The Age Landmarks: Lake Oval

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It is a good plan. The uses suggested are reasonable.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

BUMP

If anyone wants to see what the Lakeside Oval looked like in its playing days both empty, full of people and inside the change rooms, get a hold of The Great Macarthy.

It's an Australian film starring John Jarrat, Barry Humphries and Judy Morris produced in 1974 about a young country star from Kyneton who is seduced by the South Melbourne Football Club following the trials and tribulations of life and being the number 39 guernsey wearing full forward for the Swans (I kid you not! :lol: ).

I watched it last night and was marvelling at how the ground looked. There is also match sequences at the Junction Oval and MCG too so you get to see them in 1974 living colour as well.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Sounds great - predated 'The Club' (the movie if not the original Damien Williamson play), with all its Victoria park scenes, by a few years. Must look into it.

I've also been told about a TV series sometime back the about 'Acky (short for Achilles) Jones', based on a play about a country bumpkin superstar coming to the big smoke (his trials and tribulations etc). It was apparently on the ABC. Anyone know anything about it?

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

The Great Macarthy is a film I've been wanting to check out for at least 14 years but couldn't find a copy having read the book of the same title (albeit different spelling) when I was about 13. When I was alerted by a mate that it's out now on DVD I had to check it out. I'm not one to purchase DVD's but when I saw it in an Aussie Rules box set with The Club, Year of the Dogs and War Without Weapons a doco trailing Barassi's 1979 season with North for only $29.95 at KMart I just couldn't resist.

I've heard of Achilies Jones but didn't know of any TV Series adaptation. Come to think of it i'm surprised there hasn't been more tv shows/movies of this type.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

hot_dogma wrote:The Great Macarthy is a film I've been wanting to check out for at least 14 years but couldn't find a copy having read the book of the same title (albeit different spelling) when I was about 13. When I was alerted by a mate that it's out now on DVD I had to check it out. I'm not one to purchase DVD's but when I saw it in an Aussie Rules box set with The Club, Year of the Dogs and War Without Weapons a doco trailing Barassi's 1979 season with North for only $29.95 at KMart I just couldn't resist.

I've heard of Achilies Jones but didn't know of any TV Series adaptation. Come to think of it i'm surprised there hasn't been more tv shows/movies of this type.
Don't leave the f***ing thing in Melbourne because I may want to borrow it. :D

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Jeffles wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:The Great Macarthy is a film I've been wanting to check out for at least 14 years but couldn't find a copy having read the book of the same title (albeit different spelling) when I was about 13. When I was alerted by a mate that it's out now on DVD I had to check it out. I'm not one to purchase DVD's but when I saw it in an Aussie Rules box set with The Club, Year of the Dogs and War Without Weapons a doco trailing Barassi's 1979 season with North for only $29.95 at KMart I just couldn't resist.

Don't leave the f***ing thing in Melbourne because I may want to borrow it. :D
Ummmmmmmmmm it's in Melbourne. :lol:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Typical. I think I may have to go get them myself.