. Moral of the story: Never take on an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

mike

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

perthsmike wrote:
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
stadiumking wrote: As stupid and immature as you are JF, you got a laugh out of me!
an Eagles supporter getting all snobby and playing the moral upper ground thing; like how did I ever imagine in a million years that that would happen. :roll: Another insecure West australian who cannot handle having the piss taken out of him obviously.

My words about Eagles supporters obviously have touched a nerve, haven't they? Even Egan agrees with them, which pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

JF
mildly ammusing. I don't know what's funnier, JF missing Stadiumkings subtle compliments regarding his suburb blabing, or the fact that JF, obviously sparked by his own insecurities, passes off Stadiumking as a Western Australia who "cannot handle having the piss taken out of him", he's a victorian bucko.
mike
:lol: cheers mike.
I think you summed it up perfectly. :wink:
I case you didn't realise, or drew random/inaccurate connotations from my post, I was saying that the immaturity was found in the fact that we were posting names of footballers that sound like genitals.
I don't care about what's said about the Eagles and their supporters - it doesn't affect me...seing as I have only been to a handful of Subiaco Eagles games, I don't really have an opinion on the 'stereotype of supporters' that the team draws. If anything, I barrack for my team....by your standards....more like a Victorian supporter.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Get a few more posts under your belt before you start mouthing off.
So does this mean i have the license to abuse the crap out of people :lol:

Adelaide more passionate for AFL/Test Cricket/Netball/Basketball...but were probably even or just ahead in soccer...Rugby Union - Perth.

In regards to the Eagles fans...no comment, everyone knows were I stand...but guys get with the topic...its old news...were having a debate about crowd figues :wink:

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

Todays West Coast v St Kilda game sold out 10 days ago. Could have easily filled 55,000 seats, potentially more.

mike

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

So does this mean i have the license to abuse the crap out of people
Ha :wink: Why not, you've earned it. Plus after as many posts as you've done, we know when to take it with a pinch of salt went you're mucking around, not saying what I said before wasn't serious, I ment it about crowd figures.

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

Every game the Wallabies have played at Suncorp has been a sell out
tom wrote:Simpley not true, less than 50 000 showed up to the last one.
England verse Australia sold out in less than 60 minutes mate. I was there. Wallabies tickets at Suncorp are in some cases almost double what you pay at Subiaco.[/quote]

It looks likely that Perth may pull larger crowds, but it is not a bigger sporting city than Brisbane, which was the point I meant to argue in the first place.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

How on earth can you judge how "sporting" a city is if not by its crowds??

As a neutral, I'm still not convinced that Brissy is a more sporting city than Perth.

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

Wally wrote:
tom wrote:Simpley not true, less than 50 000 showed up to the last one.
quote]

Simply not true??? It broke the ground record of over 52k, and as Wally mentioned, was sold out in 60mins with alot of tickets going for well over $100.

Ticket prices for Origin and Rugby Tests (even more so) are real expensive compared to most regular footy matches. This definitely has an impact on how many people attend sport for the rest of the season. In leagues case, Origin takes the shine off regular season games as it is so huge… something AFL games don’t have to worry about.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Whatever the truth about the merits of Brissie and Perth crowds on this thread, the fact remains that Brissie already has its you beaut, big, plush, SOTA stadium.

But Perth doesn't, and really needs one - badly (as shown by the repeated sellouts at Subi). Thats the point (well my point anyway!). The debate should be on where it should be - upgrade Subi or some brand spanking new thing somewhere else. I don't have the local knowledge to contribute an opinion on that, but am interested in what the locals think.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The debate should be on where it should be - upgrade Subi or some brand spanking new thing somewhere else. I don't have the local knowledge to contribute an opinion on that, but am interested in what the locals think.
We already have debated this subject to a high degree, with the consensus being that Burswood would be the best place for a 60,000 seat stadium, although personally I swayed to a stadium in the suburbs - Thomsons Lake.

The other topic is more popular, because we havent got into that one yet :wink:

Sandyhill this is probably the most indepth discussion we had of a new stadium at Burswood...beware though its full of Sandgropers.

viewtopic.php?t=137&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

If Perth do get a new stadium will subi be the home of Freo or will it become unused :cry: