Building a new stadium in perth... at last.

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
rileystuart
Bronze

Building a new stadium in perth... at last.

Post by rileystuart »

The more the WA government delays any information about a subiaco oval redevelopment the more it becomes obvious that they arnt going to do it.

Solution 60 000 - 65 000 all seater stadium at belmont park.

spruse up the area around it, close to river, have a telstra dome style creation, without the roof. Clubs, bars, function rooms. Obviously it couldnt be totally replicated because there would be no roof but parts could be taken.

Thoughts? im sure it has been discused long and hard, but as a Melbourne (demons) supporter living in WA and taking out both a Melbourne membership and a dockers membership (only so that i can see some football, dont get carried away) sitting at subiaco oval every second week and looking at the three tiered stand makes me wonder....

BTW: spelling has never been a strong point of mine and hi all, im new here. I dont know why stadiums interest me, but they just do.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Welcome to another Perthite

Just what the Eastern Staters need :lol:

Look back 4-5 pages all this has been discussed in massive detail by the Perth posters, and yes we dont disagree with the prognosis and that we need to start from scratch again.

But in all liklihood Subiaco Oval will be redeveloped to a 60,000 seat stadium.

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Egan wrote:Just what the Eastern Staters need :lol:
:wink: :wink: not all the Eastern Staters!

IanRitchie
Platinum

Re: Building a new stadium in perth... at last.

Post by IanRitchie »

rileystuart wrote:I dont know why stadiums interest me, but they just do.
That sums us all up!

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

Welcome and as Egan said; a few pages back this was discussed in length. If you can't be bothered then I'll let you know that even though Belmont Park would be Ideal, the WATC are about to redevelope the peninsula with a shifted tract, Entertainment precinct and appartments. I don't think there will be enough room for a football / cricktet Stadium. Though If you like Belmont Park then I will assume you'd have no problem with the Old East Perth Powerstation site which is also marked for redevelopment. The shell of the powerstation is to be make into a cultural centre (probably Australian or Mordern Art) but there is just the right amount of room left and the otherwise empty block for a Stadium and it's right on the sparation of the Midland and Armidale trainlines.

greeny
Bronze

Post by greeny »

tom wrote:Welcome and as Egan said; a few pages back this was discussed in length. If you can't be bothered then I'll let you know that even though Belmont Park would be Ideal, the WATC are about to redevelope the peninsula with a shifted tract, Entertainment precinct and appartments. I don't think there will be enough room for a football / cricktet Stadium. Though If you like Belmont Park then I will assume you'd have no problem with the Old East Perth Powerstation site which is also marked for redevelopment. The shell of the powerstation is to be make into a cultural centre (probably Australian or Mordern Art) but there is just the right amount of room left and the otherwise empty block for a Stadium and it's right on the sparation of the Midland and Armidale trainlines.

theres only one problem with that area, its the second most contaminated area in perth. its got bulk lead, zinc and nasty meatals and sh*t in the ground, but i'll pay the fact that it would be a very good place for a stadium.

p.s. im also new and from perth :D

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The West has done it again

A small article on front page and two page spread on page 10 and 11 about the Government proposing to merge the WACA and Subiaco into a large 55,000 seat stadium at a cost of 400 million dollars, they have identified 4 sites.

McGillivray Oval - Mt Claremont
Claremont Showgrounds
Belmont Park
Cockburn

Yet Belmont Park is already ruled out because racing is ready to finalise their plans for the area.The WACA has asked for it to be the site of the major sporting stadium.

But interesting, their will be an 8 month inquiry into the need for this stadium...and quite seriously they need to look at putting some of these Stadium officianados onto this inquiry.

Unfortunately it was not on the net...but someone from Perth maybe able to photograph the articles on the proposed new stadium.

Its good we get constant news...but its basically more speculation.

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

Is Perth even big enough to have a 60k seat stadium? I really have no idea.

mikeyraw
Bronze

Post by mikeyraw »

Easily. we have a population of 1.5 mil. I think.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Wally wrote:Is Perth even big enough to have a 60k seat stadium? I really have no idea.
If Brisbane is, then Perth absolutely is. Perth draws bigger crowds more often.

And Belmont Park can't be off the agenda, the government can compulsorily acquire the land quite easily. And in any case, there's enough land there for a stadium and a racecourse, particularly if you relocate the state tennis centre (which lets be honest, can be located anywhere), or bulldoze the golf course.

rileystuart
Bronze

Post by rileystuart »

In the Sunday Times today there was a piece on how half the town of canbridge had lost their positions in the councils and that they would re-vote on the perry lakes issue.

good to hear.

plenty of room for a race course and a 60 000 seat stadium at belmont park. Along with a new home for the WA museam in the old east perth powerstation.

Wally
Bronze

Post by Wally »

Rob wrote:
Wally wrote:Is Perth even big enough to have a 60k seat stadium? I really have no idea.
If Brisbane is, then Perth absolutely is. Perth draws bigger crowds more often.
No. They don't.

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

Yes Perth do. West Coast about 38,000 a year freo 33,000. Lions 30,000 and Broncos 28,000 i think. So there Perth amazingly get bigger crowds. :shock: :D :) :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Eagles - 39,000
Dockers - 34,000
Glory - 10,000
Warriors 6,000

I would say Brisbane gets a slightly larger crowd for domestic comps...should be better to gauge when we get our Super 14 team into the city. :)

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Egan wrote:The West has done it again

A small article on front page and two page spread on page 10 and 11 about the Government proposing to merge the WACA and Subiaco into a large 55,000 seat stadium at a cost of 400 million dollars, they have identified 4 sites.

McGillivray Oval - Mt Claremont
Claremont Showgrounds
Belmont Park
Cockburn
Do you seriously have a suburn in Perth called Cockburn? That is even worse than Wattanobbi over here or Innaloo over there?

I demand that the new Perth stadium be in the suburb of COCKBURN. Maybe Dencorub or deep heat can look at sponsorship opportunities from the outset? How good it be if we had "Dencorub Cockburn Stadium", "Deep Heat House of (extreme) pain" or the more international-sounding "Stade de Coq".

Even better, appoint Bretty Heady as ground manager. and willie Dick as his deputy.

Opposition teams would certainly be HARD up against it winning at a foreboding place like that!

VOTE ONE FOR COCKBURN PARK!

JF