$450 Million Upgrade for Adelaide Oval - will host AFL/WC

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:
Jeffles wrote:Adelaide Oval was around 124m before the redevelopment. t will be wider now. If it is used for a FIFA WC, I expect to see a massive temporary stand at the southern end. There won't be much room between the new northern stand and the tennis club but I think it will fit.

What will become of Football Park?
I don't know how true this is, because when I was in Adelaide they were pushing the stand forward to actually make the venue more intimate. So it will be less than 124m.

What I have found most interesting is the new authority. Will the WAFC accept something similar, or will they hijack any attempt to get a World Cup stadium in Perth?
You're both half right - except Jeff has his north and south mixed up. Don't do that in Korea.

The boundary at the wing will be pushed out, and the boundary at the pockets brought in to achieve ovalisation. The current north west pocket is basically a rectangle with a round corner, hence the 'impossible pocket.' At its widest point the ground will be wider.

It's funny, because the narrow field was the only thing AO had going for it for football. Now that's even gone. What a rubbish world cup venue.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Oops. I left my compass at home.

How long after people bag the viewing for soccer before Mike Rann compares the new ground to that other ovalm Maracana?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

yob wrote:
Rob wrote:Iconic scoreboard?????

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It is. Last of a dying breed.

Of course, this point is lost on someone from WA - the state that legislated for more historic buildings.
What the hell are you talking about yob, it's almost identical to the scoreboard at the WACA. And that's a piece of sh*t.

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

yob wrote:

Of course, this point is lost on someone from WA - the state that legislated for more historic buildings.
Didn't stop the SCG removing their hill ,stands and board .
If it's such an issue follow the Libs plan and build a new stadium from scratch .

Nines
Silver

Post by Nines »

Egan wrote:WAFC is owned by the Government, thus the Government don't have to request it, they can do whatever they want with it. Unlike the WACA which owns the land...which the WAFC does not do.
FFS egan the WAFC lease Subiaco and the WACA lease their land . I presume the government leased the land to the WACA so tech cally they own the land .I think the WAFC lease the land from Subiaco .

But all that and the fact that the WACA are content to roll in mud and not progress is irrelevant .The fact is the government can do anything it wishes if it wants to .IN a perfect world we'd have cricket and football sharing a great stadium in the heart of the city . Yes , it's not going to happen because the WACA are going to retire on their little nest egg never to have see large crowds again and the government , well , it's not even interested , let alone forcing the issue .

P.S. The MCC don't own the MCG either they only entrusted to run it through the MCC .

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Jeffles wrote:Oops. I left my compass at home.

How long after people bag the viewing for soccer before Mike Rann compares the new ground to that other ovalm Maracana?
You mean the one that is narrower and shorter than his proposal and has to be completely redeveloped because the upgrade plans submitted with Brazil's Bid were completely inadequate?

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

gyfox wrote:

You mean the one that is narrower and shorter than his proposal and has to be completely redeveloped because the upgrade plans submitted with Brazil's Bid were completely inadequate?
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story gyfox. Barely anyone in SA will know that and a lot would just fall for the spin spun by Media Mike.

This is what Adelaide need to build...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Dasher39 wrote:
gyfox wrote:

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story gyfox. Barely anyone in SA will know that and a lot would just fall for the spin spun by Media Mike.

This is what Adelaide need to build...

If they could build it for the A$125M that it is costing South Africa I am sure they would.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Just giving some thought to what can be done to salvage what remains of Adelaide Oval now that it's basically dead and buried as a cricket ground. Test matches don't need 50,000 seats, shield and domestic ODI don't need 500. And fffwoodeeeee doesn't need an historic scoreboard.

Maybe pick up the old girl and plonk her down at the Thebby Oval. Put some seats on the terraces, refurb the 2 grandstands. Ready made cricket ground, complete with lights (which will be used in the upcoming SANFL season, so they work!). Would also work well for SANFL finals. Maybe even tell the surviving 10 Peckers supporters to give it up and move Torrens back to Thebby as an anchor tenant.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

gyfox wrote:If they could build it for the A$125M that it is costing South Africa I am sure they would.
It could cost them $1 and I still reckon Media Mike would say NO.

