Building a new stadium in perth... at last.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Cockburn Sound in WA is home to half of the Royal Australian Navy.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
Egan wrote:The West has done it again

A small article on front page and two page spread on page 10 and 11 about the Government proposing to merge the WACA and Subiaco into a large 55,000 seat stadium at a cost of 400 million dollars, they have identified 4 sites.

McGillivray Oval - Mt Claremont
Claremont Showgrounds
Belmont Park
Cockburn
Do you seriously have a suburn in Perth called Cockburn? That is even worse than Wattanobbi over here or Innaloo over there?

I demand that the new Perth stadium be in the suburb of COCKBURN. Maybe Dencorub or deep heat can look at sponsorship opportunities from the outset? How good it be if we had "Dencorub Cockburn Stadium", "Deep Heat House of (extreme) pain" or the more international-sounding "Stade de Coq".

Even better, appoint Bretty Heady as ground manager. and willie Dick as his deputy.

Opposition teams would certainly be HARD up against it winning at a foreboding place like that!

VOTE ONE FOR COCKBURN PARK!

JF
As stupid and immature as you are JF, you got a laugh out of me!
Bill Brownless was disappointed that in the recent Sydney-West Coast match we didn't see "the ruck matchup of Cox on Ball"
But that's enough of that. :wink:

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Wally wrote:
Rob wrote:
Wally wrote:Is Perth even big enough to have a 60k seat stadium? I really have no idea.
If Brisbane is, then Perth absolutely is. Perth draws bigger crowds more often.
No. They don't.
Yes. They do.

The only time Brisbane fill their 'super' stadium is for one off special events. Otherwise it generally remains half empty, as it did *again* last weekend.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

stadiumking wrote: As stupid and immature as you are JF, you got a laugh out of me!
an Eagles supporter getting all snobby and playing the moral upper ground thing; like how did I ever imagine in a million years that that would happen. :roll: Another insecure West australian who cannot handle having the piss taken out of him obviously.

My words about Eagles supporters obviously have touched a nerve, haven't they? Even Egan agrees with them, which pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

JF

PS:- "In your Cottesloe slums...." :P

JF :roll:

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

We also have innaloo and Upper swan.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

JF its pronounced -Co-burn (silent k)

Add to the fact that its the coldest part of the metro area...reguarly gets below freezing at night...would be a good place.

But that is were I have always wanted the Mega-Stadium in Perth.

JF - im a rebel Eagles supporter...in that I find so much faults in the organisation...but will never abandon the club i have grown up with since I was 5 years old...like a letter to the editor in the west stated "Eagles fans are oblivious to the drama of Cousins because they are so arrogant"

I do wish we had a different sort of support at our games...but hey the Dockers crowds arent much better :roll:

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

Rob wrote:
Wally wrote:
Rob wrote: If Brisbane is, then Perth absolutely is. Perth draws bigger crowds more often.
No. They don't.
Yes. They do.

The only time Brisbane fill their 'super' stadium is for one off special events. Otherwise it generally remains half empty, as it did *again* last weekend.
Are you unable to count? It drew 30k against a lacklustre Bulldogs outfit not even in the top 10 teams.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Wally wrote:
Rob wrote:
Wally wrote: No. They don't.
Yes. They do.

Are you unable to count? It drew 30k against a lacklustre Bulldogs outfit not even in the top 10 teams.
Doesn't it hold 55k? i.e about half empty.

AS USUAL.

My God, imagine if the Broncos were shite. You'd be looking at 3/4 empty every match.

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

I'm sorry Wally but there is no way Brisbane get better crowds than Perth, Just like there's no way Perth out does Adelaide (well may be in the 2nd teams like Freo and Port but I'm pretty sure they are even). You only fill Suncorp for 1 or 2 SoO games. Wallabies don't even break 50 000. There is no doubt that Perth could rival the Brisbane SoO crowds for the Derby if there was a suitable venue.
By the way, If the Eagles or the Dockers pulled 30 000 to a game, the powers that be would be asking what happened?
The Bronocs are doing well and a close to the top of the ladder, they should be getting 38 000+.

DH
Silver

Post by DH »

Rob wrote: My God, imagine if the Broncos were shite. You'd be looking at 3/4 empty every match.
They are shite compared to the Broncos sides they used to see in the 90's. I think the Broncos will barely ever field a side weaker than it has been the past couple of seasons so u will barely see 3/4 empty stadiums.

