SCG Northern Stand

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: SCG Northern Stand

Post by Jeffles »

I tend to agree with Rob. Without wanting to offend Mr Crow, the roof doesn't integrate well with those adjacent. The Trumper Stand's does, which to me is part of the appeal but I can see from the next stage of the development that the SCGT want a similar roof at the Churchill-Brewongle corner. When that's done, it won't look so out of place as there will be a bit of symmetry.

The gradient of the seats in the Members and Ladies is rather flat, causing a lower gradient at the Noble Stand so as not to obstruct the sightlines of those in the Members. You can get a steeper gradient and better viewing if you moved the stand back a few metres. Crow, will they be extending the playing surface at the northern end?

IMO, works at the SFS will probably be deferred. The SCGT is very skewed towards cricket even four footy codes using the precinct. Rod Cavalier is a big cricket man, the redevelopments favour the cricket viewing areas first (north and south) before the good footy viewing areas (east and west). And with no FIFA WC bid in sight, sufficient capacity for Sydney FC, NRL and "super" rugby, they can palm it off for a while.

My SFS fantasy upgrade would be for larger ends being brought up to the pitch and suites all along the back of the bottom tier on the wings similar to the press boxes now but shaving off the top rows there so that the back row of the wings is on the same level ground as the concourse behiond them. Oh, and a better roof of course.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Planning docs are below including loads of photographic representations of the design.

http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.a ... ob_id=2651

As suspected, the stand is moved back a few metres. This will please the Swans but also allow for a better gradient on the bottom tier of the Noble. The drawings show it won't be as good as the concourse on the eastern side but it is better than what's at the bottom of the Noble Stand now.

There is more overhang east into Fox Studios. The stand is generally larger but it is not too large so as to look out of place. By the looks of things, there will be an extended lower tier where the Messenger Stand is now and no upper tier because the scoreboard will be placed there. The roofed part of the new structure will have a similar footprint as the current Noble/Bradman Stand but with more rows of seats. The light tower between the Members and the Noble is being moved as well.

Some of these pics have a different roof to the one in the pressa articles. Probably becasue these pics are old.

crow, any word on the old mechanical SCG Scoreboard? Wasn't something supposed to happen with that?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

They said it would be rebuilt but not when / where.... All the pieces are in storage somewhere.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I see. My recollection was of an idea from the SCGT that it could go somewhere near an SCG entrance and display erecreate historic displays from past matches, which would be nostalgic. Even though the SCG has been donating stands to Sydney suburban venues since the 1930s, I doubt this scoreboard will move elsewhere.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

It was going to be gate E but funds didn't extend....it may find a place with the new development.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Nice effort on Twitter Jeffles, quoted in the SMH.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks, dibo.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

^^ just had that explained to me by a mutual acquaitance. Fine words Jeff. TBH I found the attempt to brush it off as "Australian humour" really insulting

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It was pretty lame.

Just on the SCG Northern Stand, one amazing thing about the design's fotprint is that the tennis courts appear untouched. This is quite a feat given how close they are oto the back of the MA Noble Stand.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I wrote:...one amazing thing about the design's fotprint is that the tennis courts appear untouched. This is quite a feat given how close they are oto the back of the MA Noble Stand.
My bad. They're closing and it is uncertain whether they will reopen. The Masterplan has room for them though.

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com ... t-closure/

easystreet
Bronze

Post by easystreet »

I read that the Noble/Bradman stands were due to start being pulled down after the last international match this season,on February 26;does anyone know if the process has begun? I want to go out to the SCG and take some pics.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Not yet....

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Interesting to see the SCG returned back to a one sided ground with the members end empty in preparation for major demolition to start.

easystreet
Bronze

Post by easystreet »

Apparently they only started the gut-out of the seats in the Noble/Bradman stand last Thursday,so watching the Swans game on tv yesterday,there hasnt been much done yet,but there should be a big change by the next game in 2 weeks.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I know people who are Swans members. They've been moved from the Bradman Stand to the Trumper Stand. They're pretty understanding of the move. I guess they are comparable positions for viewing.