It would cost half of the proposed cost for the AO redevelopment though and still give them $275m to play with for the redevelopment of AO to get it up to AFL level.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines wrote:
Egan wrote:WAFC is owned by the Government, thus the Government don't have to request it, they can do whatever they want with it. Unlike the WACA which owns the land...which the WAFC does not do.
FFS egan the WAFC lease Subiaco and the WACA lease their land . I presume the government leased the land to the WACA so tech cally they own the land .I think the WAFC lease the land from Subiaco .

But all that and the fact that the WACA are content to roll in mud and not progress is irrelevant .The fact is the government can do anything it wishes if it wants to .IN a perfect world we'd have cricket and football sharing a great stadium in the heart of the city . Yes , it's not going to happen because the WACA are going to retire on their little nest egg never to have see large crowds again and the government , well , it's not even interested , let alone forcing the issue .

P.S. The MCC don't own the MCG either they only entrusted to run it through the MCC .

Two differences Nines

WACA has sold its land off in the past, it used to incorporate Gloucester Park. So they have kept afloat in the past by selling land and will do it in the future.

WAFC will never be able to sell any of their land as it is Crown Land managed by the Town of Subiaco.

Very different leases. As I have mentioned before the WACA is a Hong Kong style lease. In that context 999 year lease meant forever when they were delivered...

It was also given to the WACA by the State Government, not bought in the late 1890's.
Last edited by Egan on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

That village looks nothing like Adelaide! More like Westlakes.....there's even a lake there :roll:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Rob wrote:
yob wrote:

What the hell are you talking about yob, it's almost identical to the scoreboard at the WACA. And that's a piece of sh*t.
Not having the score up at all times is the most annoying aspect of watching cricket at the MCG in terms of stadia facilities. Plus I love how they have a bar underneath the scoreboard - classic.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Nines wrote:

Glad to see you finally admit to that one.

If you had a brain you would absorb what I have said. The WACA ownership structure is UNIQUE in Australian Sport.

They own (I have a different context of 999 year lease) the land , the venue and they run the venue. Adelaide Oval, MCC, SCG, GABBA are all facilities where the government owns the land.

It is also why the Gallop Government refused to contribute any money to the last WACA redevelopment. Compare that to State Governments in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

I have spoken to WARL officials who would have played NRL matches scheduled at MES at the WACA a few years back in a perfect world, because they believed they would get a bigger crowd. But didn't because they believe they would be disadvantaged at supporting a non government owned venue and would cause conflict with government officials. What other venue in the country has this relationship - None. Because the WACA is a unique sports management case Australia wide and is more like the English EPL structure of clubs owning their land and ground. Eg Leeds were able to sell parts of Elland Road to finance debt. Just as the WACA did in the 30s and 50s.

Subiaco Oval is owned by the Government through the WAFC and it is on Crown Land. WACA is exactly like the SANFL owning the land at Football Park. They won't move unless they get a better offer. The WAFC controlling them is not a better offer at all, especially with the way they have pissed off the Western Force. No sporting team in Perth wants a bar of the WAFC. The only difference between Football Park and the WACA is one is inner city, the other is a suburban ground that takes an hour to get to the city when crowds head northwards of 40,000. Thus the WACA have no intentions or need to ever leave, unless they get duly compensated...They don't ever want to move. Its the leading motto of all Presidents and CEO's. Maintain WACA as the home of WA Cricket. SACA's is - We must do all we can to attract major sporting events and we will do whatever we can to get them. Two different ideologies that dominate the culture of the different organisations. Which is why what can be achieved in Adelaide can not be in Perth. Not that Nines will absorb anything I say...

Eg if they decided to put a freeway through the middle of the WACA, it would be the same as providing compensation to houses being demolished for a major freeway in Auckland. If they did it at other cricket grounds in the country, they would recieve no compensation, other than maybe Adelaide City Council who own the Parklands and Adelaide Oval.

I hope Nines looks at the UNIQUE aspect of the WACA management scheme before he thinks anything like the Adelaide situation can happen in Perth. Its like comparing apples with banana's.

The WACA can get more money out of the non sporting sector. Eg Apartments/Office building where they collect lease money in return for the contruction of these facilities on WACA land as well as financing the redevelopment that will commence at the end of the next Ashes series in WA in 2011...