SOO games sell out within a couple of hours and are on top of Broncos regular season games. The anzac test also got 40k this year.

Wallabies games do easily get 50k and the Reds playing the Waratahs will always get at least 40k when at Suncorp.

Lions also get 33k which is probably just under what the Dockers get.

Anyway I don't see how Perth get bigger crowds than Brisbane, would be pretty similar though.

The Perth super stadium would be great, Australia and the west can easily do with one.

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

tom wrote:I'm sorry Wally but there is no way Brisbane get better crowds than Perth, Just like there's no way Perth out does Adelaide (well may be in the 2nd teams like Freo and Port but I'm pretty sure they are even). You only fill Suncorp for 1 or 2 SoO games. Wallabies don't even break 50 000. There is no doubt that Perth could rival the Brisbane SoO crowds for the Derby if there was a suitable venue.
By the way, If the Eagles or the Dockers pulled 30 000 to a game, the powers that be would be asking what happened?
The Bronocs are doing well and a close to the top of the ladder, they should be getting 38 000+.
You're a dead set idiot mate. State of Origin would get 80k if there were such a stadium in Brisbane, there is no way Perth would get anywhere near that. Every game the Wallabies have played at Suncorp has been a sell out, (apart from the World Cup games but both were over 45k and one was against Romania and the other was too highly priced). The game against England sold out in under 60 minutes last year, as the French game will do. Those two games, as well as a Bledisloe, would all push for 70k-80k if there was such a venue. It is just plain stupid to say an NRL side should be averaging 38k, it isn't AFL mate.

Brisbane-Perth comparison: (averages)
Brisbane Lions (around 30k)
West Coast (around 40k)

Rugby is uncomparable

Rugby league is uncomparable

Brisbane Bullets (around 2k)
Perth Wildcats (around 3-4k)

I don't know soccer or cricket but I'd say Brisbane would come out on top in cricket easily and Perth would do the same in soccer, but who cares?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Wally wrote:It is just plain stupid to say an NRL side should be averaging 38k, it isn't AFL mate.
I disagree with this. If the Broncos were as good a team as they were twelve years ago I would expect that to be their average crowd.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Domestic ING Comp is both strong in QLD and WA.

While we slaughtered Brisbane Strikers in the NSL.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Jeffles wrote:
Wally wrote:It is just plain stupid to say an NRL side should be averaging 38k, it isn't AFL mate.
I disagree with this. If the Broncos were as good a team as they were twelve years ago I would expect that to be their average crowd.
I agree ( :lol: ).

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Wally wrote: You're a dead set idiot mate. State of Origin would get 80k if there were such a stadium in Brisbane, there is no way Perth would get anywhere near that.
Utter bollocks, derbies would get that. This weeks West Coast - St Kilda game sold out last week, and would have got at least 60k but for stadium capacity.
Every game the Wallabies have played at Suncorp has been a sell out, (apart from the World Cup games but both were over 45k and one was against Romania and the other was too highly priced). The game against England sold out in under 60 minutes last year, as the French game will do. Those two games, as well as a Bledisloe, would all push for 70k-80k if there was such a venue. It is just plain stupid to say an NRL side should be averaging 38k, it isn't AFL mate.
And the International Rules game a couple of years ago sold out months in advance, as it will probably do again this year. The Wallabies game generally sells out, which given we don't even follow rugby much here is pretty impressive.
Brisbane-Perth comparison: (averages)
Brisbane Lions (around 30k)
West Coast (around 40k)

Rugby is uncomparable

Rugby league is uncomparable

Brisbane Bullets (around 2k)
Perth Wildcats (around 3-4k)

I don't know soccer or cricket but I'd say Brisbane would come out on top in cricket easily and Perth would do the same in soccer, but who cares?
The point: Perth has bigger crowds more often. No point comparing basketball and domestic cricket crowds when assessing the viability of a 55-60k seat stadium.

Of all 7 AFL games played, the lowest crowd has been 33,500, 4 were sellouts.
West Coast averaged 40,000 last year, Fremantle 36,000. And that's when both were middle of the table.
No Brisbane sporting team averages that. And the brand spanking new stadium recently built lies half empty for a vast majority of events held there.

And to that dope that suggested Adelaide crowds > Perth crowds, last weekend was a reasonable example.
Fremantle 36,500
Port 28,000 (and falling)

A bit hard to compare West Coast crowds to Adelaides, because both seem to sellout every game.